Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2013/03/16 17:26:46 (permalink)

Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip

Last weekend Trudy and i took a trip to the Seattle area to see a  new Cirque du Soleil show Amaluna in suburban Redmond. The weekend also included visits to nearby Snoqualmie and Rosyln to visit sites associated with memorable 1990's television series.
      Our trip began as it often does with a visit to the Roadfood reviewed Burgerville for a quick  breakfast. Burgerville is a local chain devoted to local food and its breakfast menu features local sausage and free range eggs on its breakfast sandwich .  Our drive to Tacoma suburb Lakewood was uneventful and we reached our destination the recently Roadfood reviewed Moon Rise Cafe fairly quickly. The Moon Rise featured excellent food and atmosphere. Vegetarian eggs benedict , good biscuits and gravy, excellent coffee and very large sandwiches were featured. Service was first rate(apparently there is a local ordinance against empty coffee cups)  and the vibe was one of a local gathering place . One of the owners told us with obvious pride that they had bested road food reviewed    Knapp's in a breakfast competition . To sum up, Moon Rise Cafe is a worthy stop for roadfooder's looking for a breakfast place in the south Tacoma and environs.
     Dinner was at the Soho restaurant in downtown Redmond. The place has a very diverse dinner menu(waffles, short ribs tacos, seafood, soups, various salads) with no particular ethnic or food type emphasis. We opted for a tapas style dinner of soups, clam cakes and italian breads. Also a non-alcoholic agave drink that I liked.The restaurant could have used a little more focus but the food was pretty good and it was only a mile to the cirque du Soleil show.
     Amaluna was a little different from some of the other Cirque shows i have seen. The band was all female, the music more rock oriented, the message one of feminine strength and endurance. As always the the acts were sensational ,the highlights a pair on unicyclists in hoop skirts, tightrope walkers and a hunky juggler of great skill. A worthy addition to the Cirque family
post edited by mr chips - 2013/03/30 02:06:15

7 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8075
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/16 20:33:16 (permalink)
    Nice trip.

I went to only one Cirque du Soleil once.  The part about them taking people out of the audience made it so I could never, ever go again.

I'm still scarred by the screaming child whose mother was pulled out of her seat against her will.
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/16 20:36:51 (permalink)
    mar52

Nice trip.

I went to only one Cirque du Soleil once.  The part about them taking people out of the audience made it so I could never, ever go again.

I'm still scarred by the screaming child whose mother was pulled out of her seat against her will.

never really seen anything like that and i've seen about 12 cirqs.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/16 22:12:41 (permalink)
    I've seen it but both times the people were plants who were actually clowns from the show. Wife trudy recalls she knew something was up because one of the men wore linen pants which folks in portland never wear,
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/03/16 23:32:49
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/18 13:06:31 (permalink)
    Mr chips, I was living in Fall City when they were filming the Twin Peaks movie.  I watched them filming for about 5 days straight out in North Bend, 7 months pregnant.  Got to meet Mr Lynch, Chris Isaak,  Kiefer Sutherland,  Kyle MacLaughlan.  Chris Isaak was up for MTV video of the year for Wicked Games and they had a satellite truck on scene the day of the awards in case he won.  David Lynch is a soft spoken sweetie.  I don't know what I expected but it wasn't that.

I don't supposed you stopped at Small Fryes in Fall City while you were in the valley?  I love their food.  They've been there since before we moved there in the mid-80s.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1732
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/18 15:46:46 (permalink)
    Clam Cakes!!!!!!!!!  Oh my!  What I'd give for a good clam cake here in Philly.  I can get fried clams in a few spots, but they are a drive!  Not quite as far as Seattle.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/19 14:02:30 (permalink)
    mr chipsWe opted for a tapas style dinner of soups, clam cakes and italian breads.
    That sounds excellent!  Is a clam cake just like a crab cake except for the main ingredient?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Cirque du Soleil,Roadfood, and Vintage T.V, A Fun Weekend Road Triip 2013/03/21 22:10:48 (permalink)
    Day 2 of our trip began at the Maltby Cafe in the crossroads of Maltby, Washington. Our website thinks the place is in Snohomish, the gas station thought it was in Woodinville but whatever the location this is a wondrous rooadfood spot. The location is in the old town school in the basement which I understand used to be a gym. The place was crowded filled with lots oaf families and loud but not rude kids having fun. Though only a short drive from Seattle it was world away in tone. Customers were not hipsters but people who appeared to be rural out with their family on an outing.  the food was wonderful, portions huge. A dinner plate sized cinnamon roll drenched in butter lasted for 3 meals, first rate egg dishes with lots of veggies and fresh roasted coffee .Service was efficient and friendly.The outside was covered with signs of long ago service stations. There is even a coffee cup shaped drive through expresso stand next door. This a 30 mile trip by freeway from downtown Seattle and is simply a must stop  fort he serious roadfooder. Buffet buster's trip report has excellent photos of the place and it would be worth looking at that thread if I have sparked your interest.
            Since we were already away from downtown we decided to drive to a couple places that should be familiar to anyone who was a fan of 1990's television. Our first stop was the town of Snoqualmie to look at Snoqualmie Falls. Fans of the show "Twin Peaks"would immediately recognize the waterfall that cascades over a cliff in the opening sequence. The local light company set up a power station near the falls and now runs a park near there. Fans of the show may remember a fictional lodge on the show modeled on the real life Salish lodge which is located just above the falls. It was a cold , wet miserable day and the warm cup of coffee by the fire brightened my day considerably. Snoqualmie is also near  number of skiing spots and it is only 30 miles from Seattle via freeway. Beautiful falls which brought back memories of a favorite show.
         Another 80 miles brought us oer the Snoqualmie pass to another town of 90's t.v fame. The town of Roslyn , Washington would be recognized by most of you as Cicely, Alaska in "Northern Exposure" The mural seen at the beginning of the show is real and is a real restaurant. The building exterior for Dr. Fleishman's office is still there and is now a gift store. The Brick Tavern is a real place and some filming of the show was done and a set based on its look was also used. The Brick is the oldest restaurant in Washington and was built from locally fired bricks. and Sears Roebuck kit for the bar. Probably road food worthy for the look and the very good homemade potato chips.
           Roslyn's history is interesting as well. It was a coal mining town and the mine was located under the city. African Americans worked in the mines so it had a significant minority population. There are also 27 (sic) cemeteries in town divided by fraternal orders and ethnic groups. And a lot of folks have vivid memories of the t.v. series. It was fun looking at the buildings and remembering views from the t.v. show which was one of my favorite shows of the 90's
             The cable news showed heavy rains in Seattle so headed back via Ellensburg, Yakima,Toppenish and a beautiful drive through the reservation forestd mountains and arrow canyons. Goldendale, Washington's wind turbines fascinated and the drive through the Columbia river gorge was beautiful as always. This time at least, travel man go with the flow won out over careful planning.

post edited by mr chips - 2013/06/30 10:47:34
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1