The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Nick's Nest is up for sale.

Author Message
varelas

  • Total Posts: 118
  • Joined: 8/8/2003
  • Location: springfield, MA
Nick's Nest is up for sale. Tue, 03/16/04 1:48 PM (permalink)
After 83 years Nick's Nest in Holyoke,Ma is up for sale. Nick's Nest sells only hot dogs, baked beans and popcorn. The best hot dogs around.You can check out the Stern's review on the insider. So if you's in the Weastern MA area, stop in before it's to late. Maybe you want to buy it, it's for sale for $980,000.00.
Mary
 
#1
    Michael Stern

    RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Sun, 03/21/04 4:44 AM (permalink)
    I can't tell you how sad that makes me. I did like the hot dogs and baked beans (and popcorn), but the place itself was a virtual museum of lunch-wagon culture. Charming beyond words. What a tragedy.
     
    #2
      Route 11

      • Total Posts: 752
      • Joined: 5/28/2003
      • Location: Howardsville, VA
      RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 03/24/04 11:56 AM (permalink)
      Oh crud...that's a great place. We used to go there after shopping at Holyoke Mall.
      Too bad the asking price is so high.
       
      #3
        Tony Bad

        RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 10:17 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by varelas

        After 83 years Nick's Nest in Holyoke,Ma is up for sale. Nick's Nest sells only hot dogs, baked beans and popcorn. The best hot dogs around.You can check out the Stern's review on the insider. So if you's in the Weastern MA area, stop in before it's to late. Maybe you want to buy it, it's for sale for $980,000.00.
        Mary


        Any updates on this topic? Nick's is the "restaurant of the day" today, and it has always been a favorite of mine, as much for the atmosphere as the food. I haven't been up that way in a while...what is happening?
         
        #4
          Tony Bad

          RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 10:22 AM (permalink)
          Did a little checking on my own...

          http://www.holyoke.net/nicks/

          It looks like it is still for sale, but the price has come down quite a bit. That price includes a big chunk of real estate, not just the hot dog store. I am going to add it to the list of things I am going to buy if I win the lottery. That list is getting long...I may have to win twice!
           
          #5
            stanpnepa

            • Total Posts: 575
            • Joined: 11/23/2001
            • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
            RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 10:38 AM (permalink)
            I don't have a spare $800,000 , but let's hope someone knows how rare and amazing Nick's is and can make a go of it.

            We visited two years ago, and at that point the "band" wasn't working, but everything else was...and it felt like 1945! It wasn't very crowded, but it was afternoon lull time (2:30pm). Great hot dogs too, and yummy chili sauce (something they finally added to the menu!). Friendly folks. True Roadfood Royalty!!!
             
            #6
              varelas

              • Total Posts: 118
              • Joined: 8/8/2003
              • Location: springfield, MA
              RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 11:13 AM (permalink)
              The place was just sold,to a local couple, for a lot less then the asking price. Let's hope it stays.
               
              #7
                berndog

                • Total Posts: 674
                • Joined: 4/8/2003
                • Location: Rochester, NY
                RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 11:16 AM (permalink)
                Wow, I wonder how many hotdogs you would have to sell and how much rent you would need to collect on the gift shop and apartment to be able to repay the $800,000 mortgage on this.
                Even with the land across the street, it seems to be a little overpriced.
                 
                #8
                  wheregreggeats.com

                  RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 12:23 PM (permalink)
                  I'm sorry to see it was sold.

                  It would be the rare new owner that didn't try to "improve" things ...
                   
                  #9
                    Tony Bad

                    RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 04/20/05 12:40 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                    I'm sorry to see it was sold.

                    It would be the rare new owner that didn't try to "improve" things ...


                    You are generally correct...but hopefully this will be an exception to that rule! It really is a neat place. My wife's family is from that area, and one of parent's first dates was at Nick's Nest!
                     
                    #10
                      Tony Bad

                      RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Fri, 04/22/05 12:51 PM (permalink)
                      Bad news...my Holyoke insider tells me Nick's Nest was indeed sold and also told me the person who bought it plans to convert the place into a bar.

                      That doesn't sound good.

                      I hope his confidential sources are wrong!
                       
                      #11
                        wheregreggeats.com

                        RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Fri, 04/22/05 12:59 PM (permalink)
                        To get there, I just get on I-90 Eastbound, get off in Holyoke and I'm at Nick's. Sadly, the I-90 leg of the trip is 2,700 miles -- yet I'm still tempted to make the trip for one more dogs before it is too late.



                        This one is TRAGIC!
                         
                        #12
                          varelas

                          • Total Posts: 118
                          • Joined: 8/8/2003
                          • Location: springfield, MA
                          RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Fri, 04/22/05 2:56 PM (permalink)
                          The new owners are husband & wife. He ownes a bar, and the wife is in the food business. I heard that they plan to keep it as a hot dog place and add more hours. I quess time will tell.
                           
                          #13
                            Tony Bad

                            RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Fri, 04/22/05 11:48 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by varelas

                            The new owners are husband & wife. He ownes a bar, and the wife is in the food business. I heard that they plan to keep it as a hot dog place and add more hours. I quess time will tell.


                            I like your story a LOT better!


                            I'd hate to see that place vanish.

                             
                            #14
                              varelas

                              • Total Posts: 118
                              • Joined: 8/8/2003
                              • Location: springfield, MA
                              RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Mon, 04/25/05 9:51 AM (permalink)
                              UPDATE, Nicks Nest was closed for a few days last week and reopened with the new owners. They kept it just the way it was only cleaner. They hope to open a soft serve on the side of the building. Next time any one is on 91 near Holyoke stop and have a great dog and help keep it open.
                               
                              #15
                                agressor

                                • Total Posts: 1
                                • Joined: 5/9/2005
                                • Location: Biloxi, MS
                                RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Mon, 05/9/05 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                Ate many times at Nick's Nest throughout the 60's and early 70's. In fact, my Dad bowled with the Son of Nick Malfas. Have been there a few times since (left the area in the mid 70's) up to and including Summer of 2004. Place always stayed the same and I hope it doesn't change or become something else. It will be a great lost.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Tony Bad

                                  RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Mon, 07/4/05 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by varelas

                                  UPDATE, Nicks Nest was closed for a few days last week and reopened with the new owners. They kept it just the way it was only cleaner. They hope to open a soft serve on the side of the building. Next time any one is on 91 near Holyoke stop and have a great dog and help keep it open.


                                  Just got back from Swingfield, Mass and a side trip to Nick's...all seems like it was, if not better. The last time I had been there a few years back the beans were not good. This time, the beans were quite good, as was the macaroni and potato salad they just added recently to the menu. The place seemed a bit cleaner then I last recalled as well! The hot dogs are as good as ever. Like varelas said, if you are in the area, stop in and help the new owners keep the place going!
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Stevesgreek

                                    • Total Posts: 1
                                    • Joined: 8/3/2005
                                    • Location: Holyoke, MA
                                    RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 08/3/05 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                    Hello everyone,
                                    Nick nest has been sold! It was sold for $617K.
                                    Let me introduce myself, I am a grandson of the founder and cousin to the last Malfas owner.
                                    For very many years I heard many stories about the first dates and how grandparents meet at Nick Nest.
                                    It truly has had a wonderful history when it was owned by my family.
                                    I thank all of you for your kind words.

                                    But now to the real story. After my Uncle Charlie died in 2001, my brothe and my other cousin knew it was a matter of time before my Cousin Charlie, Jr would sell the place.
                                    My cousin Charlie does not have a good history of reliabilty and resposiblilty.
                                    During the mid to early 90's, Nick was almost closed and seized by the state for failure to pay taxes.
                                    it took my uncle and aunts life savings to avoid this from happening.
                                    When my cousin Charlie, Jr was asked by me how this came close to happening, his answer was that he owed money to drug lords.
                                    We knew this was a bunch of crap!
                                    The real reason we found out was that his buddy Kenny's bussiness was going down the tubes and he used the money to bail him out.
                                    This gut Kenny had so much influcence over my cousin that my aunt, his mother was qouted as saying that if she and Kenny were drowning and there was only one life vest, he would throw it to Kenny.

                                    After my uncle Charlie, Sr died, it seems that Kenny began to refer to the store as his and Charlie, Jr's.
                                    Then my lame brained Cousin Charlie, Jr had the idea to sell Nick Nest. The hell with family pride, he needs to appease Kenny.
                                    Now that the store has been sold, my cousin has disappered with all that money. He screwed his sister out of her portion allowed her from a trust that my uncle and aunt left.

                                    The remaining members of my family are glad that ambitous new owners got hold of it and will do nothing but improve Nick's Nest.
                                    It will be missed by me as it was a huge part of my life for many years.

                                    I told this story because I want people to know the true motive behind tha sale and the type of person my cousin is.
                                    He never deserved to own Nick's in the first place and only got it via inheritance.
                                    It ran it to the ground and I am sure that my grandparents are rolling in their grave for what he has done.

                                    It is without doubt that my cousin, Charlie Jr will sqaunder the money got from the sale and be broke in a few years.

                                    Thanks again to all of you for your nice words.

                                    Steve M.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      wheregreggeats.com

                                      RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 08/3/05 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Stevesgreek

                                      Hello everyone,
                                      Nick nest has been sold! It was sold for $617K.
                                      Let me introduce myself, I am a grandson of the founder and cousin to the last Malfas owner.
                                      For very many years I heard many stories about the first dates and how grandparents meet at Nick Nest.
                                      It truly has had a wonderful history when it was owned by my family.
                                      I thank all of you for your kind words.

                                      But now to the real story. After my Uncle Charlie died in 2001, my brothe and my other cousin knew it was a matter of time before my Cousin Charlie, Jr would sell the place.
                                      My cousin Charlie does not have a good history of reliabilty and resposiblilty.
                                      During the mid to early 90's, Nick was almost closed and seized by the state for failure to pay taxes.
                                      it took my uncle and aunts life savings to avoid this from happening.
                                      When my cousin Charlie, Jr was asked by me how this came close to happening, his answer was that he owed money to drug lords.
                                      We knew this was a bunch of crap!
                                      The real reason we found out was that his buddy Kenny's bussiness was going down the tubes and he used the money to bail him out.
                                      This gut Kenny had so much influcence over my cousin that my aunt, his mother was qouted as saying that if she and Kenny were drowning and there was only one life vest, he would throw it to Kenny.

                                      After my uncle Charlie, Sr died, it seems that Kenny began to refer to the store as his and Charlie, Jr's.
                                      Then my lame brained Cousin Charlie, Jr had the idea to sell Nick Nest. The hell with family pride, he needs to appease Kenny.
                                      Now that the store has been sold, my cousin has disappered with all that money. He screwed his sister out of her portion allowed her from a trust that my uncle and aunt left.

                                      The remaining members of my family are glad that ambitous new owners got hold of it and will do nothing but improve Nick's Nest.
                                      It will be missed by me as it was a huge part of my life for many years.

                                      I told this story because I want people to know the true motive behind tha sale and the type of person my cousin is.
                                      He never deserved to own Nick's in the first place and only got it via inheritance.
                                      It ran it to the ground and I am sure that my grandparents are rolling in their grave for what he has done.

                                      It is without doubt that my cousin, Charlie Jr will sqaunder the money got from the sale and be broke in a few years.

                                      Thanks again to all of you for your nice words.

                                      Steve M.
                                      Huhhmmm ...

                                      Nick's has always been a treasure. Certainly a credit to your family as a whole.

                                      Your story is not exactly uplifting, It is a shame that so many years of hard work resulted in so many sour grapes.

                                      I'm glad you are wishing the new owners well.

                                      I hope they keep the good momentum.

                                       
                                      #19
                                        Tony Bad

                                        RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 08/3/05 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Stevesgreek

                                        Hello everyone,
                                        Nick nest has been sold!

                                        <snip>

                                        The remaining members of my family are glad that ambitous new owners got hold of it and will do nothing but improve Nick's Nest.
                                        It will be missed by me as it was a huge part of my life for many years.

                                        I told this story because I want people to know the true motive behind tha sale and the type of person my cousin is.
                                        He never deserved to own Nick's in the first place and only got it via inheritance.
                                        It ran it to the ground and I am sure that my grandparents are rolling in their grave for what he has done.

                                        It is without doubt that my cousin, Charlie Jr will sqaunder the money got from the sale and be broke in a few years.

                                        Thanks again to all of you for your nice words.

                                        Steve M.


                                        As wheregreggeats wrote, sorry to hear that your family has had so many troubles. Nick's Nest has always been a joy to me. I proudly wear my Nick's NEst shirt and am always surprised how many people in NY City area know about it and want to talk about it. The new owners do appear ambitious and I am with you in wishing them the best.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          FullTmeDad

                                          • Total Posts: 2
                                          • Joined: 8/26/2005
                                          • Location: Taylor, MI
                                          RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Fri, 08/26/05 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                          I was able to get some really nice photos of Nicks before it sold, both inside and out. I'm glad it's still open but I am afraid it'll never be the same. I grew up just down the street and used to stop at Nick's on the way to the "res" (Mt. Tom Reservation) and on the way home from school while I was at John J. Lynch.
                                          Wish I could have bought it, but living in Holyoke again.......
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Tony Bad

                                            RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Sun, 08/28/05 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by FullTmeDad

                                            I was able to get some really nice photos of Nicks before it sold, both inside and out. I'm glad it's still open but I am afraid it'll never be the same. I grew up just down the street and used to stop at Nick's on the way to the "res" (Mt. Tom Reservation) and on the way home from school while I was at John J. Lynch.
                                            Wish I could have bought it, but living in Holyoke again.......


                                            Nothing had changed when I was there after the new owners had taken over, with the exception of a few minor menu additions (good ones at that). I felt it was actually better then the last few times I had been there, as it seemed a bit cleaner and the food a bit better...especially the beans, which tasted like they were out of a can the last time I was there pre-sale.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              wheregreggeats.com

                                              RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 12/19/07 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                              Two years down the road ...

                                              I stopped by there a few days ago and veered from the norm and had a CHILI dog and ONION RINGS.

                                              The rings were excellent, I have no idea how they managed to bring them from the back, hot and crispy, in about 30 seconds. The chili dog was not bad, but Lafayette Coney in Detroit needent worry about their title to the throne.

                                              Congrats to the new owners.

                                               
                                              #23
                                                Tony Bad

                                                RE: Nick's Nest is up for sale. Wed, 12/19/07 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                                                Two years down the road ...

                                                I stopped by there a few days ago and veered from the norm and had a CHILI dog and ONION RINGS.

                                                The rings were excellent, I have no idea how they managed to bring them from the back, hot and crispy, in about 30 seconds. The chili dog was not bad, but Lafayette Coney in Detroit needent worry about their title to the throne.

                                                Congrats to the new owners.




                                                Glad to read things are going well there. It is a unique place and I was so happy to see the new owners sticking to tradition yet still making a few additions and small changes.
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                                  Jump to:

                                                  Current active users

                                                  There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                                  Icon Legend and Permission

                                                  • New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

                                                  2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com