The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New food truck build

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35
Rcoy

• Total Posts: 91
Re:New food truck build Fri, 09/27/13 8:04 PM (permalink)
The bus had a belly luggage area, we just built a frame for the genset and put some reinforcement in for the extra weight. It's 7.5" from the framework to the ground roughly. If it becomes an issue I will airbag the rear to gain a couple inches then dump the air when in position. It is an airbrake rig so we already have air.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
    Re:New food truck build Sat, 09/28/13 10:25 AM (permalink)
    Did you lower the baggage compartment anyor was that the existing clearance?      ... I think this makes the bus fall into the 'long wheel base - low clearance' hazard vehicle (hump hangup).    Lowboy long wheel base trailers may be as low as 6"; some 'city' bus might be as low as 8".   ...Most long wheel base 'road' vehicles have 12 to 14 inched ground clearance.  

Your problem areas would be at railroad type hump crossings and driveway (parking lot) entrance/exists (very common).     ... Most humps are designed for short wheel base (passenger car & pickup truck) vehicles with lead-up ramps/slope to limit the clearance to 3" or less.   But with long wheel base vehicle the entire hump (or portion) between the wheels may exceed the vehicle clearance (ie: hump hangup).   Most road designers don't have the proper references for correct design of low clearance vehicles, then fixing the hangup hazard is an 'after the fact' situation.

edwmax

Re:New food truck build Sat, 09/28/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
      Note to other 'bus' builders:     ... Try to maintain the existing ground clearances.   If the bus has low clearance storage compartments (less than 10" ?), consider raising the compartment bottom.   There is nothing wrong with the compartment top extending above the floor if under a counter or cabinet.

Yes, there are RV motor homes with 7" & 8" ground clearance.  I think the idea with these are: if the owner can afford the RV, he can afford a 'HEAVY' wrecker to lift the RV off of a hump hangeup.    ... Hopefully a fast TRAIN doesn't come before the wrecker can get there.

Just my 5ยข worth  ... well may be I own some change ...
      <message edited by edwmax on Sat, 09/28/13 10:47 AM>

Rcoy

• Total Posts: 91
        Re:New food truck build Sat, 09/28/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
        edwmax

Did you lower the baggage compartment anyor was that the existing clearance?      ... I think this makes the bus fall into the 'long wheel base - low clearance' hazard vehicle (hump hangup).    Lowboy long wheel base trailers may be as low as 6"; some 'city' bus might be as low as 8".   ...Most long wheel base 'road' vehicles have 12 to 14 inched ground clearance.  

Your problem areas would be at railroad type hump crossings and driveway (parking lot) entrance/exists (very common).     ... Most humps are designed for short wheel base (passenger car & pickup truck) vehicles with lead-up ramps/slope to limit the clearance to 3" or less.   But with long wheel base vehicle the entire hump (or portion) between the wheels may exceed the vehicle clearance (ie: hump hangup).   Most road designers don't have the proper references for correct design of low clearance vehicles, then fixing the hangup hazard is an 'after the fact' situation.

No, the clearance is exactly the same as it was from the factory. I had to raise the upper portion through the floor to gain clearance for the genset by 4", and as you said I will build a cabinet over that portion of the floor.

<message edited by Rcoy on Sat, 09/28/13 12:44 PM>

edwmax

Re:New food truck build Fri, 10/11/13 9:50 AM (permalink)
          Today on the CNN website was this video.  Watch the train slam into the 18 wheeler with low clearance trailer stuck on the 'hump'.   Just thought I would post it, it does happen.   Obviously the Driver was not aware of the trailer clearance problem until too late.
          http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/10/10/vo-train-slams-into-truck.komo&hpt=hp_t3&from_homepage=yes

Low clearance vehicles were designed for State/US & interstate roadways, not secondary 'city/county' roads where 'hump' clearance could be a problem.   ... oh well, just my 2 cents ...
          <message edited by edwmax on Fri, 10/11/13 9:58 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com