The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Appliances That Vansihed After A Short Time

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Appliances That Vansihed After A Short Time Mon, 03/25/13 9:17 PM (permalink)
I've had a cute little microwave made by sharp that i bought in '86 called a half pint. I've had it in my office for years and have been puzzled why so many times someone has asked if I wanted to sell it. Turns out they're unobtanium.

There were many small, low powered microwaves available that were too small for a regular plate, but ideal for warming up leftovers, soups, or prepackaged food. They seem to be all gone now and there's void that apparently has a niche among RV's,Boaters,and Truckers that used or remaining ones now fetch pretty high prices if they still work. The latter version of mine as NOS sells for around $150-200 on E-bay and Amazon. That has me wondering about some recent appliances that seemingly fell out of favor for one reason or another:

Long Slot Toasters   For a while, you barely find a regular type. Many used the quartz elements that are now rare in toasters and back to regular heaters.

Braun type cone filter coffee makers.  The old basket types were getting hard to find for a while and most every one you seen in the stores used the expensive cone filters or those washable gold tone inserts. By the time the filters went generic and priced accordingly, the cone coffee makers started to vanish. Maybe some are still around.

Rotisseries. They're still around, but mostly by mail order and infomercials. You don't see the stacks of Ronco's or George Foreman's in the brick and mortars in several varieties anymore.

Countertop ice makers.  For a while, most any appliance section had about 5 or more models on the floor around here. I've only seen a mini versions that makes cocktail ice sold more like a bar novelty.

Multi-cookers. These have been around forever peaking during the late 50's and early 60's. They made a resurgence about 6-8 years ago with Presto at the forefront. Basically a pot with a built in heating element that could be used for frying, pot cooking, steaming, some had crock inserts doubling as a slow cooker.  

I'm sure there's plenty of others. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com