The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Downtown dining Houston, TX

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
Downtown dining Houston, TX Sun, 03/31/13 11:23 PM (permalink)
I'll be in Houston from Saturday - Tuesday next week for the NAIC conference, staying at the Hilton Amerricans and won't have a car.
I lived in Houston from '78 - '87, but haven't been back since. Back then, Downrown was a ghost town after 5:00 PM, and most of the places I remember are closed or too far to get to.
Anyone have any suggestions for good places to eat?

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
    Re:Downtown dining Houston, TX Mon, 04/1/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
    Downtown still rolls up at 5. You are in the area of the high-end, cookie-cutter steakhouse - appealing to the convention, expense-account crowd. My pick of that litter is Vic and Anthony's, which is a few blocks away. I am not big on Tex-Mex, but a friend swears by Ninfa's, a small, local chain - and there is one in the downtown area. A few blocks north of Minute Maid Park is the downtown location of Hubcap Grill. I had a very good burger at their other location north of town.

Should you have a friend with a car, or venture to use a taxi, just on the other side of US-59 is the heavily populated Vietnamese area. I have been to a few good places there with some locals. I wish I could remember their names, but the area is so saturated with good Vietnamese food, the lousy places tend not to last too long. I would bet you could get a good recommendation from the hotel (one of the employees...not the concierge, FWIW). 

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
      Re:Downtown dining Houston, TX Mon, 04/1/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
      Thanks. We ate at a Ninfa's near our house a lot when we lived there, so I'll have to check it out. I don't like steak much, so I'll have to get there.

slaster

• Total Posts: 6
        Re:Downtown dining Houston, TX Mon, 04/1/13 8:32 PM (permalink)
        If you don't mind a ten minute walk to the light rail line, there are a lot of good places along the line-- Bombay Pizza being one of my favorites. Also, Taco's a-Go-Go keeps late hours and is good too. Yelp Houston or 29-95 both have guides to restaurants along the light rail. There is also a new grocery / deli that's close to where you're staying called Phoenicia that has good prepared food of the middle eastern variety-- they're open until 9pm during the week and 10pm on weekends, I believe. The Grove at Discovery Green is good too. Good luck.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com