The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 New York's best cheesecakes

Author Message
marberthenad

  • Total Posts: 509
  • Joined: 2/19/2003
  • Location: Washington, DC
New York's best cheesecakes Tue, 03/16/04 8:59 PM (permalink)
New York Times has just published an article on the quest for NY's best cheesecake. My vote goes for Junior's in Brooklyn. The link also leads you an audio version of the article ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/17/dining/17CHEE.html

 
#1
    Spudnut

    • Total Posts: 655
    • Joined: 6/30/2003
    • Location: New York, NY
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 12:25 AM (permalink)
    Junior's is my favorite, too. I was shocked the last time I had one from the Carnegie Deli. Tasted like bad freezer burn, and we had to throw it out.

    I like Eileen's very much...but not as much. Ironically, I just tried Two Little Red Hens for the first time, but didn't have the cheesecake (had the really nice apple crumb instead.) Next time....
     
    #2
      marberthenad

      • Total Posts: 509
      • Joined: 2/19/2003
      • Location: Washington, DC
      RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 6:19 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Phil J.

      Junior's is my favorite, too. I was shocked the last time I had one from the Carnegie Deli. Tasted like bad freezer burn, and we had to throw it out.

      I like Eileen's very much...but not as much. Ironically, I just tried Two Little Red Hens for the first time, but didn't have the cheesecake (had the really nice apple crumb instead.) Next time....


      We've had friends bring us stuff from Two Little Red Hens (it's in Brooklyn, yes?) when they visit. I'll have to ask them to bring some cheesecake next time.
       
      #3
        CheeseWit

        • Total Posts: 1393
        • Joined: 4/10/2003
        • Location: West Chester, PA
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 7:08 AM (permalink)
        I am partial to Junior's. However, JaneDough makes some of the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted!
         
        #4
          Salty

          • Total Posts: 17
          • Joined: 3/12/2004
          • Location: Bayside, NY
          RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 9:22 AM (permalink)
          Although it is probably a separate category, no discussion of NY cheesecake is complete without including Italian cheesecake. My personal favorite is the Torta di Ricotta at Ferrara's in Little Italy.

          If we're limiting the discussion to the traditional cream cheese style cakes, then I would also vote for Junior's.
           
          #5
            Spudnut

            • Total Posts: 655
            • Joined: 6/30/2003
            • Location: New York, NY
            RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 10:01 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by marberthenad

            quote:
            Originally posted by Phil J.

            Junior's is my favorite, too. I was shocked the last time I had one from the Carnegie Deli. Tasted like bad freezer burn, and we had to throw it out.

            I like Eileen's very much...but not as much. Ironically, I just tried Two Little Red Hens for the first time, but didn't have the cheesecake (had the really nice apple crumb instead.) Next time....


            We've had friends bring us stuff from Two Little Red Hens (it's in Brooklyn, yes?) when they visit. I'll have to ask them to bring some cheesecake next time.



            The ones I know are in Manhattan, but they could be in Brooklyn.
             
            #6
              qwerty79

              • Total Posts: 165
              • Joined: 3/1/2003
              • Location: Daytona, FL
              RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 10:27 AM (permalink)
              Everytime we wanted cheesecake growing up we went to Lindy's. Last year though we stopped in the roxy deli in times square. WOW! What a cheesecake. It is so much better than Lindy's, and thats saying a lot because Lindy's is still out of this world.
               
              #7
                Grampy

                • Total Posts: 1559
                • Joined: 10/14/2002
                • Location: Greenfield, MA
                RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 10:29 AM (permalink)
                I agree with Salty (and welcome!). Many a year ago, after trips to a watering hole like Blue & Gold, followed by eats at Wo Ping in Chinatown, my friend Tom (who now owns the Village Idiot) and I would ride over the bridge to Junior's. We thought it was the best, but in later years I opted for Ferrara's.
                 
                #8
                  Hillbilly

                  • Total Posts: 992
                  • Joined: 8/9/2001
                  • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
                  RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 11:12 AM (permalink)
                  The best I have ever had was at Peter Luger's. I have forgotten who they said they got it from.
                   
                  #9
                    Spudnut

                    • Total Posts: 655
                    • Joined: 6/30/2003
                    • Location: New York, NY
                    RE: New York's best cheesecakes Wed, 03/17/04 1:08 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Salty

                    Although it is probably a separate category, no discussion of NY cheesecake is complete without including Italian cheesecake. My personal favorite is the Torta di Ricotta at Ferrara's in Little Italy.

                    If we're limiting the discussion to the traditional cream cheese style cakes, then I would also vote for Junior's.



                    Yeah, the article considers Italian cheesecake a different category.
                     
                    #10
                      JaneDough

                      • Total Posts: 127
                      • Joined: 5/9/2003
                      • Location: Drexel Hill, PA
                      RE: New York's best cheesecakes Fri, 03/19/04 4:41 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by CheeseWit

                      I am partial to Junior's. However, JaneDough makes some of the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted!

                       
                      #11
                        Kristi S.

                        • Total Posts: 712
                        • Joined: 7/23/2002
                        • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
                        RE: New York's best cheesecakes Fri, 03/19/04 7:45 PM (permalink)
                        I received a Junior's cheesecake catalog, and my spirits soared just looking at all of the yummy cakes....
                         
                        #12
                          signman

                          • Total Posts: 1743
                          • Joined: 10/23/2000
                          • Location: Baltimore, MD
                          RE: New York's best cheesecakes Fri, 03/19/04 9:15 PM (permalink)
                          I used to love cheesecake, then I found out one of the main ingredients is cream cheese, and I don't like cream cheese.
                           
                          #13
                            marberthenad

                            • Total Posts: 509
                            • Joined: 2/19/2003
                            • Location: Washington, DC
                            RE: New York's best cheesecakes Fri, 03/19/04 10:12 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by signman

                            I used to love cheesecake, then I found out one of the main ingredients is cream cheese, and I don't like cream cheese.


                            There are european cheesecakes that are not made with cream cheese, such as those made with ricotta (Italian) or quark (German), although I guess both are variants of cream cheese ...
                             
                            #14
                              The Travelin Man

                              • Total Posts: 3699
                              • Joined: 3/25/2003
                              • Location: Central FL
                              RE: New York's best cheesecakes Tue, 05/10/05 11:25 AM (permalink)
                              I did a little more exploring on this trip to NYC than I have done in the past, and my running around took me into the Grand Central Terminal (I guess even though I can still hear my mother screeching about people coming in and out of the house like it was 'Grand Central Station', they prefer the use of the word 'Terminal').

                              I had not been to GCT since I was a kid too young to appreciate what an absolutely gorgeous building it is. My usual travels out from Long Island bring me through Penn Station, which, comparatively, is a dump. Apart from the gorgeous architecture and design, I followed my nose down to the dining area. What a fabulous place -- highlighted by the location of a Junior's. I am sure that New Yorkers -- or even people who get to NYC more frequently than I do already know that this place exists, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't have to go to Brooklyn (out of my way, often times) to get a slice of Junior's cheesecake - the best, as this thread seems to agree, in a city of cheesecakes (and fruitcakes, but that is a separate story).

                              I didn't get the name of it, and didn't have opportunity to try, but there was also a pie shop that I would like to hit the next time I am subterranian in the NYC. Has anyone else tried this place? It looked fantastic!

                              Steve
                               
                              #15
                                sizz_leteen

                                • Total Posts: 118
                                • Joined: 4/22/2005
                                • Location: Toronto, XX
                                RE: New York's best cheesecakes Sat, 05/14/05 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                Be still my heart...

                                I think I'm in LOVE!
                                I gotta remember these places when I go to NY during the summer (hopefully).
                                 
                                #16
                                  Scallion1

                                  • Total Posts: 418
                                  • Joined: 7/20/2004
                                  • Location: Yonkers, NY
                                  RE: New York's best cheesecakes Sun, 05/15/05 8:33 PM (permalink)
                                  Nah, ricotta's got nothing to do with cream cheese. You got me with quark, however; always thought that was a subnuclear particle or something.

                                  I live about a mile from Ferrara's, and you couldn't get me into the joint at gunpoint. I don't much care for Italian pastries in any case (except my ricotta cheesecake, of course) but everyone in our nabe goes to Veniero's or De Robertis, both near the corner of 11th St. and First Avenue.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Tim C

                                    • Total Posts: 21
                                    • Joined: 6/2/2005
                                    • Location: Baton Rouge, LA
                                    RE: New York's best cheesecakes Thu, 06/2/05 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                    I know this is meant to be from New York City but I can't resist adding a dessert from New York State which I have no knowledge of its origin: the kahlua chocolate cheesecake made by nuns in New Skete, New York. It was a discovery of mine in the early 80s in the Berkshires, and the train between NYC and Albany sold it for a while. Who are these nuns anyhow and how did they start making cheesecake?
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Nemis

                                      • Total Posts: 186
                                      • Joined: 7/24/2002
                                      • Location: columbus, OH
                                      RE: New York's best cheesecakes Thu, 06/2/05 3:39 PM (permalink)

                                      Originally posted by marberthenad

                                      New York Times has just published an article on the quest for NY's best
                                       
                                      #19
                                        CheeseWit

                                        • Total Posts: 1393
                                        • Joined: 4/10/2003
                                        • Location: West Chester, PA
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: New York's best cheesecakes Thu, 06/2/05 4:06 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Tim C

                                        I know this is meant to be from New York City but I can't resist adding a dessert from New York State which I have no knowledge of its origin: the kahlua chocolate cheesecake made by nuns in New Skete, New York. It was a discovery of mine in the early 80s in the Berkshires, and the train between NYC and Albany sold it for a while. Who are these nuns anyhow and how did they start making cheesecake?


                                        Go to www.newskete.com The nuns and their cheesecakes were just featured on The Food Network's Secret Life of Cheesecakes, airing again 6/4/05.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                          Jump to:

                                          Current active users

                                          There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                          Icon Legend and Permission

                                          • New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

                                          2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com