West of Denver?

Author
beal99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/04/04 11:38:58 (permalink)

West of Denver?

Hey all-

Heading on a road trip from Denver to Glenwood Springs in June, any must hit spots along the way? Anything good near Glenwood?

14 Replies Related Threads

Samsquantch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/05 13:09:42 (permalink)
    Tequilas in Glenwood is really good basic Mexican....plus, they REALLY make their margaritas with care....fun to watch how seriously they take it.....also, they offer Salsa Slaw with their chips which is AMAZING!....Never seen this anywhere but in Glenwood....addicting!!!

Doc Holidays in Glenwood offers a mighty fine burger....but the real appeal is the history of the place...really authentic old West saloon vibe..

Italian Underground is wildly popular...long long waits....this of course does not mean it is good....We've never tried it....

If staying in Glenwood, I highly recommend the historic Hotel Colorado...a true Western classic....ask for the Patrick Swayze room if it is available (he apparently stayed in room for several months while filming a movie)...it's a big two room suite with one of the only two balconies in the entire hotel.

Note however....and I am NOT kidding...this hotel is UBER haunted...I don't have time to touch on even a fraction of the funky things that have happened to us...and images that have appeared in photos....in fact the hotel had to turn one guest room into a storage area because it had TOO much activity and people could not sleep there!....but we have stayed here multiple times, as they are friendly and playful...nothing threatening at all!

Have fun!
    post edited by Samsquantch - 2013/04/05 15:40:45
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/11 12:29:17 (permalink)
    Just West of Denver, in the town of Bailey there stands a hot dog stand shaped like a bun and wiener.  Called the Coney Island, it is a true Roadfood joint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...y_Island_Hot_Dog_Stand

MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/11 14:10:10 (permalink)
    From everything I've heard about the Bailey hot dog stand, the only good thing about it is the hot dog shaped building. Nobody I know has ever said they would go back to it. The food was fair at best, so I'm told.

However, there is a great barbecue place called Hawg Heaven near Crow Hill (before you get to Bailey). I've eaten there several times and consider their pulled pork and fresh-cut sweet-potato fries the best around. I always got the meat plain--no sauce. It is so moist and full of rich pork flavor that it is delicious all by itself.

Bear in mind that I moved out of the area last year, so possibly things have changed. But Hawg Heaven was consistently good before that. Very reasonable prices also.
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/12 17:32:10 (permalink)
    MissJohnnycakes

From everything I've heard about the Bailey hot dog stand, the only good thing about it is the hot dog shaped building. Nobody I know has ever said they would go back to it. The food was fair at best, so I'm told.

However, there is a great barbecue place called Hawg Heaven near Crow Hill (before you get to Bailey). I've eaten there several times and consider their pulled pork and fresh-cut sweet-potato fries the best around. I always got the meat plain--no sauce. It is so moist and full of rich pork flavor that it is delicious all by itself.

Bear in mind that I moved out of the area last year, so possibly things have changed. But Hawg Heaven was consistently good before that. Very reasonable prices also.

Yes. I fully well appreciate that when it come to food, often times it can be a matter of taste.  However in the case of Coney Island in Bailey, I have never come away disappointed. Perhaps my expectations are lower than others ? Moreover, I have always not only enjoyed the trip up there, the beautiful surroundings, as well as the uniqueness of the building. Sometimes it is more than just the food alone that sets a roadfood experience apart from others. And that is all I was attempting to do when offering my suggestion. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/12 18:05:32 (permalink)
    If you make it to Golden

I totally recommend the Buffalo Rose Saloon, they have a solid buffalo burger and good green chili.

or better yet the Table Mountain Inn- Straight up southwestern style roadfood.

If you want some straight up Colorado Cuisine, just about any steakhouse, bar or tavern will have Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2464
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/12 18:40:45 (permalink)
    MissJohnnyCakes and KenK, just hoping you could shed more light on the Coney Island Hot Dog Stand in Bailey.  What was it about the food that the people you had spoken to found only to be fair and perhaps not worth a return visit?  And KenK, what was it specifically about the food that you enjoyed?  I've found over the years that these types of details are instrumental in painting a very helpful picture to the Roadfooder seeking suggestions while on the road.  KenK, they very things you liked about the food may be just what beal99 is looking for or may be the exact opposite of what he/she likes.  It's in those details than one can determine if it's worth a stop.  Are there specific menu items that you would recommend?
    MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/12 22:05:29 (permalink)
    Billyboy, I did not eat at Coney Island Hot Dog Stand myself. The people who did eat there said the dogs were mediocre *at best.* They did not say it was horrible, just not worth stopping for. They likened it to eating "Mexican food" at Casa Bonita:  the gimmicky setting is interesting if you have young kids, but the food is...mediocre at best. 

The forested setting along US 285 is pretty (except in some spots), but since I used to live in the same kind of setting not far away, if I wanted a good hot dog I'd go somewhere else, or just grill one at home instead (an even better setting since home was well off the highway).
    Samsquantch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/13 09:17:10 (permalink)
    Wandering J.....have you ever tried Rocky Mtn. Oysters?....I have never had the.....uh.....cahones to try them...

Can you equate the taste, texture to anything?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/13 10:25:53 (permalink)
    Samsquantch

Yes I have on several occasions. They're very good and I would compare them to fried chicken livers in terms of taste and texture. 

I know the Buffalo Rose Saloon in Golden has them but I've never had them there. Of course the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver has them (I've had them there) and so does The Fort in Morrison. My favorite was Bruce's Bar aka Bruce's Nut Hut in Severance (about 70 miles north of Denver) there you can get your choice of Bull or Bison.
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/16 20:01:59 (permalink)
    I grew up In Northwest Indiana. Where there were and still are some fine Coney Dogs places. I give you the Koney King in Gary, Indiana as just one example.  Been around for over 60 years.  A coney dog is not a chili dog as far as I am concerned. It is all in the chili.  Don't compare the two, and think they are the same.

Therefore, it is all in the taste.  The Coney Island in Bailey is  what I know to be a true Midwest coney dog.

As I said. It is all in one's preference. Don't confuse the two.... coney dog vs chili dog. And don't expect one to be the other.  The Coney Island serves a coney dog, I have never been disappointed with. 
    post edited by KenK - 2013/04/16 20:03:34
    possum
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/04/23 20:48:05 (permalink)
    If you're going to Glenwood Springs from Denver, you're probably going out I-70.  So the suggestion in Bailey, on US285, doesn't help much unless you want to go way out of your way.  Likewise, going thru Golden takes you rather out of your way, altho you could carry on along Rte6 and pickup I-70 just before Idaho Springs.

As for eating, the I-70 route doesn't have a lot to commend it.  In Idaho Springs there's Tommyknockers, which has decent food and beer.  There's a little place in Georgetown, the name of which is escaping me (near the Ville de Paris musuem).

Frisco and Dillon are all chain eateries, as far as I can tell.  So once you're past the tunnel, you might as well carry on all the way to Glenwood Springs to eat.

John

jorenmathew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/05/24 08:39:55 (permalink)
    hi. you can go to Coney Island. it's very near to your place.

Hope, you will enjoy this place and liked it.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/05/24 10:40:50 (permalink)
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Coney Island...haven't eaten there for several years...but at least I've eaten there to comment about it...just saying.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:West of Denver? 2013/05/24 11:08:38 (permalink)
    myterry2

Absolutely nothing wrong with Coney Island...haven't eaten there for several years...but at least I've eaten there to comment about it...just saying.

He also indicates that he's been to our monthly Boston Meet n Greets,
    he's just trying to get his post count up so he can start spamming the forum.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1