Maple Country Sausage

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2507
2013/05/06 16:04:39 (permalink)

Maple Country Sausage

I started making sausage out of our home raised pigs. Then I thought, why not gnd my own gnd  pork, then I figured why not make country breakfast sausage.

this is the pork that I gnd into gnd pork to make the sausage.

I was going
 to show the whole process, but, using photobucket is crazy to work with for me on this site. If anyone wants to try this let me know............
this is the Maple country sausage............in 2 oz patties

37 Replies Related Threads

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1767
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 10:47:06 (permalink)
    Looks great!  I make my own sausage sometimes as well as a "mock-bacon" from Boneless Rib sections

Recipe?  Thanks
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 10:56:34 (permalink)
    Last fall we had a good part of the Hogs we shot turned into an excellent mild breakfast sausage by the Game Ranch's Meat processor. We brought home 40 two pound tubes of the stuff, and has been the best pork sausage we have ever enjoyed- over this whole winter-spring. Our success at making Bacon out of the pork bellies has been a mixed review. We over salted a couple of the batches, and over smoked one as well. Next time we may hold out one slab of Pork Belly, but the rest will go into the sausage mix !!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 12:04:14 (permalink)
    Bill, that looks incredible, recipe please!
    Call me, I can't find your number, again....my computer has some bug, I can't copy and reply or send PM's
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7272
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 12:06:09 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    As always, your food looks delicious!  I hope little Porkchop wasn't involved in this meal!!!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 13:15:02 (permalink)
    lleechef

pnwchef
    As always, your food looks delicious!  I hope little Porkchop wasn't involved in this meal!!!

Lisa, I already got a warning from your other half about li'l Pork Chop, li'l Pork Chop is doing fine. li'l Pork Chop is with our new Calf that was born in Nov, along with two goats. At first the Doe goat would rear up and show li'l pork chop who the boss is of the pasture. Now, after a few months of li'l Pork Chop ( Little no more) eating a good healthy diet of pasture grass and all the treats that Mollie sneaks to him, he is fighting back. He bucks heads with the calf and the calf chases him around the pasture...................li'l pork chop has school pictures this week I'll post them soon..............pnwc
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 13:22:37 (permalink)
    I'm glad li'l Pork Chop is OK.  Being raised a "suburban girl" I had never seen a calf or a piglet until I went to France and lived out in farm country.  Pictures of li'l Pork Chop would be great!  Thanks.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 20:11:55 (permalink)
    li'l piggy having a tv dinner........

li'l piggy picking out his date for the prom..

The Calf, doing what he does best, nothing......we think alike.....

these are the Buff Orpingtons that we raised during the winter so we could have eggs in the spring. We now have 22 chicks that are 1 week old, 60 eggs that should be hatching in 14 days. The first chicken in the nesting box is siting on 15 eggs. The Buff Orpington is a good breed for eggs and meat, they are also calm, Mollie picks them up and takes them for walks.........I get between 6 and 8 eggs a day from 8 chickens.....Bill
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/05/07 20:15:17
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8310
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/07 20:18:05 (permalink)
    Not looking.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 14:34:32 (permalink)
    Mar, girls always look

mayor al, I agree with the breakfast, I put in the spices, pure maple syrup and then froze them in 2oz patties. this is a picture with the spices and liquid, the mix comes out a bit sticky, this is what you want, its ready to form without working it or compacting it to much.

then IQF into 2oz patties

With all the pork we process, I need to us the pork in many ways

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 14:48:48 (permalink)
    Awwww......l'il piggy is no longer LITTLE but still cute as ever.  You sure have some beautiful animals there!  Thanks for the pictures!  The sausage looks great too.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 15:08:02 (permalink)
    Lisa, going back in the day, our family would go on Sunday rides to the country. My dad woud say, LOOK, wild animals off to the right. There would be a bunch of Cows in a pasture, we would all look with amazement. Those were the days when we would all slide in the back seat from one side of the car to the other at every turn.................Bill
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 15:16:14 (permalink)
    You have to understand that where pnwchef went for rides in the country as a kid country meant two trees, a bush and a chicken coop. The cows were right there between the bush and the coop. Around the next bend was Danny's by the Washington Bridge over the Housatonic.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4116
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 15:56:30 (permalink)
    I haven't made sausage in years (the skins were crazy to work with) but you've inspired me to maybe try again and just do patties. Yours look great!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 16:51:56 (permalink)
    Bill,
    When I got to France and saw a little newborn calf I asked if I could pat it's nose.  My French friends were shocked!  "You don't have cows in America??"  I explained we had thousands......just not in Rochester, PA!  That's also where I saw my first piglet, lamb and chickens running around in the yard.....it was great.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 17:18:16 (permalink)
    Very nice.  I like sausage with just some salt, pepper, and course ground coriander.  You might give it a whirl and fry up a few patties.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 18:06:18 (permalink)
    EdSails

I haven't made sausage in years (the skins were crazy to work with) but you've inspired me to maybe try again and just do patties. Yours look great!

Ed, these were made from the meat and fat from Beef short ribs......

Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1453
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/08 21:52:25 (permalink)
    Awesome looking stuff...I need to dust off my meat grinder..
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/09 09:06:14 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

You have to understand that where pnwchef went for rides in the country as a kid country meant two trees, a bush and a chicken coop. The cows were right there between the bush and the coop. Around the next bend was Danny's by the Washington Bridge over the Housatonic.

Michael, the tree in my yard in Bridgeport was used to nail in a backboard and rim to play basketball. As a kid, walking home from down town after a day at the Shannon ctr. There was a small Clam shack across from , the Majestic Theater and The Loew’s Poli Theater. We would buy Stuffed and baked clams stuffed in huge Quahaug shells. We would walk over the Washington Bridge, through Washington Park. You may have seen a flick at one of those theaters in down town bpt...........I'm happy to see you are back to your old self, I know Lisa was hoping for a new and improved version................pnwc
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1480
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/09 09:44:30 (permalink)
    I make my own sausage as well, using ground pork from the butcher.  Mine's pretty simple with poultry seasoning, white pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and water.  Now you've got me thinking to add maple syrup to at least part of the next batch, though.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/09 10:08:02 (permalink)
    L2B, with all your baking I bet you already have a Kitchenaid mixer.

This way you could know whats going into your gnd pork...you could blend you own and mix beef and pork. I really liked making the beef sausage links out of short ribs............The breakfast sausage spices I used were salt and pepper, crushed fennel seed,dry mustard,thyme,cayenne pepper, and pure maple syrup and ice water to blend. You could also use fruit juice in the mix...........pnwc ............P.S. Poultry sea is a good idea, it has many of the spices needed for making sausage. I stopped using gnd sage many yrs ago when making stuffing, but the amount of sage in poultry sea must be a lower amount, it doesn't bother me at all. I am thinking of dropping the fennel seed and adding fresh rosemary. I used 2 tblsp of pure maple syrup, I would dbl that next time. The 1/4 tsp of cayenne was perfect.
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/05/09 10:39:45
    love2bake
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/09 12:30:09 (permalink)
    You're right--I do have a Kitchen Aid mixer and zero attachments for it--not even an ice cream maker.  That's just wrong.  I see a small equipment investment coming now.  Your spice blend also sounds very interesting--I might have to branch out and try some new combinations.  I like mine for traditional country sausage, but there are many more good flavors out there.  Thanks for the inspiration!!!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/10 09:46:19 (permalink)
    L2B, there are a lot of ideas, seasonings, and combinations of meats that can be tried. You have a wonderful imagination that will help in making a signature sausage. In most cases you need a 80/20 mix, there are also ways of using lean, and adding olive oil for the fat, this process would be used for gnd chicken, just think of all the quality olive oils in California.
    This is the short rib meat cut off the bone, I used the bones for stock. I'm not sure about the ratio of meat to fat but, I bet its more than 20%. I like the way this sausage turned out, it had good taste. The next time I make this I will add some heat, either cayenne pepper or fresh chopped jalapeno peppers, or hot pepper flakes......

spices

I always fry up a sample to see how the spices combine with the fats for aroma and flavor. If someone didn't eat pork, this would be a nice way to have a beef country breakfast sausage.

I like the way these turned out, I made these with the sausage attachment for the Kitchen aid. My rule is, don't anyone come in the kitchen at this point, It's to easy to screw up when your working one hand loading and pushing the meat into the machine, while its coming into the casing. I guess it would help if I could walk and chew gum at the same time.......
    ..............I bought the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment off of Amazon, it was around $46, the sausage attachment is a few $ more....take care and let me know if I can help in any way.........pnwc
    love2bake
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/10 15:34:52 (permalink)
    Awesome.  Hey--a little extra fat means more gravy for biscuits.    Looking at the pre-grind photo makes me want to add a little Benton's bacon to it...

Was looking this morning on Amazon and Chefs Catalog.  Prices are still good!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8310
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/10 15:51:02 (permalink)
    Bill, I want a video of you making the knots.  Those links look awesome.

Do you have a flash freezer and a Fedex close by?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8650
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/11 07:24:27 (permalink)
    pnwchef-always enjoy your creations! I was lucky enough to enjoy Al and Janets sausages from their recent hog hunt.
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/11 10:37:07 (permalink)
       I cheat. Go to www.sausagemaker.com. They have an amazing product line of spice blends, equipment, casings, etc.. I have made their maple sugar breakfast sausage and it is terrific. An excellent resource for the beginner or pro. I have no financial interest in this company.
       Feel free to ask any questions about this company. And no store bought sausage can compete with home made. Period.
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/13 14:50:09 (permalink)
       Another thought for you. As I got more comfortable with making sausage, I ventured into bologna using venison and caribou, blending in jalapeno and cheese. I would stuff that ino large casings and finish on the smoker. This is a bit more complicated than sausage but very much worth the effort.
       Of note. I found it certainly helps to have a co-sausage maker. Two of us from start to finish (clean up as well) can make up to ninety pounds of sausage in about three hours. Local butcher grinds and mixes for me. More time is needed for the bologna. Again, very much worth the effort!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/14 11:04:50 (permalink)
    euclid

Another thought for you. As I got more comfortable with making sausage, I ventured into bologna using venison and caribou, blending in jalapeno and cheese. I would stuff that ino large casings and finish on the smoker. This is a bit more complicated than sausage but very much worth the effort.
      Of note. I found it certainly helps to have a co-sausage maker. Two of us from start to finish (clean up as well) can make up to ninety pounds of sausage in about three hours. Local butcher grinds and mixes for me. More time is needed for the bologna. Again, very much worth the effort!

The Sausagemaker site is great, thx. I look at some of the recipes for sausage to get a starting point, then I think about what I want the sausage to taste like. The sausage links shown above came out like a hot dog blend, I gnd the meat, mixed in a mixer with spices and liquid, then put into the grinder to stuff the sausage. By this time the meat is well blended and not in chunks, but more of a smooth blend. I don't have any problem with this method, but, like I said its more of a hot dog consistency than a bulk chunky blend. I would rather get a sausage maker that pushes the product into the casings, in most cases I want the meat blend to not over blend with using a machine to push into the casing..............thx for the info, would love hear more about what you have done with your sausage ideas.................thx again.........Bill
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/15 14:08:06 (permalink)
       I am down south as of this writing. I travel north in two weeks where I have all of my sausage making notes as well as several books on the subject. I'll be in touch at that time and give you any info you might be interested in.
       In reference to your last post. I agree to putting in anything that tastes good to you in your sausage. That's the joy, well part of the joy, of making your own. On liquid in breakfast sausage. I do not recall putting liquid in my sausage grind and it comes out textured as other sausage products. With bologna, I use some very cold water when emulsifying the meat (I have no clue whether this is spelled correctly). This gives the bologna the bologna texture we are used to. Probably the same as dogs but not sure.
       I'll be in touch after I review my notes
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1