The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use?

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? Thu, 05/9/13 3:56 PM (permalink)
I came across some articles the other day looking for sources for knife roll ups that Emergency and Trauma physicians in the UK have made a recommendation a few years ago that long, sharp cutlery should be banned due to deep organ damage. That was the result of a study of injuries and assaults associated with kitchen knives. The study consulted with professional chefs that concluded there is no reason for the general public to have any need for a long, sharp knife that has a pointed end. I can agree that a point on a chef's knife is generally useless except for the narrowing contour it gives for rock chopping given other specialty knives being better suited for the same purpose. Yet a boning or fillet knife a point is absolutely necessary in a 6"-7" or so blade. I probably can do without the Chef's, or at least work with something heavy like one with heavier blade and round end. It wouldn't be much of a loss to me outside the boning knife if such laws were adopted here.

I only bring this up, because ignorant, professional, recommendations like this give politicians and advocacy groups with idle minds a devil's playground and gain traction if decisions by CPSC of recent years in the name of protecting us from ourselves are any indicator. While the logic of knife wound statistics isn't the same here with the UK and parts of the EC having a virtual ban on handguns and knives there are primary assault weapons unlike the states. This reasoning can eventually affect the EC member states where most quality knife manufacturers reside and impact their products.

Knife control very well may be the next frontier given Homeland Security's/TSA already preoccupation with them of any kind as weapons. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why a professional chef would consider that chef's or boning knife has no business in a domestic kitchen and the public really has no need for such a utensil here in the states as they did in the UK. There have been no laws that I know of passed there yet, but it's probably just a matter of time and a few very well publicized incidents much like they did with stove top chip pans suddenly becoming a lethal threat to the public to push it into law.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com