The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tennessee Dressing

Sundancer7

Tennessee Dressing Fri, 04/11/03 8:43 PM (permalink)
Onc of the things that I personally enjoy is my mothers dressing on Sunday morning. I like it thin and crispy like corn bread with lots of onions, garlic cornbread and southern spices. I would appreciate any other comments regarding southern southern dressing particurly around the crispy type.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: Tennessee Dressing Fri, 04/11/03 10:28 PM (permalink)
    My mother makes her dressing in a pan. Not real thin, kind of medium. She makes her own cornbread and adds her own homemade broth made from boiling the juice the turkey was cooked in with the giblets and some onions, celery, salt and pepper. She puts all this into the oven and bakes to a golden brown. Served with some giblet gravy poured over it.

Michael Stern

RE: Tennessee Dressing Sat, 04/12/03 4:16 AM (permalink)
      When I read the title of your post, I thought it was going to be about salad! Where I come from, it's alway <I>"stuffing"</I> and while it never has cornbread, it might contain sausage or oysters. Of course, I had never heard of congealed salad before, either...

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
        RE: Tennessee Dressing Sat, 04/12/03 5:00 AM (permalink)
        My grandmother's country dressing recipe includes equal parts of biscuits and cornbread, along with giblets, olives, hardboiled eggs, butter, onions, celery, broth and enough sage to turn it green. One year I added dried cranberries and sausage, and it was pretty durn good!

Sundancer7

RE: Tennessee Dressing Sat, 04/12/03 5:26 AM (permalink)
          Jennifer, I like the way you described your dressing. I like the idea of adding olives and hard boiled eggs.

Celery and sage make it though.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
            RE: Tennessee Dressing Sun, 04/13/03 12:53 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Sundancer7

Jennifer, I like the way you described your dressing. I like the idea of adding olives and hard boiled eggs.

Celery and sage make it though.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

Thanks! It's the only kind of dressing that tastes right to me.. I don't see how people eat that Stove Top stuff.. must be an acquired taste!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Tennessee Dressing Sat, 04/19/03 1:22 PM (permalink)
              In the fall, when the pecans are harvested, I buy the fresh, pre-shelled pecan halves from some of the local farms. I always chop up a cup or so of fresh pecans and add them to the dressing. They add another texture to the onions and celery and taste great to boot!

Sundancer7

RE: Tennessee Dressing Sat, 04/19/03 2:20 PM (permalink)
                You know Bushie, I had never thought about adding pecans to my Tennessee Dressing. I wonder how they would be if you toasted first with a little salt and butter. They probably would never make it to the dressing. I would consume them with my evening cocktail.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                  RE: Tennessee Dressing Sat, 04/19/03 7:22 PM (permalink)
                  Well, if you could save some for the dressing, I'll bet they would be AWESOME. Thanks for the idea! I'm going to try that next time.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                    RE: Tennessee Dressing Fri, 06/20/03 1:54 PM (permalink)
                    While this really isn't the ideal time of year for this topic, I just noticed it for the first time and found Jennifer' 4's grandmother's recipe to be so close to that used by everyone on both sides of our family for dressing that I just had to comment. About the only differences are we didn't include the olives, used a little more cornbread than biscuits or toasted light bread, and included a good dose of salt & pepper in addition to the sage. So good! I've had dressing with oysters, sausage, pecans, berries, etc. added and all are delicious, but I'd just as soon, if not rather, have the old fashioned cornbread dressing.

The main thing this topic reminded me of, though, was a long forgotten most unusual Alabama (rather than Tennessee) dressing I used to enjoy. Have any of you ever had and do you know how to make (Irish) potato dressing? If so, I'd appreciate the complete recipe. Years ago in Mobile Mrs L. (who was from Birmingham and learned this recipe there) always made potato dressing to accompany her Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other turkeys dinners. She would boil and mash Irish potatoes just as though she was going to prepare mashed or creamed potatoes, but would NOT add any milk, cream, or butter to them. Then she would shread raw potatoes into small shreads which she would soak in water and thoroughly squeeze dry, doing this several times. She said she was squeezing some of the strarch out of the potatoes. She would then mix the shredded raw potatoes into the cooked mashed potatoes, add to the potato mixture the items listed in Jennifer 4's grandmother's recipe (except for the breads and olives) plus salt and pepper. She would coat the top of the dressing with the giblet gravy she had prepared, this to form a thin "crust" over the dressing when she baked it. She always baked it fairly thin and in separate pans from that in which the turkey was cooked; she also never stuffed the turkey. This Irish potato dressing was absolutely delicious and eliminated need for mashed potatoes as a Thanksgiving side dish. My main problems are I can't remember exactly how she did the raw potato shredding and squeezing, the proportions of shredded raw to cooked mashed potatoes, and the little details; how long she cooked it, and for certain that it was the broth rather than the gravy which she added to/used to moisten the potatoes. Am nearly positive it was the broth added and know definitely it was the gravy with which she coated the top. Mrs. L. said she always had regular cornbread dressing until marrying and learning this potato dressing recipe from her mother-in-law who was a native of Ireland. Mr. L. always said those poor Irish from which he came could make a steak, a complete meal, anything from Irish potatoes. This was a "one person only" dish for me; never saw, heard of it, or tasted it anywhere else, but it was delicious. Just wondering if any of you knew anything about it. Liketoeat

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                      RE: Tennessee Dressing Fri, 06/20/03 2:55 PM (permalink)
                      The way my mother, granny, and great-granny and now myself make it....

2 pans cornbread, 1 white, 1 yellow
                      pan of day old biscuits
                      celery and onions softned just a little in some broth
                      green onions
                      salt
                      pepper
                      sage
                      celery salt
                      poultry seasoning
                      Chopped hardboiled eggs

Mush/mix it all together using chicken stock/broth til very moistened and bake and get busy making the giblet gravy.

My granny told me that this is how her grandmother and greatgrandmother made it all the way back to when they were garrisoned at Fort Stockton, Texas after the Texas war for independence.

Any additions or variations cause a tremendous outcry from the family. I made oyster-rice dressing once and was in fear for my life.

Sundancer7

RE: Tennessee Dressing Fri, 06/20/03 3:48 PM (permalink)
                        Lone Star: Sounds real good to me. I really appreciate thin dressing with a good crust like Tennessee cornbread. The way that I do that is get the pan real hot by putting it in the over with oil for about 10 minutes at 450. Bring my cast iron pot out and while it is blazing hot, put the mixture in. It will start frying immediately. Stick it back in and don't bring it out until it is golden brown, sides have separated from the pan. Goes great with giblet gravy or any gravy or anything else.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

gnellcarpenter

• Total Posts: 3
                          RE: Tennessee Dressing Fri, 06/20/03 5:27 PM (permalink)

This topic makes me hungry!

Before her death at age 88 my Alabama mother taught me to make the "dressing" recipe passed to her by my grandmother.

Now I'll pass it on to fellow "Road Foodies.

Alabama Dressing

1 8x8 pan of cornbread
                          1 stack pack of Premium saltines crushed fine
                          3 stalks of celery/ 1 medium onion both chopped
                          3 eggs beaten
                          2 or 3 cans Sweet Sue chicken broth or broth from baked poultry
                          Salt/Pepper to taste

Cook celery/onion in chicken broth.

Crumble cornbread in large container.
                          Add crushed saltines eggs, broth, celery, onions.
                          Mix well.
                          Pour into well-greased 9x13 baking dish.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

As in most Southern recipes the measurements may need a little "tweaking", but it is wonderful!!

Sundancer7

RE: Tennessee Dressing Fri, 06/20/03 7:14 PM (permalink)
                            Dressing is one of my favorite sides. It is always intersing to see a recipe that gives a different twist to a wonderful dish.

I have been to restuarants that served it as a side covered with cheese, tomatoes, onions etc.

I like it thin and crispy.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                              RE: Tennessee Dressing Mon, 06/23/03 10:51 AM (permalink)
                              Sundancer - do you mean you cook the dressing mixture like you would cornbread...preheated oiled cast iron skillet?

How thin do you spread it in the skillet?

Sundancer7

RE: Tennessee Dressing Mon, 06/23/03 6:39 PM (permalink)
                                I spread it no more than 3/4 of a inch and I put it in a hot skillet like cornbread.

Paul E. smith
                                Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com