The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Sun, 05/19/13 9:30 PM (permalink)
I would like this to be a rememberance thread to those Roadfooders who we have lost over the years.
We shared our lives with them, we shared our food with them, We loved them, We miss them, We laughed with them, We Remember them.

(I know this list is incomplete, please add to the list)

Gone But Never Forgotten....

SKBob - Bob Carbonic - 3-30-2013

SeafarerJohn - John Logan - 3-18-2013

RickF - Padre Rick Flynn -

Dickiestep - 2011

Clothier - Michael Stanley - 12-14-2012

Berndog - 2006

Pwingsx - Katie Grefrath - 8-30-2009

CowboyBob in PA - Bob Myers - 7-25-2008

TIPPY LEE -  Tom Blackburn - 12-10-2005

GeoNit - George French - 10-20-2012

DLnWPBrown - Dennis Brown - 9-7-2011

Kland10s - Karen Land - July 2013

BUSHIE - Mark Rodebush - 10-30-2013

(updated 11-01-2013 unfortunately)
<message edited by CajunKing on Fri, 11/1/13 4:43 PM>

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
    Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 11:09 AM (permalink)
    Retracted with apologies!  Glad Bill is still with us.
    <message edited by kozel on Tue, 05/21/13 8:52 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 11:28 AM (permalink)
      Very nice CK.  A few of those I wasn't even aware that they had passed away.  Thanks for starting this thread and hopefully the list will remain short.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
        I believe Tippy Lee is another poster who has since passed on

Kozel,
        I thought this was a thread about people who have passed on, not about people who choose to no longer post

buffetbuster

Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 12:51 PM (permalink)
          Just did a little research and unfortunately, there is another name to add.  GeoNit, who came to several Roadfood get togethers here in the Pittsburgh area, passed away last year.  He was a real gentleman who loved Penn State and eating well!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
            Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 1:42 PM (permalink)
            bb
            We were driving through Sewickley last weekend and I thought about him (he lived across from the Sewickley Country Inn).  I was telling Michael that the last time I saw him was when we all met at Max's Allegheny Tavern.  I am very sorry that his name is on this list. 

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
              Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 2:33 PM (permalink)
              Retracted as well.
              <message edited by kozel on Tue, 05/21/13 8:53 AM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 4:27 PM (permalink)
                kozel

wanderingjew

Kozel,
                I thought this was a thread about people who have passed on, not about people who choose to no longer post

If I remember correctly, he is or was ancient.  Not sure if he ever had any personal contact with anyone here that can report on his health.  I'm hoping for the best but assuming the worst. If I'm wrong, I'd gladly apologize. 

The Ancient Mariner, Bill Kennedy, has cataracts and has to use a voice program to read and write emails.  These programs are not very good, making it difficult to have a conversation.

Last time we spoke, other than the cataracts, he is in good spirits as usual.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                  Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 05/20/13 4:46 PM (permalink)
                  That saddens me about The Ancient One. Well, it's heartening to hear that he's still in good spirits. I miss bantering with him here.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Tue, 05/21/13 5:30 PM (permalink)
                    Bump

Tippy Lee added to the list unfortunately.

Ralph Melton

Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Wed, 05/22/13 11:51 AM (permalink)
                      Aww, I'm sorry to hear that that about GeoNit. (And others too, but I'd met him and not the others.)

bosco lover

• Total Posts: 155
                        Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 05/24/13 11:54 AM (permalink)
                        I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm mostly a lurker, but I got some great recommendations from SeafarerJohn about St Pete, and many wonderful places from SKBob, including the Brickyard.  

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 07/26/13 9:46 AM (permalink)
                          This is one of those threads which I would prefer not to see at all..
                          Last night when I was on Roadfood I just happened to see an old post from someone who Buffetbuster and I met in Raleigh back in March 2009.
                          We had the pleasure of joining DLnWPBrown and his wife Wendy at the Barbecue Lodge
                          Dennis hadn't posted in quite some time, and I knew he had some health issues, unfortunately I feared the worst...
                          It appears Dennis passed away on September 7, 2011 at the very young age of 42.
                          I have included a link to his obituary
                          We enjoyed Dennis and Wendy's company, and it  saddens me to see this news.
                          Dennis was truly a great guy,  and he will be missed.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1791
                            Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 07/26/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
                            For whatever reasons, Seafarer John and I had a fun and friendly rapport on this forum.  I do miss his always kind words.

Much in his style, he wrote his own obituary for those who care to read further.
                            http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/poughkeepsiejournal/obituary.aspx?pid=163778138#sthash.fhY6Ldoz.dpbs

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                              Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 07/26/13 11:50 AM (permalink)
                              I am so sorry to learn about Dennis Brown's passing. I shared a meal of Carolina bbq with Dennis and his wife Wendy at Lexington #1 about three years ago; they were a very nice couple and I do remember Dennis mentioning that he was dealing with a major medical condition. This is really depressing news.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 07/26/13 6:33 PM (permalink)
                                Sorry to hear about all of them.......I got to know some of them fairly well.

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                                  Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 07/26/13 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                  Seafarer John -- R.I.P.   :(
                                  (always enjoyed reading conversations between him & Grampy)

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                    Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Sat, 07/27/13 12:30 AM (permalink)
                                    So sorry to lose these friends. Am firm in my belief they are not gone as long as we remember them.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                      Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Sat, 07/27/13 9:05 PM (permalink)
                                      How do you know they are in the Big Meet and Greet?
                                      Are some of them just chowing down elsewhere?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                        Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Sun, 07/28/13 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                        WarToad

For whatever reasons, Seafarer John and I had a fun and friendly rapport on this forum.  I do miss his always kind words.
                                        Much in his style, he wrote his own obituary for those who care to read further.
                                        http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/poughkeepsiejournal/obituary.aspx?pid=163778138#sthash.fhY6Ldoz.dpbs

A very interesting Obituary and insight into a man's life. Leaves me feeling like I know him.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Sun, 07/28/13 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                          NYNM

How do you know they are in the Big Meet and Greet?
                                          Are some of them just chowing down elsewhere?

ummm.....because it's been confirmed.....

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1791
                                            Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Sun, 07/28/13 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                            Foodbme

A very interesting Obituary and insight into a man's life. Leaves me feeling like I know him.

Leaves me wishing I'd met up with him a few times in real life and shared some afternoons in conversation.

buffetbuster

Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 07/29/13 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                              Thanks so much to WJ for calling and letting me know of Dennis Brown's passing.  Like he and CarolinaBob mentioned, Dennis was one of the good guys.  He was very frank about his health, yet remained in high spirits and loved to talk Carolina bbq.  He will be missed!
                                              <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 07/29/13 2:35 PM>

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Tue, 07/30/13 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                                buffetbuster

Thanks so much to WJ for calling and letting me know of Dennis Brown's passing.  Like he and CarolinaBob mentioned, Dennis was one of the good guys.  He was very frank about his health, yet remained in high spirits and loved to talk Carolina bbq.  He will be missed!

I found this photo of the 4 of us on one of our old trip reports...

buffetbuster

Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Mon, 08/5/13 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks for posting that photo WJ!  It brings back some good memories.

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Wed, 10/30/13 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    BUMP - and Edit to the listing

Unfortunately

RIP Karen

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Fri, 11/1/13 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                                      Rest in Peace - Bushie

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                        • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                        Re:A Tribute To Those Roadfooders Who Have Gone On To The Great Meet & Eat In The Sky Thu, 11/21/13 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                                        Amen.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com