New guy on board

Author
zieser
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2013/05/26 11:45:05 (permalink)

New guy on board

Hello all, I've been lurking for a few weeks.  I found this site while researching concessions supplies and new food ideas.

My fiance has worked for her grandfather for the last 15 years in his concessions business.  He started 40 years ago with a snow cone machine and a little shack. He built his concessions side business up over the years to two Wells Cargo 8' trailers and another Streamline or something. After selling off two of the trailers as he aged he is now ready to pass the remaining Wells Cargo trailer over to my fiance and me.

I started hanging around his trailer while dating his grand daughter and began fixing things on or in the trailer (I own a successful auto repair business and still work on cars). From the trailer brakes, wiring, plumbing, repairing the cotton candy machine, cash register and what not he figured that after I had proposed to his grand daughter that it was safe for him to retire (again since he is a retired postal worker) because he could back away now with me in the picture and not have to do any of the heavier work or mechanical repairs anymore.

I've worked in the trailer for two seasons now, we operate from May to October and do local fairs, festivals, flea markets, and the youth football league. My fiance and I will be taking over the stand for two seasons, saving all the revenue, upgrading, maintaining and hopefully expanding his business while saving enough to get the business loan to buy the business, equipment, and event contacts.  Her grandfather will stay on for a bit as the go between for the events so there is a smooth transition. 

We serve funnel cakes, corn dogs, hot dogs, brats, nachos, walking tacos, french fries, chicken strips, tenderloins, fresh squeezed lemonade, and an assortment of other "fair" foods.  I have been a hobby pork and beef smoker for about 6 years after building my own smoker and would like to incorporate that into the business after we officially own it and have some seasons under our belt. Good BBQ is pretty non existent in Iowa and I think I could eventually expand it to a restaurant  but the concession trailer would be a good springboard/testing ground for it.

I need to expand the brand of her grandfather's concession trailer though. Their caps are printed in a cursive that is not very legible and his logo needs to goo on all the glasses, napkins, and containers of food we send out.  I want people who don't know us from the years they have been coming to be able to differentiate us from the other vendors after having one of our hand dipped corn dogs made from home made batter or from our huge walking tacos made from fresh product. 

I have a lot of plans, some great dreams for the business and a great base to start from.  I'll be reading here as much as I can and learning as much as I can absorb when I find the time.

Thank you all for the great website.

Jeff Zieser

21 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1