Brisket, Butterscotch, Buttercream & Balls in the East Village, NYC w/The Travelin' Man!!!

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
2013/05/26 14:15:54 (permalink)

Brisket, Butterscotch, Buttercream & Balls in the East Village, NYC w/The Travelin' Man!!!

Saturday March 10, 2013 - The Travelin' Man was in town for a few days and we met up on this evening for a walking tour of the East Village.  Naturally, our first stop had to be at Katz's Delicatessen.  Looking at these signs and knowing I'm mere feet from cured meat goodness never gets old.

Apologies for the blurry pic.  It was pretty crowded on this night and seemed to be a mix of locals and tourists.

Our respective sandwiches and pickles.

TTM went for the corned beef on rye and the more brightly green half sour pickles are his.  

I asked for full sours with my sandwich which I just love.  

At first, I wasn't sure what to get and thought about the pastrami reuben I had really enjoyed on my last visit but after seeing a Facebook page featuring brisket on a club roll my mind was made up!  A schmear of mustard and I was ready to roll...almost.  TTM strongly suggested I get a side of brown gravy to go with and I'm sooooo glad I listened to him.  

Deceptively simple looking but what a game changer!  I barely put the sandwich down the whole time I ate it.  That club roll was so pillowy soft and fresh, the brisket was incredibly tender and that gravy, spooned on each bite, was just wonderful.  Might be my new favorite sandwich at Katz's.  Each time I go there I come away more and more impressed.  To 125 more years!!

After that belly-filling meal, we walked for a bit up to St. Mark's Place to check out a place that RFer Lexi had told me about.  PUDDIN' is a small shop specializing in different homemade puddings.    

I picked up a Butterscotch to take home to my girlfriend and a Classic (chocolate, whipped cream and butterscotch) for myself.  Being NYC, these were not cheap ($7.50 for a regular size though I'm not sure how many ounces that is) and I had high hopes for them.  

The butterscotch was okay and tasted like a really good vanilla pudding with a hint of butterscotch and the texture was a bit too runny for me.  The whipped cream tasted homemade but that chocolate pudding on the bottom would have me back here in a heartbeat.  Rich, intense and thick, it was everything I thought pudding could be.

We walked down Avenue A and stopped in a shop called ALPHABETS.  Love this place!  All sorts of NYC-centric tchotchkies and weird little items that you wouldn't find in a chain store.  Bacon notepads, NYC journals, etc.  It seemed somewhat like a smaller version of Toy Tokyo, but not exactly.  

Bring a HUGE Twilight Zone fan, this is the coolest, creepiest bobblehead I have ever seen!   Bonus points to anyone who can name the actor who played Kanamit in that Twilight Zone episode AND the name of the film character is he most noted for portraying!!  I have some other pics from inside the store of some really off-color hand sanitizers but I don't think it would be appropriate to post them here.

After our "break" from food, we swung by the East 7th Street location of the Big Gay Ice Cream Shop and I pondered getting a "Bea Arthur" or "Rue McClanahan" cone until I saw that they sold bottles of Sprecher's root beer, a Wisconsin-based brand I've been wanting to try for some time.  A little sweet with a subtle bite and creaminess, I loved it.  

A bit more to come...stay tuned!!

I couple of storefronts away was Butter Lane Cupcakes.  My GF and I had taken a baking class there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and the cupcakes were pretty good too.  

WHAT?  I am all over that!  

Their frostings are pretty amazing as they use quality ingredients and the flavor of each one comes through.

My Maple Pecan frosting shot.  This was so good!  And it didn't taste of sugar but an assertive maple syrup flavor and the pecan on top was crunchy and had a nice roasted taste to it.  

Cupcake love!

TTM's free Espresso shot.  I was really digging the Maple Pecan but this one was even better.  A powerful espresso flavor and so creamy.  

A Vanilla cake with Salted Caramel frosting.

And a chocolate cake with Malted Chocolate frosting & vanilla cake with Chocolate-Peanut Butter frosting.  While the frostings were excellent I think we both were underwhelmed with the texture of the cupcakes bases.  They seemed more dense and muffin-like than I prefer.  Still, I'd go back again as I have had really good ones there before and those frosting shots are only $1.00 (without the Facebook "like') and are totally worth it.

And the "Balls" section of this report.  Since it had been a little while since we sat down for food we walked over the The Meatball Shop on Stanton Street which is really more Lower East Side than East Village.  It's a small space and gets pretty pack and thus the wait for a table can be long but they took my cell number and texted us when a table was ready but we opted to sit at the bar instead.  Apologies for another low quality photo but I did want to show the cool signage of the exterior.  

Naked balls, sliders, heroes, smashes, you can have them any way you want.

Specials of the day.  That roasted banana ice cream sandwiched between two peanut butter cookies sounds really good!

When we found about they had Abita root beer on tap it was decided that root beer-ice cream floats would be the beverage of choice.

TTM's Espresso ice cream and my Fresh Mint ice cream, pre-float.

Billyboy's float.  These were just amazing.  Abita root beer AND Fresh Mint ice cream?  Someone has been reading my diary.

TTM's float.  

My spicy pork meatballs with a classic tomato sauce over creamy polenta.  Not life changing meatballs but very good and that polenta was so soft and creamy I could have eaten another bowl of it.

TTM's spicy pork meatball slider.

TTM's beef & pork meatball smash with a side salad.  I've had the beef & pork before and they're pretty good and that side salad is very light and refreshing.  

We had planned to see the hidden subway station in Lower Manhattan but we had run out of time.  A great time with The Travelin' Man and lots of laughs on a terrific evening of walking on eating in my favorite city.  Hope to have many more this summer and fall.  

The 411:

1.)  Katz's Delicatessen
      205 E. Houston St.
      New York, NY 10002
      Ph# 212-254-2246

2.)  PUDDIN'
      102 St. Mark's Place
      New York, NY 10009
      Ph# 212-477-3537

3.)  ALPHABETS
      115 Avenue A
      New York, NY 10009
      Ph# 212-475-7250
      Website: http://www.alphabetsnyc.com/comingsoon/index.html (not up and running just yet)

4.)  Big Gay Ice Cream Shop
      125 E. 7th St.
      New York, NY 10009
      No phone

5.)  Butter Lane
      123 E. 7th St.
      New York, NY 10009
      Ph # 212-677-2880

6.)  The Meatball Shop
       84 Stanton St.
       New York, NY 10002
       Ph# 212-982-8895

That's all for now.  See you on the next tour...

"Eating is an adventure, enjoy the ride!" - billyboy, 2013

post edited by billyboy - 2013/06/02 05:23:05

17 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1