Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2013/06/07 12:59:56 (permalink)

Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

Yes, that is the official name of the Ocean State.

Poverty Pete is in Southern New England for work and he dropped in yesteday for for some good ol' fashoned Ocean State "Rhode" fooding.

When I returned home from work yesterday we drove down to South County and headed right to the beachfront clam shack, Champlins where we both enjoyed some fried whole bellied clams and clear chowder as well as sharing an order of steamers and stuffies....

This morning before work, we headed to Jigger's Diner, I ordered a platter of jonny cakes to share, Poverty Pete also got a corned beef omelet and I'm happy to say he is no longer  "a coffee milk virgin" 

Although his visit was brief I was glad to play host to one of our favorite roadfooders.

21 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10496
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/07 13:17:09 (permalink)
    He is certainly one of my favorite Roadfooders.  Thanks for the mini-report and glad you guys got together for some Ocean State food.

How do the stuffies at Champlins compare to others?  I think Marguerite's is still the best, even if it is across the state line. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/07 13:22:24 (permalink)
    We agreed that the stuffies at Champlins were the weakest part of the meal.
    Although I enjoyed Marguerite's, I've had better...My vote for my favorite goes to either The Crows Nest (which you had been to but if I recall you were too "stuffed" to enjoy), Duffy's Tavern or Possibly Evelyn's Clam Shack (although it's been a really long time since I've been there.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10496
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/07 13:24:19 (permalink)
    Too stuffed for stuffies, huh?  You couldn't make this stuff up!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/07 13:25:13 (permalink)
    I got a call from PP yesterday and he informed me that he was waiting for WJ in his parking lot.  He thought they were going for lobster rolls but that obviously changed.  Still sounded good to me.  PP indicated he was enroute to Boston, back to Nashville and then to San Jose, CA?  He is a USA traveler now with a great gig.  I am glad to see that he is doing something he totally enjoys.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 578
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/08 00:33:11 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Although I enjoyed Marguerite's, I've had better...My vote for my favorite goes to either The Crows Nest (which you had been to but if I recall you were too "stuffed" to enjoy), Duffy's Tavern or Possibly Evelyn's Clam Shack (although it's been a really long time since I've been there.

Except for Marguerite's, I've enjoyed all those places for many years.  Duffy's is right across the street from where I attended Jr. High School in the 1970s.  I probably have patronized The Crow's Nest more the other places on that list, as it was consistently very good. 
    Champlin's was usually very good, but occasionally threw an air ball. 

Glenn

mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 436
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/08 06:09:28 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Except for Marguerite's, I've enjoyed all those places for many years.  Duffy's is right across the street from where I attended Jr. High School in the 1970s.  I probably have patronized The Crow's Nest more the other places on that list, as it was consistently very good. 
    Champlin's was usually very good, but occasionally threw an air ball. 

Glenn

While Champlin's has an excellent seaside location, I've never been all that pleased with their clams, chowder nor scallops.  I do, however, enjoy having mussels, steamers, lobster and especially their flounder fish & chips, although their chips are also much to be desired.   For scallops and hot lobster roll (cold, not so much), I much prefer Monahan's in Narragansett, although their clams are much like at Champlins.

IMO, the best fried seafood in the state is served at Buttonwoods F&C in Warwick.  No seaside setting nor steamers / mussels / lobster, but exceptional fried clams, scallops, chowder, baked scrod and fresh cut fries & onion rings.   Also like Crow's Nest.

Glad you didn't take him to Aunt Carries nor Iggy's.  Not sure I've ever had anything worthy there.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1770
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/08 11:29:08 (permalink)
    Many many (TOO MANY) decades back, buddies and I would trek from Cape Cod to Narragansett to surf (or sometimes Newport, which had a great burger place on second beach).  There were several "clam shacks" in those days that offered plenty for cheap......but more importantly, they had what one only seems to be able to find in Rhode Island.......clam Fritters!  Several orders of those would help on the long drive home!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/08 15:12:47 (permalink)
    What's a "Stuffie"?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/08 15:45:54 (permalink)
    This.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/09 15:01:11 (permalink)
    It is kinda fun to read of Poverty's adventures on the road. Nothing better than having someone else pay your travel expenses while you have the chance to met up with friends and visit the RF spots you want to try !!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18892
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/09 15:15:52 (permalink)
    Yeah. You gotta hate him.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/10 21:52:09 (permalink)
    I wanted Poverty Pete to experience both the atmosphere of being in a seaside shack along with the food. From my experience without driving all the way to Evelyn's in Tiverton, Champlins was the best of the lot. I've always enjoyed their steamers and fried clams. The chowder was so so and I've had better stuffies.
    I never cared for Iggy's and the only thing I enjoy about Aunt Carrie's are their Clam Cakes..

FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1770
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/10 23:17:38 (permalink)
    I've done Evelyn's......loved it..over and over................next time on the "west side" will have to give Champlins a try
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/11 15:51:35 (permalink)
    Wandering Jew,

Thanks for the hospitality.  What a fun day!  I hope you and Sandra had a good time in Cape Cod.
    Jonny cakes are good food.  Coffee milk?  Not so much.
    Michael, don't hate me, join me.  I think we may have an opening for a tuba polisher.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18892
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/11 16:01:51 (permalink)
    Ah, Poverty, my union allows me to polish only cornets and harmonicas..
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/11 16:35:09 (permalink)
    I've got the woodwinds covered :)
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/11 19:37:03 (permalink)
    I played the flute for years.........admired Stevie Winwood in the 70's.......
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/13 20:51:24 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

Wandering Jew,

Thanks for the hospitality.  What a fun day!  I hope you and Sandra had a good time in Cape Cod.
    Jonny cakes are good food.  Coffee milk?  Not so much.
    Michael, don't hate me, join me.  I think we may have an opening for a tuba polisher.

PP 

We had a great time in Cape Cod and other than Friday Night, when we arrived, the weather cooperated perfectly for the rest of the trip. We got home early Monday evening just in time to hit Providence rush hour traffic.
    Poverty Pete
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/13 21:44:18 (permalink)
    mayor al

It is kinda fun to read of Poverty's adventures on the road. Nothing better than having someone else pay your travel expenses while you have the chance to met up with friends and visit the RF spots you want to try !!

This summer is really starting out on the right foot.  On Saturday, I'll be having dinner in Dallas with Twinwillow,  and Tuesday, I'll be dining with Love2Bake in Palo Alto.  Life is good.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/14 00:22:45 (permalink)
    It's a shame I can't take Pete for some good ole Texas BBQ Saturday night. But all the really good ones close about 3:00 in the afternoon. Bummer!
    So, it looks like Sea Breeze for lobsta rolls. fried clams, and soft shell crabs. I know. It's Dallas. But, we do have an airport!
    http://www.seabreezefish.com/

Poverty Pete
    Re:Poverty Pete Provokes Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. 2013/06/14 05:57:08 (permalink)
    Twinwillow,

After reading that, I've decided to leave Nashville a few hours early.  I should make Dallas by noon tomorrow.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1