The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Stand alone GPS: not dead yet.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
Stand alone GPS: not dead yet. Mon, 06/10/13 3:18 PM (permalink)
I thought I could live with just my phone as a GPS. And really, it was pretty damn good for a long time. But the latest update, to Android 4.1.2 Jellybean, appears to have porked the GPS function on a lot of Android phones, including my Galaxy S3.

(Yeah, it's true. The best selling Android phone ever has trouble keeping a GPS lock, on a clear day in a moving car in the Midwest. Google it. My only consolation is that it appears to be Android related, not Samsung related.)

So I did some research on features and prices, and I bought a Garmin that has lifetime traffic and maps, and that accepts voice instruction. The price for that level of functionality has dropped a lot, so I don't feel all that put out by it. One of the things that sold me is that the maps are stored in memory on the device, rather than continually accessed through the cellular signal, and that it can be upgraded to include any continent in the world, so I can give it to my daughter to use in South America.

<message edited by Mosca on Mon, 06/10/13 3:29 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com