- Joined: 6/18/2013
- Location: san francisco, CA
Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people.
Tue, 06/18/13 12:27 AM
I'm thought about making an online class. I haven't made it yet, but if people are interested then maybe I'll make it.
Background: When I was in college I wanted to start my own company with that was fun, outside, and didn't take a lot of money to start...so I did a hot dog stand.
Most hot dog stands are run by redneck old dudes but I was an arrogant 20 year old college kid...so I (unfortunately) didn't take a lot of their advice because I wanted it to be young and hip.
So I thought about putting something together a step-by-step course. Here's what it would contain:
1. How to register a business...who to call, where to go, and what to say
2. How to buy a cart
3. How to get certified by the health department
4. Step-by-step website set up
5. Registering for Square and taking credit card
6. Unique menu's that I used and tested
7. What starting supplies to buy and where to get them, including Amazon links
8. How to find a spot
9. Email and phone templates for cold calling places when asking to set up on their property
10. Templates for fairs, concerts, and other places you wanna partner with
11. How to interact with customers, including scripts and drills for shy folks
12. Little tips like adjusting prices for lunch vs. drunk night hours
13. Other "dirty secrets" like using cheap ketchup on drunk people, how to get tips, and the golden product (bottle water)
14. How to pay taxes
15. How to cook
16. Twitter, Instagram, and other social media gimmicks to get you popular
17. Marketing tips, like setting up Yelp pages
18. How and when to buy merchandise
18. How to be unique
19. Finally, a ton of funny stories I had including areas I failed in, so you can learn
About my business
Name: Southern Sam's
Was in business for 1 year. Some days made 50 bucks, some days made $800.
Hired 3 people...including the "Bikini Weenie Girls"
Slogan was "Wieners as big as a baby's arm"
Ran it while in college.
Anyway, I haven't made this yet but if people are willing to buy it then I will. I'm thinking I'd charge $50 bucks. You'd get videos, doc's, my cell number so you can ask questions via text, and maybe some other stuff.
If I get a good enough response here, then I'd most likely give it out for free or cheap so I can get feedback.
Let me know what you think!!