Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC

Author
JerseyGirl82
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2013/06/19 12:37:05 (permalink)

Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC

Hi everyone! I am so happy to have stumbled across this site. My boyfriend and I are leaving on a road trip in 2 1/2 weeks - the basis of this trip is around food, mostly BBQ. We'll be traveling between 5 different cities (Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, St. Louis and Kansas City) and we are actively searching for great local road eats. I think we've found places in the major cities for dinner, but we're also looking for places to stop along the way. 

We are flying into Atlanta and staying with friends in Roswell, although we are open to suggestions for anything fun and quirky in that area.

From Atlanta, we will be driving to Nashville, with a planned stop in Lynchburg. Unfortunately we'll be there on a Sunday, but it is my understanding that we can still do the Jack Daniels tour, but not buy anything. It seems that eating at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House is a must, and that reservations are required. Any feedback on that, or other things to do in the area?

We are spending one night in Nashville, and then driving to Memphis for a night - definitely looking for suggestions of places to stop for lunch along I-40 somewhere in between these two cities. 

From Memphis, we will be taking I-55 to St. Louis. We were thinking about stopping at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston on the way, as it seems like a good halfway point. Any feedback or suggestions on other places in the area?

Our final leg will be I-70 from St. Louis to Kansas City, and I would welcome any suggestions for places to stop along the way. 

Thank you so much, and I am looking forward to hearing suggestions and any other tips from anyone who has done a similar trip. I am excited to post about our findings and experiences to share with fellow foodies! 
post edited by JerseyGirl82 - 2013/06/19 14:28:21

28 Replies Related Threads

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 12:55:05 (permalink)
    In Nashville; Princes Hot Chicken. Hot chicken being a Nashville specialty. It's fried chicken with spice maridanded, cooked and painted on. Mild will get your attention.

Just outside in Nolensville is Martin's BBQ. Excellent and featured on DD&D.

Here are my reviews for Tennessee on my blog. Some won't work for you but some might.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...search/label/Tennessee

Keep in mind that JD is in a dry county. You can not buy liquor there. They do sell commemorative bottles in the White Rabbit Saloon but I'm not sure if you can on Sunday.

DT
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 13:16:12 (permalink)
    Lamberts is a big dining hall ,cute idea throwing the rolls
    the food is allright but nothing special. IMHO

mike
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 13:35:07 (permalink)
    For KC barbecue, I recommend Gates nad Oklahoma Joe's.  If you want chicken, try Stroud's.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 13:55:46 (permalink)
    JerseyGirl82

Hi everyone! I am so happy to have stumbled across this site. My boyfriend and I are leaving on a road trip in 2 1/2 weeks - the basis of this trip is around food, mostly BBQ. We'll be traveling between 5 different cities (Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, St. Louis and Kansas City) and we are actively searching for great local road eats. I think we've found places in the major cities for dinner, but we're also looking for places to stop along the way. 

We are flying into Atlanta and staying with friends in Roswell, although we are open to suggestions for anything fun and quirky in that area.

From Atlanta, we will be driving to Nashville, with a planned stop in Lynchburg. Unfortunately we'll be there on a Sunday, but it is my understanding that we can still do the Jack Daniels tour, but not buy anything. It seems that eating at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House is a must, and that reservations are required. Any feedback on that, or other things to do in the area?

We are spending one night in Nashville, and then driving to Memphis for a night - definitely looking for suggestions of places to stop for lunch along I-40 somewhere in between these two cities. 

From Nashville, we will be taking I-55 to St. Louis. We were thinking about stopping at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston on the way, as it seems like a good halfway point. Any feedback or suggestions on other places in the area?

Our final leg will be I-70 from St. Louis to Kansas City, and I would welcome any suggestions for places to stop along the way. 

Thank you so much, and I am looking forward to hearing suggestions and any other tips from anyone who has done a similar trip. I am excited to post about our findings and experiences to share with fellow foodies! 

In Atlanta, my choices for you to try would be, if breakfast, The Silver Skillet. If lunch or dinner, Mary Mac's Tea Room. If BBQ, Fox Bros. You won't be disappointed by those, I promise!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 14:13:46 (permalink)
    Why St. Louis?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 14:21:13 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood JG82!

Finally...someone from <<<Hoboken>>>

I've been waiting for this like Charlie Brown in the pumpkin patch!

Have a good trip and...Stay with us...please!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 14:41:32 (permalink)
    Linus?
    JerseyGirl82
    Junior Burger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 14:50:01 (permalink)
    Ha! Thanks for the warm welcome and great suggestions. Keep 'em coming! 
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 464
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 15:34:08 (permalink)
    JerseyGirl, sounds like you need the Marie, Let's Eat! map, although I'm sorry that we've not gone west of Memphis:
    http://www.communitywalk.com/marie_lets_eat/map/939046

As for a couple of specifics to your route:  Roswell is home to Spiced Right Ribhouse, which is very good, and the Swallow at the Hollow, which I really don't like, and a Dreamland franchise, which is doable for those who've never been to the original.  Outside of BBQ, it's also home to the Fickle Pickle, which has amazingly awesome fried green tomato sandwiches.

Silver Skillet and Mary Mac's are fairly standard "when in Atlanta" replies.  They're also about an hour from Roswell.

Personal bugbear: If you're only going to do one BBQ place in the Atlanta region, DON'T pick Fox Bros.  Everybody does that.  All these blasted road trip blogs go to twenty places in NC and five in SC, then Fox Bros, then Memphis.  Drives me mad.  It's good, and if you are doing four or five here, go.  Otherwise, I recommend Heirloom Market, Sweet Auburn, Community Q, or Dave Poe's.

As for the road to Nashville, I-75 between Marietta and Chattanooga is absolutely packed with easily interstate-accessible BBQ, most of it quite good.  I-24 between Chatta and Nashville is not.  You can find really good stuff, like Martin's, if you're willing to take the detour.

Don't make the mistake that Chattanooga is a skippable bump on the road.  That city is a foodie paradise.  There is all kinds of terrific eating and drinking there.  Shuford's Smokehouse is my favorite BBQ, but there's everything from an amazing brewpub (Terminal) to fabulous hand-mixed, all-natural sodas (Pure Sodaworks) to some of the best burritos I've ever had (Mojo).

Nashville: if the wait at Prince's is too long, try Pepperfire, but do get some hot chicken.  I like Judge Bean's BBQ in Brentwood best, and also Hog Heaven in Centennial Park.

Memphis: People come to blows, but my three favorites of the criminally few I've tried are Leonard's (dry ribs and mustard slaw), Bar-B-Q Shop, and Central.

Eat well!
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 16:27:20 (permalink)
    I had some of the worst Q I've had at Heirloom. Maybe it was a fluke, but I've never went back! Fox Bros, while not the best in ATL is consistent, very good, and convenient. Community is fine stuff, but I've been their when it seems dry, think it's been sitting around too long! You are very correct about a LOT of good Q between Marietta and Chattanooga, and Chatt is indeed a good place to eat!! The only thing of note between Chattanooga and Nashville, in my opinion is Bell Buckle Cafe. 
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 16:30:48 (permalink)
    For St. Louis, I recommend Carl's Drive-In for great burgers and homemade root beer.
    They are also a relatively short drive from Ted Drewes Frozen Custard.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 17:38:20 (permalink)
    It was a fluke.  Heirloom Market is the only Atlanta-area place to make my personal top 10.  I'd eat there every day if I could find a place to park.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 17:59:48 (permalink)
    If you stop in Chatt, I suggest Champy's. Best fried chicken I've had and they also sell delta tamales.

DT
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/19 22:04:37 (permalink)
    After all that BBQ & fried chicken you'll need a little something Italian....

http://www.roadfood.com/F...d-Ravioli-m733107.aspx
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7890
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 08:11:10 (permalink)
    Heartbreak Soup is the man to listen to for all things Atlanta
    Community BBQ is truly my "go to" place for BBQ in Atlanta.
    I've never been to Fox Bros but I understand there bbq is more "Texas Style" , I'd prefer to go with local "Georgia Style" (if there is such a thing) and Community Q seems to fit the bill.

Mary Macs was ok on my visit last year and "not so ok" on my visit earlier this year.
    Matthew's Cafeteria in suburban Tucker certainly gave Mary Mac's a run for their money, however they are not open on weekends.

In Memphis, definely Cozy Corner for cornish game hen and bbq bologna sandwiches, howver I was not impressee with their pulled pork sandwich and I thought their ribs were just "ok". You would be remiss  not to go to to Payne's for their pulled pork sandwich and wet ribs..
    Unfortunately I do have to disagree with Heartbreak Soup on Leonard's, although to be fair I chose to ate from their buffet and it was atrocious, I understand ordering off the menu would be the smart thing to do.
    If you want to try the local  Memphis specialty "bbq spaghetti" I would suggest
     A & R, Interstate or Neely's. Neely's also has a very good pulled pork sandwich.

In Kansas City, my favorite bbq is at LC's, coming in at a close second is Snead's.
    Oklahoma Joe's is fine too, Gates is just "ok" and Arthur Bryants on my last visit 5 years ago was also atrocious.

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 08:40:36 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

It was a fluke.  Heirloom Market is the only Atlanta-area place to make my personal top 10.  I'd eat there every day if I could find a place to park.

I'll have to try it again then! If I had of marked one of my judging scorecards the day I went, it wouldn't have come close to winning even a local amateur event the day I was there.
    JerseyGirl82
    Junior Burger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 11:00:53 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for all the terrific suggestions! It's making me hungry and excited :)

Thoughts on Pappy's Smokehouse in St. Louis? Worth a visit or an overrated tourist trap? We're actually spending 2 nights there (heading to a Cardinals game one night), so we have a little more time there. I have heard that Italian food there is pretty good (we're from North Jersey, so we're extremely picky) and I can't wait to try the fried ravioli that was recommended! 
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 12:11:35 (permalink)
    Would like to know the places you've already decided on for dinners in the major cities.  Hope it's Stroud's in KC.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 12:56:54 (permalink)
    Here's a very fun list for Memphis to research & explore....

http://blogs.commercialap...is-before-you-die.html
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 12:59:24 (permalink)
    Signman,  It's great to read your posts again, Welcome Back !

In St Louis, we like O'Connels Pub, just off I-44 at Kings Hiways.  great Rst Beef, Rib Tips, and other sandwich plates.

http://www.gooeylouiecake.com/general/aboutus.php?act=about&top=ABOUT GOOEY LOUIE
    post edited by mayor al - 2013/06/20 13:03:03
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 15:34:48 (permalink)
    wanderingjew Unfortunately I do have to disagree with Heartbreak Soup on Leonard's, although to be fair I chose to ate from their buffet and it was atrocious, I understand ordering off the menu would be the smart thing to do.

Thanks for the kind words in your post, and no, I would not get the buffet at Leonard's either.  Ribs, mustard slaw, beans, that's all anybody needs.

I don't quite appreciate barbecue buffets the way that many in South Carolina do, but it strikes me that if you must eat at one, do so as early as possible, before the steam trays affect the quality of the food.  In the case of dry rub ribs, that might be "instantly."
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/20 16:02:14 (permalink)
    Pappy's Smokehouse in St. Louis is excellent. Yes, they draw tourists, but they are not a tourist trap. In my opinion, it is the best barbecue in St. Louis. I also second the Mayor's recommendation for O'Connell's Pub.

If you are looking to avoid tourist traps, you might choose someplace besides Lambert's. 
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/24 03:16:02 (permalink)
    A quick follow-up to me noting that there is plenty of good barbecue along I-75 between Atlanta and Chattanooga.  One of those places is Character's in Adairsville (exit # 306).  Well, Michael Character was on last night's episode of BBQ Pitmasters, and if the traffic to my site, via Google searches, over the last five hours is any indication, traffic to his restaurant might be a little crazy if you go at peak time.  On the other hand, I might enjoy the chance to see somebody basking in the glow of TV success and the crowds it could bring.  (I still need to try his ribs!)

http://marieletseat.com/2...us-bbq-adairsville-ga/

rneiner
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/24 07:23:11 (permalink)
    You have to stop at Ted Drews----St.Louis
    Anyplace on the Hill----St.Louis
    Arthur Bryants------Kansas City
    rneiner
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/24 07:23:13 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7890
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/24 07:39:18 (permalink)
    rneiner

I agree with Ted Drewes...as well as anyplace on the Hill (except Rigazzi's) which is horrible
    Arthur Bryants has gone completely downhill. After my very disappointing visit 5 years ago, I'll likely never go back
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/06/24 09:02:44 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

A quick follow-up to me noting that there is plenty of good barbecue along I-75 between Atlanta and Chattanooga.  One of those places is Character's in Adairsville (exit # 306).  Well, Michael Character was on last night's episode of BBQ Pitmasters, and if the traffic to my site, via Google searches, over the last five hours is any indication, traffic to his restaurant might be a little crazy if you go at peak time.  On the other hand, I might enjoy the chance to see somebody basking in the glow of TV success and the crowds it could bring.  (I still need to try his ribs!)

http://marieletseat.com/2...us-bbq-adairsville-ga/

Yes, indeed, good que!!! Here is an interesting link to an Atlanta BBQ map:

http://tinyurl.com/loejppw

Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    Re:Atlanta - Nashville - Memphis - St. Louis - KC 2013/07/10 13:15:17 (permalink)
    Many excellent suggestions! LCs in Kansas City is excellent. Loveless Cafe in Nashville is a worthy Roadfood stop. Dave Poe's in Marietta, Georgia does BBQ pork extremely well. Sam's BBQ 1 is also an excellent Marietta stop.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1