WE DROVE HOW FAR?

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
2013/06/22 11:27:36 (permalink)

WE DROVE HOW FAR?

So, OK. It was good. No, it was better than good. It was outstanding. But, c'mon, 1,217 miles for some barbeque? Yep, that's what we did on our summer vacation.

OK, we did manage a few other meals, but the original object was a trip to Emmitsburg, Maryland for a visit to the famed Chubby's  Barbeque, which has made it into two Roadfood books. Even without the other stops, and the visit to the battlegrounds of Gettysburg and the memorial to Flight 93 near Shanksville, Pennsylvania,  it was worth the drive.

First, let me extend my thanks to Greymo for suggesting the cream of crab soup (and we did bring our own spoons). It was wonderful, and I was fortunate to be permitted a sort of fair share of it by lleechef, who tried to hog the other shared stuff, especially the amazingly wonderful smoked beans loaded with pulled pork. The other shared items were the chili, the collard greens, the pit beef, pulled pork, brisket, smoked corned beef,  smoked pork belly and the garlic fries. lleechef kept the ribs to herself (allowing me the tiniest taste, just as she did with her ribs at the Brick Pit last February in Mobile). Chubby's proprietor Tom Caulfield does really good things with food. And he and his lovely wife Sue were extraordinarily gracious hosts.

I wish it were possible for us to get to Chubby's often enough to be able to fill up each time on the individual items, especially the chili, which was one of the best I've ever tasted (no beans, thank goodness, and with a nice bite the way a great bowl of red is supposed to be), and that marvelous cream of crab soup.

On the way back from Chubby's the next day we stopped in Somerset, Pennsylvania at the Roadfood-reviewed Summit Diner. For a resident of diner-deprived central Ohio it was a monumental pleasure; a return, so to speak, to my East Coast roots. And the diner did not disappoint. How could a place with a Little Deuce Coupe painted on the wall next to our booth, and paintings of a pink '59 Caddy convertible and a black '58 Chevy Impala disappoint? While I had a western omelet and home fries it was the offer of Sriracha that made the eating memorable. lleechef decided to go with the SOS, which was real chipped beef in a cream sauce over toast.

That night we met buffetbuster and Mariton at the Pittsburgh incarnation of Mobile's Wintzell's Oyster House. lleechef has already described our dinner in the Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! thread. As always, it was a pleasure to spend some time with them -- and the food wasn't bad, either.

The next day, Friday, we drove to Pittsburgh's Strip District to meet my grandson for lunch at Wholey's. Why is it that landlocked Western Pennsylvania is the place to go for really great fish sandwiches? leechef and I had the cod while my grandson, who could eat a whole whale at one sitting if he put his mind to it, had this humongous sandwich, fittingly enough called the Whaler.

All in all it was a terrific trip with four Roadfood places visited.

23 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1