The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Mon, 07/8/13 11:54 AM (permalink)
A guy that I met only one time told me his "secret". Rather than doing a normal rotation with his bread, he got his driver to take back unopened packages every day. The bread was still "in date", and fresh, but he thought that his customers liked it REALLY fresh. The driver just sold the "take back"  bread to another unknowing customer. The store owner paid $5 a day, cash, to the driver in addition to the cost of the bread. This is when a sandwich costed about $2. 

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
    Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Wed, 08/21/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
    It is hard to find a nice baguette, even in Paris

WSJ had a front page story today, that the crusty outside, tender inside baguette is getting rare, even in Paris. Customers pick the light color "white" ones cooked for about 17 minutes, rater than a "real" baguette cooked for 21 or 22. The bakers try to educate customers, but customers generally pick the lighter color anyway.

WalMart makes a nice, hot from the oven, "french" loaf, but I thought that calling it "french" was a joke. Maybe not. 
    <message edited by tmiles on Wed, 08/21/13 4:34 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
      Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Wed, 08/21/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
      Ace Bread out of Toronto make excellent baguettes (as well as many other breads) and sell to a number of stores in the USA - they bread arrives frozen and par baked.  they are so good and so successful they are building a factory bakery in NC to serve the USA market better.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
        Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Thu, 08/22/13 1:04 AM (permalink)
        Lee's Sandwiches has one location in AZ and it's in Tempe/Chandler.
        SE Corner of Warner & Dobson. There's a cluster of Asian Markets & Restaurants there.
        http://www.leesandwiches.com/main.php?act=storedetail&catid=19&idstore=12
        They bake their Baguettes fresh all day long and they are the freshest, tastiest Baguettes I've ever eaten. They only stay fresh a short time. If you keep them overnight, by the next morning, they're hard as a rock!
        <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 08/22/13 1:06 AM>

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
          Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Thu, 08/22/13 6:50 AM (permalink)
          Looks like the ACE Factory will be in Cherokee County, South Carolina - not North Carolina.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Thu, 08/22/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
            tcrouzer

Looks like the ACE Factory will be in Cherokee County, South Carolina - not North Carolina.

Yes indeed - Gaffney SC and it just opened:

Gallery: ACE Bakery Opens First U.S. Facility In Gaffney

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 12:41 PM EDTUpdated: May 21, 2013 12:41 PM EDT By WSPA Staff - [link=mailto:webmaster@wspa.com?body=http://www.wspa.com/story/22054259/ace]email[/link]

They hired 51 people to work there, producing up to 32 million baguettes each year.

A major company opened its first U.S. bakery in Cherokee County Tuesday.

A ribbon cutting was held for ACE Bakery in Gaffney, marking its official opening.
            They hired 51 people to work there, producing up to 32 million baguettes each year.
            The company says that's enough bread to reach from Gaffney to Paris, and then back to Gaffney.
            The company says it is no in a position to continue supplying artisan baked bread to the retail and food service sectors throughout the country, with a focus on the East Coast.
            "Thanks to the incredible support of our U.S. food service and retail clients, demand for ACE Bakery's bread has continued to grow at a remarkable rate across the country," said Lee Andrews, President, ACE Bakery. "With the new bakery in Cherokee County, we can now produce a wide variety of high-quality artisan breads closer to our American customers, improving our distribution and ability to service bread lovers across the U.S."
            Tours and a luncheon were also held Tuesday.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7742
              Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Thu, 08/22/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
              Dom of Dom's Bakery Grand with the famous <<<Hoboken>>> Baguette...

Delicious alone & used for the wonderful Italian Roadfood sandwiches throughout <<<Hoboken>>> NJ.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
                Day-old bread can obviously ruin an otherwise good / excellent sandwich, but by that definition alone, Subway would be at the top of one's list.

Granted, fresh bread is an important requirement, but it takes a lot more than freshness to make a decent sandwich. 

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 10:25 AM (permalink)
                  Not much more...if you have a great baguette...

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                    Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 11:47 AM (permalink)
                    In Dallas, we have a few (just a few) bakeries that bake a credible French style baguette. However, the bakeries located in our larger Hispanic markets (Fiesta) make excellent, light and crusty bolillos which are perfect for subs & heros etc.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                      Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 12:43 PM (permalink)
                      To guarantee my sandwiches are made with the freshest bread possible, I take 2 slices from a fresh loaf of Wonder and pitch the rest...

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 4:25 PM (permalink)
                        ScreamingChicken

To guarantee my sandwiches are made with the freshest bread possible, I take 2 slices from a fresh loaf of Wonder and pitch the rest...

I thought WONDER went way of the Dinosaur or is it back with the first round of twinkees?

MJAMBRO - Subway fresh bread yes, good bread.....

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
                          Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 4:43 PM (permalink)
                          CajunKing

ScreamingChicken

I thought WONDER went way of the Dinosaur or is it back with the first round of twinkees?

No...no...no...in my humble opinion Subway bread is NOT REAL Italian bread...it's not even as good as the cheaply made Italian you usually get made from frozen dough at a supermarket. We have many great sub shops around here that use quality crispy crust Italian bread...oh and fresh cut cold cuts,unlike the pre-sliced from the warehouse Subway stuff!!!!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
                            Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 5:03 PM (permalink)
                            I found many complaints about Subway bread. Here's one site:http://www.epinions.com/review/rest-Chain_Restaurants-All-Subway/content_90577735300?sb=1

Fresh isn't everything in a good sub. Quality matters. I'll take day-old   REAL Italian sub bread over fresh subway fast food bread any day....just my opinion!

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 5:13 PM (permalink)
                              No chain sub shop offers real Italian or French chewy crusty breads.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                Folks on the whole want soft nothing bread.  That is why these chain subs shop stay around.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 5:44 PM (permalink)
                                  I wasnt saying subway bread was good, only that it was "fresh".

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                    Like store bought white bread..

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                      NYPIzzaNut

Like store bought white bread..

ZACTLY!!!!

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                                        Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                        leethebard

CajunKing

ScreamingChicken

No...no...no...in my humble opinion Subway bread is NOT REAL Italian bread...it's not even as good as the cheaply made Italian you usually get made from frozen dough at a supermarket. We have many great sub shops around here that use quality crispy crust Italian bread...oh and fresh cut cold cuts,unlike the pre-sliced from the warehouse Subway stuff!!!!

I thought that was my point.  If freshness alone was a primary factor, Subway would score very high.  Unfortunately, their quality is so bad, even being cooked up fresh doesn't do anything for them.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Fri, 08/23/13 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                          mjambro

leethebard

CajunKing

ScreamingChicken

I thought that was my point.  If freshness alone was a primary factor, Subway would score very high.  Unfortunately, their quality is so bad, even being cooked up fresh doesn't do anything for them.

ZACTLY!!! We all now agree!

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                                            Re:Fresh bread makes the best sandwiches Sat, 08/24/13 12:51 AM (permalink)
                                            There are two times a year that I like cheap ass white bread. The first is Thanksgiving, as it brings back fond memories. White bread w/ turkey, ice burg lettuce, Hellman's Mayo and salt and pepper. The second is fresh tomato season. That is when I take a loaf of cheap ass white bread, salt and pepper, Hellman's and a sharp knife out to the garden and make tomato sandwiches. Well, also sometimes to make PBJ sandwiches with slices of cold butter.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com