Hot!Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhandle

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
2013/07/11 21:19:28 (permalink)

Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhandle

Early last year I knew I would be returning to New Mexico, The land of Enchantment sometime this summer. At the time I thought I would combine it with a tour through Oklahoma. I even thought of the perfect title for what would be my future trip report..."Sooner or Mañana" Well, this trip did not go forward as I initially planned, at least not the way I thought it would....This would be more than "just another trip"....and if you're wondering why, I guess you'll have to read on...Unfortunately due to financial and time constraints that were somewhat unexpected, I couldn't make it to Oklahoma....but, in it's place,  West Texas will have to suffice...

Once again, these photos are raw- I simply do not have the time to photo shop- this will also be the last trip report of the year for me (other than the year end best of report)It's a week long and it will probably take me forever to finish it anyway.- I have a couple of other short trips planned, but they will be  with my girlfriend...

Tuesday July 2

Southwest has a wonderful way with their connections. I would be changing planes in Chicago Midway, thinking I would have at least a half hour before I board, arriving 15 minutes late, made a mad dash to the opposite side of the terminal for a char dog at Gold Coast which I gulped down as a lined up at the gate waiting to board the plane..

Arriving in Albuquerque  a few minutes early, I grabbed my rental and made it to 

Route 66 Diner

At around 10:20 PM- Luckily they're open till 11...Located on it's namesake, Historic Route 66. 
As I arrive, I'm greeted by Buffetbuster ! What was he doing here?  I was hoping Mariton would be there too, but she was back at the Hotel getting some much needed shut eye after their big trip (something that I'll be looking forward to very shortly too)

As I entered the diner I had the the pleasure of being greeted by 

Betty Boop- Unfortunately she wasn't our waitress....We had to settle for "some guy"

The Route 66 Diner, offers the classic 50's style diner setting....And it's been around awhile too...
The last time I visited was with my mother back in 1990 when she lived in Albuquerque..

Well I came here for a reason and I'm going to do exactly as the clock told me to do

I got the same item that I ordered 23 years ago

The  Pile Up
This delicious mess include home fried potatoes, eggs any style (In my case- over medium) bacon, cheese, chopped green chilies and red or green chili - I chose green just as I did over two decades ago - well I was able to finish half of it (I know at that point in time someone in Chicagoland probably had just fallen out of bed!)  Buffetbuster had a slice of Apple Pie which he didn't think was anything special...

After my late night meal, we parted ways (at least for now) I had a big 4 hour road trip the next morning. 
Thankfully my hotel was only 1/2 a mile a way...

Much more to come.... 

187 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1