The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

More use out of useless gadgets

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
More use out of useless gadgets Tue, 07/16/13 3:05 PM (permalink)
A lot of kitchen gadgets have very limited use, and can be more trouble than they're worth for even that task. I started this thread to talk about those gadgets, for maybe better uses.

In another thread, someone suggested using an electric knife for cutting through frozen meatballs. Most people who have electric knives barely use them at all. I must admit that while, for food, they are of limited use (outside of cutting large roasts, I prefer a well-made sharp knife), they work GREAT for cutting through and shaping foam rubber to, for example, replacing fillings in old cushions.

But getting to food, I use a mandoline on a virtually weekly basis. It's easier to clean than a food processor, and I eat a LOT of salad (I use it mainly for celery, tomatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, and cucumbers). The problem with it is that the "guard" is, for most purposes, a joke, and the major danger of slicing your fingers with it if you're not using the guard. However, for about $20 extra, you can buy a cut-proof or cut resistant glove; in 3 years of using it, I've hit the blade with my fingers several times, but never got a scratch (note that I am NOT giving sources to avoid endorsing anything; you can easily look it up or ask at your local kitchen supply store).

So, what generally underused kitchen gadgets to you use?

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com