Hot!Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2013/07/18 10:11:53 (permalink)

Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent.

This thread is a little different from the "why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood" thread...

Over the years I've been to many many restaurants that I believe definitely deserve a review on Roadfood. These are restaurants that the Stern's have obviously never visited- they're only two people and certainly can't visit every independent restaurant in the country. As I've indicated previously that although I've done a few restaurant reviews in the past, I simply don't have the time to do so any more and I don't see that ever changing in the near or far distant future...(sorry that's just the way it is)

What I would like to do is provide a list of restaurants I've visited over the last 3 years that have either never been on the website or in a Roadfood book that I believe deserve a review...

I'll go backwards chronologically beginning with 2013 (for restaurants that I've visited more than once during these consecutive years, I'll consider   the most recent visit) My list is voluminous and some may wonder if they are all Roadfood worthy? Well considering that there are quite a few restaurants already reviewed by by the Sterns or others   where I've wondered the same? (thankfully a minority) Then the answer is a resounding yes. I will not include any restaurants that have subsequently closed, changed ownership or menus since I've last visited.

1.  Community BBQ - Decatur GA
2. Miss Myra's Pit bbq- Vestavia Hills AL (this will be the last review that I do)
3. Lawan's Soul Food Restaurant- Charlotte NC
4. Long Creek Fish Fry- Dallas NC
5. Ballard Bros Seafood and Burgers - Seattle WA
6. Ivar's Mukilteo Landing- Mukilteo WA
7. Harbor City Restaurant- Seattle WA
8. Pikes Place Chowder- Seattle WA
9. Puerto Sagua - Miami FL
10. Tap Tap- Miami FL
11. Le Tub- Hollywood FL
12. Tyler's BBQ- Amarillo TX
13. Mary and Tito's- Albuquerque NM
14. Sophia's Place- Los Ranchos De Albuquerque NM
15. Padilla's Mexican Kitchen - Albuquerque NM
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/19 12:21:27

118 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6524
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 15:10:06 (permalink)
    Dale - I will totally agree with you on Community BBQ and Miss Myra's.  I have been to both of them and you are right they are not only good food, but roadfood worthy.  I look forward to your Miss Myra's review.

I can not comment on the others for I have not been to them, but in saying that I also know you and your penchant for sticking to the original definition of roadfood, and if the others meet your criteria then I know they will be good and should be reviewed.

Looking forward to the rest of your list of those that should be reviewed.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 467
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 15:17:37 (permalink)
    Last month, deep in the comments of That Thread What Got Deleted, I made a reply that went a little like this...

What Roadfood.com needs is a "Suggest a Joint" feature.  A button that goes to a form that each person who'd like to see a restaurant here would then fill out with some basic information.  Name of the place, city/state, what kind of food, maybe (appx) when it was opened, URL to some blog/Chopped Onion review of the place, a box to type a couple of sentences, if wished.  Maybe a checkbox for "I would like to write a review of this restaurant if it's approved."

Then the mods / site owners can read the form, do a little research, look around the web for other reviews, and decide whether they'd like to have it on the site before anything else is written.  Perhaps the moderators can get a skeleton page together and wait for photos and reviews from users once they have decided that they wish to have the restaurant included?
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 467
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 15:24:52 (permalink)
    That said...

Roadfood.com's most surprising omission, to me, is Sprayberry's Barbecue in Newnan GA.  If you go to the original location, they have several copies of the Sterns' syndicated newspaper story about the place, from several different papers, framed on one of the walls.  They raved about it.  I've always been surprised that it did not make it to the site.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 16:16:42 (permalink)
    Good list, WJ. I have a few myself I want to write up. Now if I only had the time!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 17:42:06 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone... Initially I was going to prepare a list going back to 2008 (and I still might) but things change quickly. I remember I was going to do a review of Fried's Family Restaurant in BismarckMandan ND which I visited during my Heartlanding Through the Breadbasket in 2010. They were famous for their Knoephla Soup. Then after decades of same ownership the original sisters sold the place to new owners  so I decided against formally reviewing the place, although I understand Fried's is  still doing exceptionally well however the original owners took the original recipe with them..
    Another example I can think of is The Roost in Fishers IN which I visited in 2011 They no longer are open for dinner and therefore no longer offer their dinner menu, however they are part of the Sahm's Restaurant group and in order to re-create the dinner I had you would literally have to visit two different restaurants in two different parts of town because not all the menu items are available at each restaurant.
    I decided to tailor my list back to 2011 instead. 
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/18 18:18:48
    NMBullRdr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 18:36:27 (permalink)
    I live in New Mexico, agree with your choices and can point you to a couple of more.  But I want to also agree with Tyler's BBQ in Amarillo, TX.  Found this place two years ago before they made Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Joints.  Wrote my own review with nice pictures, but sadly, still has not been published. 
    Ed Face
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/18 18:39:22 (permalink)
    Wade's Diner in Oswego, N.Y., the omelets are amazing, swell cottage fried potatoes, and thick cinnamon raisin bread that they butter & grill, not toasted. I drive a few times a year, 1 1/2 hrs. each way, well worth it. It's always worth sitting at the counter to watch them prepare the food. Delicious & fun.
    Southern Fried
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 01:29:07 (permalink)
    1. I have never been able to understand why Herrell’s Ice Cream in Northampton, Mass is not on Roadfood. It is better than many of the other ice cream places listed here.

2. Haymarket Pizza in Boston belongs on Roadfood. I once had a job assignment in the building at the site of the Boston tea party on Atlantic Ave. At lunch my friends and I would walk past Quincy Market to get to Haymarket Pizza. It was a favorite lunchtime destination of ours. It is a true hole-in-the-wall with no seating. You have to stand at a table and eat, if you are lucky enough to get one. The pizza is sold by the slice and is inexpensive. It is a true Roadfood experience. I love it!

3.  Huber's Orchard in southern Indiana - once when I was visiting family in Louisville, we went to Huber’s for lunch. But that was years ago. I am sure that The Mayor would know if this is still a good Roadfood destination, but I would think so.

4. The Bread Wagon in Thomasville, Georgia
    I didn’t know that there were any Mennonites that far south in Georgia. But chickenplucker did a nice job of describing it in a thread he started with lots of good photos. He has everything needed for a great Roadfood review. It just need to be added to the database.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/The-Bread-Wagon-ThomasvilleGa-m734577.aspx

5. Sherman's Dairy Bar in South Haven, Michigan – since 1916
    I once had a job assignment in South Haven. I really enjoyed the planked whitefish and beef pasties in that area. It has been too long ago for me to make any recommendations. I would like to go back there someday. But this area of southwest Michigan has not really been covered in the Roadfood database. Too bad since western Michigan is a good place to visit with the beaches with sand dunes, the tulips in Holland, the blueberries, cherries, etc.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 08:37:27 (permalink)
    Southern Fried

1. I have never been able to understand why Herrell’s Ice Cream in Northampton, Mass is not on Roadfood. It is better than many of the other ice cream places listed here.

3.  Huber's Orchard in southern Indiana - once when I was visiting family in Louisville, we went to Huber’s for lunch. But that was years ago. I am sure that The Mayor would know if this is still a good Roadfood destination, but I would think so.

By all means Huber's is most certainly on Roadfood, I'm alost positive that Herrell's is too.

Just out of curiousity, when you wonder why these places aren't on Roadfood, of course you're referring to why a forum member hasn't reviewed it and not the Sterns, yes?

As I indicated before I've been to probably a good 60 or 70 restaurants over the last 5 or 6 years and have wondered the same but of course know that The Sterns are only 2 people and can't review everything. I'm convinced that most if not all of these restaurants that I've visited  WOULD be on Roadfood if the Stern's were able to visit every single one of them.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/19 08:39:16
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 08:39:42 (permalink)
    And also understanding that it is good business sense for the Sterns to have places listed in the Roadfood books that aren't reviewed here on the site. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 12:18:23 (permalink)
    Here is my 2012 list

1. Creole Creamery - New Orleans LA
    2. Neal's Cafe- Springdale AR
    3.Two Sister's Kitchen- Jackson MS
    4. Catfish Hole - Alma AR
    5. Nason's Stone House Farms- West Boxford MA
    6. Gilbert's Chowder House- Portland ME
    7. Hot Suppa- Portland ME
    8. Tacos De Juarez- Phoenix AZ
    9. Carolinas Mexican Kitchen- Phoenix AZ
    10. La Tolteca- Phoenix AZ
    11. Piedras Negres De Noche- San Antonio TX
    12. La Huasteca - San Antonio TX
    13. True BBQ- West Columbia SC
    14. Spiced Right BBQ- Roswell GA 
    15 Amy's Ice Cream- Austin TX
    16. McGeary's Pub- Albany NY
    17. Grandma's Restaurant- Albany NY (another place that the "hipsters" love to hate!!)
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/22 12:35:50
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 13:04:48 (permalink)
    Hey WJ, in the time it took you to start this thread and make these lists, you could have written up a couple of reviews!

Seriously, I'm glad you started this thread and will throw in a few names, also, if you don't mind. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 13:19:50 (permalink)
    buffetbuster,

I actually went home for lunch and made these lists! they both took about 10 minutes each.
    Southern Fried
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 15:54:53 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Southern Fried

By all means Huber's is most certainly on Roadfood, I'm alost positive that Herrell's is too.

Just out of curiousity, when you wonder why these places aren't on Roadfood, of course you're referring to why a forum member hasn't reviewed it and not the Sterns, yes?

As I indicated before I've been to probably a good 60 or 70 restaurants over the last 5 or 6 years and have wondered the same but of course know that The Sterns are only 2 people and can't review everything. I'm convinced that most if not all of these restaurants that I've visited  WOULD be on Roadfood if the Stern's were able to visit every single one of them.

No, I am not just referring to just the reviews by the Sterns. I’ve you click on the “Restaurant” tab at the top of this site and search on Massachusetts, Herrell’s is not there. The same goes for Huber’s in Indiana (I am not talking about the Huber’s in Oregon).

If I look at the Roadfood book that I have at hand (it may be a couple of editions old),  neither Huber’s Orchard or Herrell’s is in it.

Wanderingjew, where do you see them on Roadfood that makes you claim they are?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 16:19:43 (permalink)
    Southern Fried

No, I am not just referring to just the reviews by the Sterns. I’ve you click on the “Restaurant” tab at the top of this site and search on Massachusetts, Herrell’s is not there. The same goes for Huber’s in Indiana (I am not talking about the Huber’s in Oregon).

If I look at the Roadfood book that I have at hand (it may be a couple of editions old),  neither Huber’s Orchard or Herrell’s is in it.

Wanderingjew, where do you see them on Roadfood that makes you claim they are?

Southern Fried,

Huber's was definitely in the most recent edition of the Roadfood book

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe Herrell's may have been in the 500 places to Eat book but as I indicated previously I'm not 100% certain.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 16:26:13 (permalink)
    WJ and Southern Fried, there is a listing for the now closed Herrell's in Allston, MA in the Submit Content section.  Not sure if there ever was an actual review that had been archived or if someone had started to submit one but never finished (or it was never accepted).  My guess is the info for it may have been put in the system not long after Chris & Amy (ayersian) and Stephen Rushmore Jr. had gone on their New England Ice Cream Tour a number of years ago (2008 or 2009?).  
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/19 17:01:54 (permalink)
    There is also a review in the submit content area for Miss Myra's in Birmingham...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 09:47:02 (permalink)
    Here is my 2011 List

1. Sweety Pies- Skokie IL- (Where is that review, Chi Town Diner?)
    2. Jay's Beef- Harwood Heights IL (Ditto)
    3. Burt's Pizza- Morton Grove IL (Ditto)
    4. Weiner and Still Champion- Evanston IL (Ditto)
    5. Milwaukee Brat House- Milwaukee WI
    6. The Old Fashioned- Madison WI
    7. Kegel's Inn- Milwaukee WI
    8. Farmer Brown's Steakhouse- Waterloo NE
    9. Ted & Wally's Ice Cream- Omaha NE
    10. Risser's Family Restaurant- Womelsdorf PA
    11. Gab n Eat- Carnegie PA (Buffetbuster?)
    12. Tessaro's- Pittsburgh PA (Ditto)
    13. Pamela's- Pittsburgh PA (Ditto)
    14. Corner Pub- Springfield IL (the best Horseshoe I've ever had blowing D & J cafe right out of the water )
    15. O'Connell's- St Louis MO (TTM? Al?) 
    16. Mai Lee- Brentwood MO
    --
    BTW these lists are just non local- if I were to include local restaurants within a 100 mile radius there would be dozens more...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/22 09:15:40
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8652
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 15:05:05 (permalink)
    Had the pleasure of eating at Hubers. Great fried chicken, and chicken livers. And great company. Surprised at WJs love of the Brat house-but having dined there recently, I would agree.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 15:16:51 (permalink)
    wanderingjew 

10. Gab n Eat- Carnegie PA (Buffetbuster?)
    11. Tessaro's- Pittsburgh PA (Ditto)
    12. Pamela's- Pittsburgh PA (Ditto) 
    I have reviews for Gab & Eat and Tessaro's written up, haven't sent them in yet.   As for Pamela's, even though this place is Roadfood worthy, someone else will have to pen a review.  I just don't think I love it enough.

Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 15:24:25 (permalink)
    I've been intending to write a review of Tessaro's for a few years, but it's been hard for me to find time and energy for writing these days. If someone else feels motivated to write a review of Tessaro's, please don't feel you should wait for me.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 16:37:29 (permalink)
    Regarding Sweety Pies in Skokie; it should be noted that the Chicago area is now graced with a triumvirate of outstanding Pie Shops.  Sweety Pies Bakery, Hoosier Mama Pie Company, and most recently, Bang Bang Pie Shop.

Perhaps what's called for is an overall article about Chicago's Pie Phenomenon.

Buddy

Sweety Pies Bakery
    8042 Lincoln Ave.
    Skokie, IL 60077
    (847 213-0900
    http://www.sweetypiesbakery.com/

Hoosier Mama Pie Company
    1618 W Chicago Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (312) 243-4846
    http://www.hoosiermamapie.com/

Bang Bang Pie Shop
    2051 N California Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 276-8888
    http://www.bangbangpie.com/

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6524
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 18:20:48 (permalink)
    OK BUDDY THAT DID IT!!!!

Now i NEED to get to ChiTown.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/20 20:16:54 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, do you know the password?

Buddy
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/21 00:02:17 (permalink)
    There's pie around here?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/21 01:33:48 (permalink)
    There used to be, until a certain someone I know ate it all.

Buddy
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/21 01:42:41 (permalink)
    Agree with all of the above, at least those I have been to... and add FREDDIES Pizza/Deli, Berwyn, IL, a great place for a RF meeting and lunch
    rneiner
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/21 07:28:00 (permalink)
    How about any place on the Hill in Saint Louis.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Restaurants that should be on Roadfood but arent. 2013/07/21 09:25:35 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

There used to be, until a certain someone I know ate it all.

Buddy

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1