The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Fri, 07/19/13 7:52 PM (permalink)
"This is one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind"
Neil Armstrong on the surface of the moon.

I was not born yet, but have my mother's reel to reel recordings of that earth changing event.  Not to find a decent reel to reel player 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17852
    Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Fri, 07/19/13 7:58 PM (permalink)
    I was in a Howard Johnson's motel in New Orleans watching the landing and the walk. We were still living in the Virgin Islands and had come back to the States on vacation. On our way from Miami to New Orleans we had stopped at a Holiday Inn in Kissimmee, and the next morning we were having coffee in the motel coffee shop and went outside to watch as those guys blasted off to the moon. We got to New Orleans just in time to watch the rest of the story.

buffetbuster

Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Fri, 07/19/13 8:03 PM (permalink)
      My family was watching on a black and white tv in our hotel room while we were in Montreal.  I was only six, but remember it well.
      <message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 07/19/13 8:15 PM>

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Fri, 07/19/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
        wow- ancient history- one of my earliest memories.
        What was I doing? well, I would  be starting pre-school that fall!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
          Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Fri, 07/19/13 8:34 PM (permalink)
          My Dad and I were painting my room. He had stopped at the local news stand and bought a "build yourself" replica of the lunar module. Very nice memories of being allowed to stay up to watch Neil Armstrong take those first steps! Thanks CK!

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
            Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Fri, 07/19/13 9:24 PM (permalink)
            I remember watching it on TV. I had just turned 21 a few months before. I have no particular memory of being at a certain location or with anyone I can recall. I really admire you folks that have a good memory.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
              Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sat, 07/20/13 3:05 AM (permalink)
              I was at a Blind Faith concert in Baltimore, MD.  The band wouldn't come out and play until the astronauts actually walked on the moon. 

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
                Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sat, 07/20/13 8:41 AM (permalink)
                I had just graduated college and my wife and I were visiting friends for a 'viewing/cook-out';  so, we all watched in awe on a 17" B&W portable TV equipped with rabbit ears.

The next day the front page of The New Castle News was, of course, dominated by the Moon Landing.  But, at the very bottom of the front page there were about two column inches that reported this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident , the unfortunate death of Mary Jo Kopechne.

Indeed, 07/20/1969 - together with 11/22/1963 and 09/11/2001 - are the three specific days in my lifetime where I retain vivid, exact memories of "what I was doing".  The two other dates were tragic, but the moon landing was indeed a Triumph!

Think of it - the USA accelerated a 30 story rocket from 0 to 25,000 MPH, landed men on the moon and brought them safely back to Earth - and did it all with less computing power than what is now in most cellphones.  WOW!
                <message edited by MetroplexJim on Sat, 07/20/13 2:24 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                  Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sat, 07/20/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
                  I was 13, it was a hot Sunday afternoon and my parents and I watched on our big "French Provincial" console TV in the living room.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                    Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sat, 07/20/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
                    I was 20, working as an ordinary seaman on the Sealand SS Boston on my way to Rotterdam, then to Bremen,   Grangemouth Scotland, Felixstowe England and finally Port Newark; quite the summer adventure.  Interesting getting the moon landing news from the European perspective.  Not as supportive as you may think.  I remember one analyst comparing the voyage to the moon to Columbus's sailing to America.   Columbus had no idea where he was headed but the astronauts had their entire trip planned to the smallest detail, ergo Columbus was a big deal, the astronauts, not so much.

Sundancer7

Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sat, 07/20/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                      I was in Houston for a convention and watching live.  Black and white and not very good reception or video???

Historic event that I will always remember.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                        Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sat, 07/20/13 3:26 PM (permalink)
                        I was at my best friends house watching it all. Thanks Sharon! My parents watched it as well on their TV, but Dad said I should see it with a good friend........and to this day, I remember our experience.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Sun, 07/21/13 1:40 PM (permalink)
                          I had finished my first year of teaching at a rural Upsstate New York high school, and was working as a 'ScoutMaster' at the Cedarlands Scout Reservation in Long Lake, New York.  Although it was a bit remote, I had a portable radio available, and I recall having it on during the evening campfire session with the 40 boys in my unit, listening to History being made.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
                            Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Mon, 07/22/13 7:55 AM (permalink)
                            44 years ago, I would have been starting pre-school, watching Underdog and eating a bowl of Quisp!
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisp
                            <message edited by WarToad on Mon, 07/22/13 12:36 PM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
                              Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Mon, 07/22/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
                              kozel

Interesting getting the moon landing news from the European perspective.  Not as supportive as you may think.  I remember one analyst comparing the voyage to the moon to Columbus's sailing to America.   Columbus had no idea where he was headed but the astronauts had their entire trip planned to the smallest detail, ergo Columbus was a big deal, the astronauts, not so much.

Well ..., that is certainly another way of looking at it.  Meow. Meow. Meow!

Frankly, I'm surprised that they didn't insist on crediting "German scientists" for the achievement!

At least we didn't infect "The Man on the Moon" with smallpox!

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
                                • Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                                Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Mon, 07/22/13 12:27 PM (permalink)

It was one of my earlier memories as a young boy.  I got to stay up late to watch the special event on TV. 

Glenn

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                  Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Mon, 07/22/13 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                  I was hugely expectant with my first child. I remember sitting up to watch the landing and thinking what a different world my child would live in.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                    Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Mon, 07/22/13 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                    I was a 1-month old baby that didn't know very much about the moon.
                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 07/22/13 10:31 PM>

bartl

• Total Posts: 1210
                                      Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Tue, 07/23/13 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                      I was in a small hotel in Northern Denmark, where everybody was watching on a 13" portable black and white with marginal reception. After the landing, they patted us on the back and congratulated us.

Bart

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                        Re:44 Years Ago - July 20th - What Were You Doing? Wed, 07/24/13 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                        I was 4 years old and living in Dodge City, Kansas at the time. We watched the landing and moon walk on a 13 inch black and white set. About twenty or so relatives and neighbors crowded around the little T.V. 

David O.
                                        <message edited by boyardee65 on Wed, 07/24/13 12:36 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com