Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Random Food Related Thoughts

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 84 of 84
ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 2:43 PM (permalink)
What do think would be the best way to heat up some sliced deli pastrami for sandwiches? I was thinking of using a veggie steamer on the stove.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 3:20 PM (permalink)
    Just fired up the grill and made lunch for the kids and neighbor kids.  Neighbor girl is 12 and all of 75 lbs.  Typical long legged stick-thin pre-teen. 

She just hammered down 5 chili-cheese dogs. Didn't even phase her.  Said thank you and they all went running off to the fort in the woods.  I'm left a little in awe.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
      Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 3:33 PM (permalink)
      ces1948

What do think would be the best way to heat up some sliced deli pastrami for sandwiches? I was thinking of using a veggie steamer on the stove.

I always do it in the microwave. And then I make the sandwiches and put them in the microwave to warm them through. It always works perfectly for me. It's just a matter of a few seconds each time, so you're not cooking the meat.

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
        Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
        SeamusD

bartl

ChrisOC
        When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.

My mother would make the tuna sandwich the night before, and put it in the freezer overnight. By lunchtime, it had defrosted. Usually. Mostly.

Bart

In elementary school, my grandmother would make me a Carl Buddig ham sandwich with mayo, and put it on top of an ice cold can of Dr. Pepper in my lunch bag. The soda and the sandwich would be just right by noon.

When my kids were in school I would freeze Capri Suns and set their sammich on top of that.  Perfect by lunchtime.

When I was little, my father's go-to lunch was a Carl Buddig beef with lettuce and Best Foods sandwich spread.   Every time I see the Buddig packages in the store I feel all nostalgic. :)

drummagick

Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 3:36 PM (permalink)
          Scorereader

random thought:

No matter how many pounds the package of bacon is, it gets cooked at one time...and eaten within 24 hours. It's really damn hard to control bacon.

"Control" and "bacon" don't even belong in the same sentence.  With my son and I,  it's cook a half pound and eat it in one sitting.

drummagick

Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 3:43 PM (permalink)
            lleechef

When I lived in France my neighbor, Christienne, made the best, best, best French fries I ever ate in my life.  I'm not a fan of fries, but hers were spectacular.  She used potatoes from her garden (don't know what kind) and cooked them in a mixture of pork lard and oil that had been seasoned with garlic, thyme and bay leaf. 
            Also Maroilles tartine which is French bread topped with Maroilles cheese and put under the broiler.  Then you spread the whole thing with farm butter. 

I read an article somewhere (could it have been in Gourmet?) that cooking fries in horse fat makes just about the best fries ever.  Duck fat maybe, horse fat....I dunno.  It was an interesting article though!

I miss fries cooked in beef fat, they were SO GOOD!!  I try to explain to my kids how much better fries were when I was a teenager and as soon as I mention beef fat, they're all "OH GROSS!!!"  lol

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
              Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 08/8/13 3:58 PM (permalink)
              ces1948

Wrap in waxed paper or parchment, and heat in the microwave at 50%.

Bart

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 08/9/13 9:43 AM (permalink)
                WarToad

She just hammered down 5 chili-cheese dogs. Didn't even phase her.  Said thank you and they all went running off to the fort in the woods.
                Oh...the fort in the woods.  After the part about 5 chili-cheese dogs I read it a little differently the first time through.

WarToad

Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 08/9/13 11:55 AM (permalink)
                  ScreamingChicken

Oh...the fort in the woods.  After the part about 5 chili-cheese dogs I read it a little differently the first time through.

Well, to be fair, whenever you get 8 kids together, you can lay money down there will be a fair bit of "forting" going on accompinied by giggles and accusations.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 08/9/13 3:52 PM (permalink)
                    Ran across a new product today at super wallyworld. Nathan's beef bologna. 1 lb package for $3.98
                    Brought some home and made a sandwich and have to say it's pretty good.

drummagick

Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 10/17/13 2:59 PM (permalink)
                      I was just looking at the review for The Shack and thinking "That Shepherd's pie looks good if it wasn't for the peas.".  Peas in anything is a deal breaker for me.  I love snow peas.  I love edible pod peas (only raw), but those little round green things in any form?  Absolutely not.  If I have food with them in it, I'll spend HOURS if necessary picking every single one out.  Example:  Marie Callender's chicken pot pies, Campbell's Chunky Sirloin Burger Soup.

I went to a local old school Cantonese place I'd never been to a while back because I was craving egg fu yung, which I hadn't had since I was a teenager.  Got the combo with that, pork chow mein and pork fried rice.  Spent about 10 minutes picking peas out of the fried rice.  I'll eat the little carrot squares, but not the peas.  While I was picking out peas I was wondering how many Cantonese places, if you went out back and looked in the dumpster, would have many, many empty #10 cans of peas and carrots in them?

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                        Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 10/17/13 4:45 PM (permalink)
                        I love shepherd's pie but only if there's corn underneath the ground beef and mashed potatoes. No peas or carrots, thank you.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                          Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 10/17/13 6:06 PM (permalink)
                          While I really love vegetables of all kinds and even like to make them the spotlight of a meal I don't want to see them in my casseroles, pot pies or Shepherds pies.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1270
                            Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 10/17/13 10:04 PM (permalink)
                            Mmmm.. shepherd's pie.

One random memory for me is when my mom would make me a bologna sandwich with mayo on it, and I gave the bread to our dog.  (Early mayo-phobia)

What I'd really like to try, though, are the French fries that lleechef's French neighbor made (page1).  Sounds incredible.

Felix:  If you're interested, you can order Route 11 Sweet Potato Chips online.  Not too salty, and I love them. 
                            http://www.rt11.com/category/sweet-potato
                            <message edited by love2bake on Thu, 10/17/13 10:06 PM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                              Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 10/18/13 4:46 AM (permalink)
                              I LOVE shepherd's pie and it doesn't matter of they use lamb, beef or a mix of both and I'll take just about any kind of vegetable in it, though I'm partial to carrots and corn.  I was in a British provisions shop in NYC recently and I was speaking to the owner and a customer about all of the foods they have in the store and their neighboring restaurant.  I mentioned my love of shepherd's pie and the customer said she couldn't stand it as it was a dish her family served when they had little else and for her, it was a reminder of those times.  To me, it's a somewhat "exotic" dish (for lack of a better word) as I didn't know of its existence growing up.  The same dish, but two completely different experiences with it and viewpoints on it. 

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                                Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 10/18/13 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                love2bake

Mmmm.. shepherd's pie.

One random memory for me is when my mom would make me a bologna sandwich with mayo on it, and I gave the bread to our dog.  (Early mayo-phobia)

What I'd really like to try, though, are the French fries that lleechef's French neighbor made (page1).  Sounds incredible.

Felix:  If you're interested, you can order Route 11 Sweet Potato Chips online.  Not too salty, and I love them. 
                                http://www.rt11.com/category/sweet-potato

From the 1st page..Lisa's post

When I lived in France my neighbor, Christienne, made the best, best, best French fries I ever ate in my life.  I'm not a fan of fries, but hers were spectacular.  She used potatoes from her garden (don't know what kind) and cooked them in a mixture of pork lard and oil that had been seasoned with garlic, thyme and bay leaf. 
                                Also Maroilles tartine which is French bread topped with Maroilles cheese and put under the broiler.  Then you spread the whole thing with farm butter. 

Lisa, in todays world we could use Duck fat....that would be French.........L2B, as you see, no one was counting points on Weight Watchers in that French Neighborhood..........

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                                  Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 10/18/13 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                  Bill
                                  We saved the duck fat for confit de canard!  My French friends certainly were not counting calories!! 

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1270
                                    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 10/18/13 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                    pnwchef

Lisa, in todays world we could use Duck fat....that would be French.........L2B, as you see, no one was counting points on Weight Watchers in that French Neighborhood..........

True!  My understanding also is that the French food portions are more moderate than Americans typically expect, so worrying about weight/counting points may be completely unnecessary for them, no matter how rich their food is. 

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 10/18/13 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                      AGAIN......

POINTS WE NEED NO STINKING POINTS!!!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
                                        Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Fri, 10/18/13 6:47 PM (permalink)
                                        Yes to points. Exercise & fitness as well.

<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 10/18/13 6:53 PM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                          Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Tue, 10/22/13 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                          Everyone carrying a cell phone/camera has forced most eateries to focus a little more on presentation. 

The notable exception to this is Five Guys. 

Davebassman

• Total Posts: 116
                                            Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Tue, 10/22/13 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                            drummagick

lleechef

I read an article somewhere (could it have been in Gourmet?) that cooking fries in horse fat makes just about the best fries ever.  Duck fat maybe, horse fat....I dunno.  It was an interesting article though!

I miss fries cooked in beef fat, they were SO GOOD!!  I try to explain to my kids how much better fries were when I was a teenager and as soon as I mention beef fat, they're all "OH GROSS!!!"  lol

In my hometown, Newport News, VA, there have been for many years, a series of Greek-run steakhouses, Sam & Steves, Spiro & Phils, etc. Really good burgers, steaks, chops, but the thing I loved the most about these places was the french fries cooked in steak drippings! They were the best fries I have ever tasted and haven't found them anywhere else. 

WarToad

Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Tue, 10/22/13 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                              drummagick

I read an article somewhere (could it have been in Gourmet?) that cooking fries in horse fat makes just about the best fries ever.  Duck fat maybe, horse fat....I dunno. 

I've had horse quite a few times when I lived in Asia.  It's a very lean meat (Like bison, venison) getting enough quantity of fat to render down would be quite a task.

drummagick

Years ago I ate at an upscale steakhouse in downtown Seattle.  Besides a fantastic aged ribeye, the highlight was big thick steak fries deep fried in beef fat.  They were just drop dead delicious.  Your basic vege/canola oil is a pale shadow against fries cooked in beef or duck fat.
                                              <message edited by WarToad on Tue, 10/22/13 1:18 PM>

courtneybranton

• Total Posts: 2
                                                Re:Random Food Related Thoughts Thu, 11/7/13 2:55 AM (permalink)
                                                I've been wanting to try making a Russian salad. But I don't know if anybody outside Russia of course, have tried it. Anyone?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                  Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 84 of 84

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com