Another Ohio-Indiana Trip

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
2013/08/04 00:57:34 (permalink)

Another Ohio-Indiana Trip

I say another because I go to those states more than any other due to the number of friends and my wife's relatives that are there and have posted one or two reports on those trips in the past. But I hit some new places this time.

Actually, after heading west from Philly on the PA Turnpike, we almost always start and/or finish our trips to the Midwest at the Summit Diner, just of the Somerset exit, about an hour east of Pittsburgh.

They butcher their own meat and make their own sausage at the Summit Diner. These patties were fantastic (also, notice the pattern on the table):

They also carry a large pie selection. I went with banana and was glad I did:

We weren't sure what we'd do for dinner in central Ohio, but I had a sudden craving for Cincinnati chili and we found a Skyline Chili that wasn't that long of a drive from the highway either in or just outside of Columbus, OH:

I went with a couple hot dogs and preferred the one without cheese. The chili and salad are my wife's.

As we were heading to the Skyline, we noticed a Graeter's Ice Cream parlor a few blocks before we reached our destination. So we went back there for dessert. My wife had black-cherry chip and I had chocolate chip:

Our first full day in Bloomington, IN started with a late breakfast at a popular deli in the heart of downtown Bloomington:

They're known for their huge pancakes. I ordered a single and was full by the time I finished it, along with only a single scrambled egg. It wasn't only huge. It was also a very good pancake; light and fluffy. My wife had a veggie burger (you're probably seeing a pattern here) with very good fries.

Later that afternoon, we went to a little burger place called Hinkle's that I went to the first time I was in that area around seven or eight years ago. I don't remember the burger making a huge impression on me the first time I visited the place, but that was during the height of lunch hour and I was a little annoyed by some unpleasant service. This time around, we were there well after lunch hour and the people working there were extremely pleasant. Most importantly, the burger was one of the best I've ever had. I ordered the double cheeseburger. It was a mess, but a very enjoyable mess. They also had pie and we ordered a slice of sugar cream to go. I thought it was a bit too dense. It may have been better if I had warmed it up a bit.

You can see how loosely packed the burgers are. They come with steamed onions and pickles.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/08/04 00:59:31

32 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1