How I ate my summer vacation

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5165
2013/08/11 17:01:39 (permalink)

How I ate my summer vacation

Since all my expected traveling is done for the summer I've decided to do a single summary thread instead of breaking meals and places into specific subforums, although it's not really a trip report as it doesn't have the local color of reports by people like Buffetbuster and Wanderingjew.

Every year I take a trip to Ohio and it's always been the last weekend of August, but this year we changed things up a bit and it wound up being in mid-July.  I left home on Wednesday the 10th with my sights set on Commiskey, Indiana, where Lurton's Country Cafe can be found.  Mlinkinhoker has mentioned it several times here and I'd also heard about it from someone on a different board, so I figured it was worth a stop.  Commiskey itself is pretty small and Lurton's isn't much to look at from the outside.

The interior is functional and not at all fancy; some people might be put off by this but not me.  Note the menu board.

The semi-open kitchen is behind the tall counter (no seating that I could see).

It's true - Lurton's has Elvis memorabilia everywhere!

I hadn't eaten anything since waking up 7 hours earlier so I decided that a beef manhattan was just the thing with which to refuel.

Real roast beef, real beef gravy, and real mashed potatoes was just what I needed!  This was a great sandwich, filling and flavorful, and even better was that it was prepared by some really nice people.  I couldn't have had a better lunch!

After eating and chatting at Lurton's (the woman in charge and I had an interesting conversation about vintage camera equipment) it was on to my next destination: Clifty Falls State Park and the Clifty Inn, just outside of Madison.  I had hoped to spend a couple of hours hiking the trails but it had rained quite a bit that day and the day before, and they were just too wet so I had to walk the paved roads instead.

The original inn was destroyed by a 1974 tornado (the same system that spawned the one that hit Xenia, Ohio?) so the current structure is less than 40 years old, and much more modern than its siblings.  Still, it doesn't feel too hotel-ish.

This commemorative plaque is affixed to a boulder at the rear of the buildings.

Additionally, there's a nice historical vignette outside the main doors.  The older gentleman at the lower right was the inn manager in the 1940s and apparently the inn's chicken dinners were so popular he had to go out daily to find and procure chickens for the nightly menu.  I found it interesting that the caption didn't explicitly say he bought them, only that he acquired them.  Hmmm.

I guess if you have "Falls" in your name a mini-waterfall is appropriate.

The dining room.  As it was Wednesday it didn't get very busy.

Dinners start with warm biscuits lightly dusted with sugar and cinnamon, and served with a flavored butter (I think it was either apple or honey, but I didn't use it and can't remember).  Ordinarily I'm not big on sweet things but the biscuit had just the right amount of sugar and was quite good.

When in Indiana one orders a BPT, and here's the inn's version.  It was on the thin side but tasted fine.

This was one of those rare occasions when I had a taste for dessert, so after weighing my options I ordered...the 2-piece chicken dinner.

My pleasant and efficient server Nancy had recommended both the BPT and the chicken, and I was not led astray.  The chicken had a thin, somewhat salty crust in the Indiana tradition and was the perfect end to the meal.  I was kind of surprised that my potatoes came with brown and not chicken gravy, but certainly that was nothing to quibble about.

After dinner I returned to my room, watched a little baseball on TV, and called it a night fairly early, as I had a busy day coming up.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/08/11 17:13:06

36 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1