Hot!Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
2013/08/20 10:34:47 (permalink)

Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj

Let the burger wars begin here. Smashburger opens here tomorrow, joining our 5 Guys. I like 5 Guys, and love their fries. Never had a smashburger, but googled some info. Their fries look generic. Are they? How do their burgers compare? I like the topping choices at 5 Guys, and load mine up. Their rolls are their weakest point. It seems Smashburger gives you roll choice. Smashburger also serves beer and malts. We had a cheeburger,cheeburger that recently closed. 5 Guys reigned supreme.
    I'll give Smashburger (and its new Jersey Burger) a chance....but I'm not too excited. People who've tried both, any thing worth looking forward to here?

39 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 11:08:03 (permalink)
    lleechef and I tried Smashburger when it opened here a while back. We both agreed that it's a mini-step up from McDonald's. It's the same thin meat patty cooked till dry. I don't recall what toppings we each had on our burger, but that's likely because they were not memorable. As to the fries, we got the Smashfries, "Tossed with rosemary, olive oil and garlic." While we did see specks of green, which might have been rosemary, we were unable to detect any garlic or olive oil. Basically, the fries were tasteless sticks of thawed potato.
    Tumbleweed365
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 11:14:54 (permalink)
    We have both and I'll take 5 Guys over Smashburger any day of the week.
    I wish 5 Guys would grill their onions more than a few seconds, but love
    Their Cajun fries !
    post edited by Tumbleweed365 - 2013/08/20 11:17:08
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 12:10:55 (permalink)
    I'll take Elevation Burger over both.

They are another one out of the DC area like Five Guys and growing.

Elevation Burger
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 14:03:17 (permalink)
    Davydd

I'll take Elevation Burger over both.

They are another one out of the DC area like Five Guys and growing.

Elevation Burger

Janet and I just tried our first Elevation Burger 2 days ago.  It was at the National Harbor complex on the Potomac River near Oxon Hill, MD.  It seemed a bit similar to Shake Shack.  Pretty good burger, but a wet bun for some reason.  Same deal at Shake Shack .... wet buns.  ... like it was out in the morning dew or something.   Anyway, it was pretty tasty, overall, but we still prefer Five Guys.  Both are better than the Smashburger we tried down near Miami.  We'll give Smashburger another try sometime.   The first and only time we tried Smashburger, they got the order really wrong.  That was likely the fault of individual employee, so we're not comdemning Samshburger, as a whole, for that mistake.  We'll try 'em again. 

Glenn

Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 14:12:24 (permalink)
    I had my first Elevation Burger at National Harbor. My photo comes from a Fairfax, VA location. My first Five Guys burger was in Fairfax also. They are now in the Twin Cities as is Smashburger. In fact you can also find Five Guys now on the Alaska Highway in Canada.

I don't think Whataburger can be found outside of Texas. I'd put them in the mix.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 14:42:03 (permalink)
    Davydd

I had my first Elevation Burger at National Harbor. My photo comes from a Fairfax, VA location. My first Five Guys burger was in Fairfax also. They are now in the Twin Cities as is Smashburger. In fact you can also find Five Guys now on the Alaska Highway in Canada.

I don't think Whataburger can be found outside of Texas. I'd put them in the mix.

We actually live much closer to the Fairfax location than the National Harbor location.  We had not known Elevation Burger was even in the area, and we stumbled upon the one at National Harbor while looking for another restaurant.   We'll go to Elevatian Burger again, as a change up from Five Guys.    Five Guys are , of course, "everywhere" in the north VA area, which is home of Five Guys.  The Guys are still our favorite, but an occaisional change is nice, and Elevation was pretty good.   

We recently got a "Burger Fi" in the area, as well (Leesburg, VA).  Tried them once.  Order was royally screwed up, as it was with Smashburger .... (sigh).  We'll try both Burger Fi and Smashburger again some time to get a more fair taste.   

Glenn

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 15:38:32 (permalink)
    The thing about Smashburger you have to realize is that they are franchised. More importantly, each franchisee is allowed to create his own menu items along with the standard ones. A lot of the locations create local-specific specialties. That also has to do a lot with the quality of the locations. Here in Orange County, Smashburger is my favorite. Their garlic sweet potato fries are awesome, the specialty burgers like the OC Burger are delicious and the quality is definitely there. Nice, juicy patties. with the smashing helping to create a delicious crust. I'd definitely give it a try---if the owner is good, you'll really enjoy the food there.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 16:06:47 (permalink)
    Here's a couple pics from one of my smash burger visits.

The OC burger with sweet potato fries

Mushroom onion and Swiss burger

I'm getting hungry now!

ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1600
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 16:07:35 (permalink)
    I'll just re-post here what I wrote in another thread about Smashburger after our visit in March. Bottom line, we still like 5 Guys the best of the up-market burger chains that have invaded NJ over the last few years. .

(clip) My wife & I went to Smashburger a couple of times when one opened in Montclair NJ a couple of years ago. The first time it was great, the second time, a few months later, was not so good. The burger was noticeably greasier and less tasty than the first time, like they were using a cheaper grade of meat. That was that.

Until today. They recently opened a branch a lot closer, in Springfield/New Providence, only about 10 minutes away. We went for lunch . This time is was sort of in the middle, OK, but not as good as Five Guys, which we can practically walk to.

And the noise level was as loud as I think I have ever heard it in a restuarant. OK, it was wetly snowing, and many Moms and/or Dads needed to get thier kids out of the house. I get it, we raised two noisy kids ourselves, and usually noise level doesn't bother us. But the accoustics were just awful, it seemed to raise the decibel level rather than quiet it. We decided that was the idea, to get everyone in and out as quickly as possible. It worked, except we're never going back.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 19:01:48 (permalink)
    EdSails

Here's a couple pics from one of my smash burger visits.

The OC burger with sweet potato fries

Mushroom onion and Swiss burger

I'm getting hungry now!

Ed - 

It has been a year since trying the Smashburger in Miami, so I don't recall all the details except they screwed up the order.  Do all the locations use red onion and that lawn clipping stuff (arugula??) now.  What is pictured on your burger would be a deal-breaker for Janet and me.  We wouldn't return if all SmashBurgers locations are like that.    A huge pet peeve of mine and Janet's is the recent fad of burger places trying to foofoo-ify their burgers with toppings that just don't seem to go well on a burger.  Things like red onions, arugula, "gourmet pickles", and big fat bready brioche buns.   

To us, a burger is best with good 'ol white/yellow onions, crisp and cool iceberg lettuce, dill or kosher dill pickle slices, and a simple bun that is not heavy and does not overwhelm the rest of the burger.    That was a welcome surprise at Elevation burger that they kept it simple.  Light bun, white/yellow onion, dill/kosher dill pickle, and a cool crisp piece of iceberg lettuce.     

Don't even get me started on the use of Kobe beef for burgers! 

Sometimes, simple is better, especially for burgers.  ... At least in our opinion.  ;)

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/20 19:02:51
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 19:16:11 (permalink)
    Here is another photo of the Classic Smashburger. I guess I didn't find anything exceptional about them.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 19:32:37 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

Ed - 

It has been a year since trying the Smashburger in Miami, so I don't recall all the details except they screwed up the order.  Do all the locations use red onion and that lawn clipping stuff (arugula??) now.  What is pictured on your burger would be a deal-breaker for Janet and me.  We wouldn't return if all SmashBurgers locations are like that.    A huge pet peeve of mine and Janet's is the recent fad of burger places trying to foofoo-ify their burgers with toppings that just don't seem to go well on a burger.  Things like red onions, arugula, "gourmet pickles", and big fat bready brioche buns.   

To us, a burger is best with good 'ol white/yellow onions, crisp and cool iceberg lettuce, dill or kosher dill pickle slices, and a simple bun that is not heavy and does not overwhelm the rest of the burger.    That was a welcome surprise at Elevation burger that they kept it simple.  Light bun, white/yellow onion, dill/kosher dill pickle, and a cool crisp piece of iceberg lettuce.     

Don't even get me started on the use of Kobe beef for burgers! 

Sometimes, simple is better, especially for burgers.  ... At least in our opinion.  ;)

Glenn

Glenn,

That's one of the things about Smashburger----they do burgers based on the likes of the area. Your area's burgers might be very different than mine. BTW, I like the arugula better than iceberg lettuce, but that's just me. I also like red onion as much as yellow or white so I am happy with any onions.
    As far as your comment about a burger being better if it's simple, generally I agree with you. At home, I'm strictly a ketchup, mustard, onion and pickle guy. No Kobe---that is nowhere near as good as 80/20 ground chuck hand shaped into a big patty and thrown onto my grill. 
    That's the difference for me----out, I find it interesting to try different burgers, especially styles I wouldn't do at home. Although at In-n-Out I'll always get animal style with both grilled and white onions. I have recently found a place called Jerry's Woodfired Dogs. The dogs are really good, but I find myself usually getting their big, juicy wood grilled burger. The toppings? Ketchup, mustard, yellow onion and pickle. Sometimes that really is perfection for a burger.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 19:43:48 (permalink)
    In New Jersey...I like Steak 'n Shake Signature in NYC. There's one in Paramus...but NYC is much closer than Paramus.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 21:43:46 (permalink)
    Ed, they have a localized version at the Smashburger here, but we just wanted to try something standard. I don't recall all the details, but I do remember getting grilled onions and some sauce. It was flat-out terrible. The fries were very unremarkable. No, they were kind of lousy. Oh, and the buns fell apart making it very difficult to eat the burgers.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 22:40:01 (permalink)
    I mentioned on another thread that I love Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steak burgers. They have thin patties with extended edges like you see at some Midwestern places, small fries that are similar to what you get at Steak 'n Shake, and good real frozen custard. But the one in the Philly burbs is the only Freddy's in the eastern part of the country the last time I checked.
    A lot of these chains that have been mentioned are also expanding into Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs. I'll definitely be trying BurgerFi as one is opening around the corner from my office in October.

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/20 23:05:38 (permalink)
    Ed -

I agree on the 80/20 chuck.  Hard to beat.  
    When I go to a new (new to me) burger place for the first time, I always get the same basic burger to do a fair comparison of how good their basic burger is compared to another place's basic burger.  Same thing with pizzas.  I always get a basic sauce and cheese for comparison on a first visit. 

On future visits, I might get specialty burgers with bacon, etc..   But, my basic "test burger" is with lettuce, raw onion, pickles, and light amount of ketchup and mustard.  (I usually get it without ketchup and mustard, and add my own light amount of those.   Too much mustard added by the burger place, and that's all I taste is the mustard, ... so I don't have them add it.)    Yes, the basic burger test is semi-scientific.  LOL!  

Come to think about it, my basic test burger is almost as fancy as I get them.  I  might add bacon and cheese to the above toppings,  but not much else.  No chili, no mayo, no thousand island, etc.    

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/20 23:11:05
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8061
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 00:45:12 (permalink)
    Hmmmm

I noticed a Smashburger has opened in Culver City.  From EdSail's and David's pictures... I need to try it no matter how it tastes.

(I happen to be a fan of flat burgers)
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2434
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 01:14:42 (permalink)
    I've been to Five Guys numerous times in NYC and loved it each time though I haven't been in a about a month or so.  The one on my street just two blocks from me mysteriously closed without warning while I was away in New Mexico.  Do love those fresh cut fries, which should be eaten right away as they don't get better steaming in the bag while you travel!  And I love their burgers, despite well-done being the only option.  They do remain juicy since they are cooked in their own fat/juices on a flat top instead of an open flame grill.

Davyd, we did see some Whataburger locations (in addition to Blake's Lotaburger) in Albuquerque. 

CC, I like the Steak 'n Shake NYC location right near the Ed Sullivan Theatre.  I used to work a few blocks away so I'd stop in for dinner before work once in a while.  The only burger I've ever tried there is the Frisco Melt, which is a buttery, juicy mess and I love it.  The fries are alright but I can take them or leave them depending on my mood.  I do enjoy their shakes and the prices are pretty reasonable, especially for that area of NYC.

Glenn1234, I've always had a great experience at various Shake Shack locations, though the only ones I've tried are the locations in NYC.  Not sure if quality drops off further away from the point of origin.  Every time I have walked out after a meal I always felt completely satisfied and thoroughly impressed with the food and the service.  I'd say the weak link in that chain would be their use of frozen fries but I'm told that it's more of a quality control thing (frozen ones fry up more consistently) and the Shack just announced that they are serving fresh cut fries in their Upper East Side location (NYC) and if they do well they'll start rolling them out to other locations with the goal of having every location with fresh cuts! 

There is a Smashburger in Brooklyn so I think I'll have to cross the East Rivere to check it out. 

There was an Elevation Burger in the West Village but they seemed to have closed.  Why am I looking at this thread right now?  I am totally craving a burger!!! 
    post edited by billyboy - 2013/08/21 07:24:22
    rneiner
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 07:29:02 (permalink)
    I have not tried Five Guys or Smashburger yet but give me a steak burger from Steak n Shake any day.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4191
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 10:54:03 (permalink)
    In an ideal world, Five Guys would "adopt" Smashburger's "presentation" for their dine-in clientele.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 11:20:48 (permalink)
    Elevation Burger had goals to open 20 locations throughout NYC. I'm sure those plans have been somewhat grounded based on the reviews of the West Village Elevation Burger a few years ago.

There's a Smashburger in Terminal C @ Newark Airport.
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 483
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 12:55:56 (permalink)
    mar52

Hmmmm

I noticed a Smashburger has opened in Culver City.  From EdSail's and David's pictures... I need to try it no matter how it tastes.

(I happen to be a fan of flat burgers)

Last year a Smash burger opened up about a mile from us and they are AWESOME!!!  
    Fresh, BIG and puts most all others to shame.
    The one by us is crowded every single day of the week.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/21 14:48:05 (permalink)
    Davydd

Whattaburgers may be found in: AZ, NM, TX, LA, AR, OK, MS, AL, GA & FL.

Another Texas-based burger chain, Mooyah, has also been metastasizing like crazy ( www.mooyah.com ).  They are opening in Bahrain, Kuwait, Dubai, and Qatar! 

Their original "business plan" was to totally "rip-off" Five Guys before the Guys got around to expanding into Texas.  Their first store in Plano was a Five Guys with a different sign - right down to the store layout, color scheme, menu, fries, bulletin board, and 'free' peanuts-in-the-shell; even their web-site was identical!  I wrote Jerry about this and he got his lawyers after them, but even now - six years later - you'd swear you were in a peanut-less, milkshake-serving Five Guys.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/08/21 14:51:54
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/22 16:20:26 (permalink)
    Mooyah sounds like McDowell's from Coming to America...
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/23 10:35:50 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Mooyah sounds like McDowell's from Coming to America...

Exactly!

But, sadly, their brazen theft of intellectual property is evidently paying off. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/27 09:10:52 (permalink)
    And, I'm not the only one that has noticed that Mooyah is a direct rip off of Five Guys:

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/08/27 14:40:28 (permalink)
    Well, I finally got to the new Brick Smashburger...and boy, what most of you told me here is right. It is not even close to 5 Guys.Yes, presentation is better, and the roll is a bit bigger, and takes longer before it becomes a soggy mess,,,,,,,BUT...fries were terrible...small shoestring jobs with a little drizzle of oil and rosemary(very little)...tasted a piece of meat with no topping:little taste. Had the truffle mushroom swiss: Nothing special and I prefer 5 guys free toppings many of which Smashburger charges extra for...like grilled mushrooms!!!!! Our 5 guys has those new coke machines where you can blend your own, and I need sugar free and 5 guys machine lets you make dozens of sugar free blends...Smashburger: Diet Coke, that's it! I would have liked Arugala on my Mushroom burger,didn't have it on mine,,,,,,Oh and I sure missed the peanuts. Winner by a LARGE margin: 5 Guys!!!!!
    malibumike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/09/20 13:26:12 (permalink)
    Out here in Southern California at least, Smashburger is so much better than 5 guys there is no way to describe it. And to compare it to McDees is a joke, maybe because of different franchiees???
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Smashburger joining 5 Guys in Brick nj 2013/09/20 13:51:05 (permalink)
    leethebard

Well, I finally got to the new Brick Smashburger...and boy, what most of you told me here is right. It is not even close to 5 Guys.Yes, presentation is better, and the roll is a bit bigger, and takes longer before it becomes a soggy mess,,,,,,,BUT...fries were terrible...small shoestring jobs with a little drizzle of oil and rosemary(very little)...tasted a piece of meat with no topping:little taste. Had the truffle mushroom swiss: Nothing special and I prefer 5 guys free toppings many of which Smashburger charges extra for...like grilled mushrooms!!!!! Our 5 guys has those new coke machines where you can blend your own, and I need sugar free and 5 guys machine lets you make dozens of sugar free blends...Smashburger: Diet Coke, that's it! I would have liked Arugala on my Mushroom burger,didn't have it on mine,,,,,,Oh and I sure missed the peanuts. Winner by a LARGE margin: 5 Guys!!!!!

You have hit the nail directly on the head with a mighty SMASH!

My first visit to a SmashBorger was duing a "grand opening".  It was good, and I as taken by the presentation vis a vis Five Guys.  Our one subesquent visit was exactly as you describe; the Princess liked the presentation but even she prefers Five Guys!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1