Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf

Author
Green_Chile
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
2004/03/27 03:46:21 (permalink)

Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf

Ok I wasn't sure whether I should put this in recipes or here...I think it's best here though. So I was jonesin' for a nice sub tonight and wanted to try a "dressier" version than I usually make or find avaliable locally. Me being a late riser...I wasn't going to find a decent sandwich shop open anyway and decided on homemade. First off, I immediatly knew my main problem was going to be finding decent bread. Decent sub bread and me seem to be polar opposites as I have yet to find anything "just right". Walmart here has some ok italian bread, but with an easy 6 or 7 inch mid span it's hardly suitable for a proper sub...french bread anywhere around here has the same potbelly problems. Both of these styles always seem to lack in a nice crust as well....I mean a teaspoon or 2 of oil/vinegar sub dressing should never make for a sandwich which seems to have resided in the fridge for a few days, but I digress. I finally found a semi-decent loaf at the local grocer, called "parisian bread" which had a nice crust, a daintly 3-1/2 inch wide uniform width, nice 24 inch length, and a price tag to break the bank...it turned out to be alright with a 5 second nuke. Finally, the dressing. Now that I've become fed up with the old stand-by oil and vinegar splashes and the cheating, "just use some italian salad dressing" sandwich suggestions, I decided to find a Submarine Sandwich Dressing recipe. No easy task let me tell you, moving past the premade buy online or at the store versions, I scoured for hours to find what I thought to be a proper mix. I found 3 recipes in that time. Also actually found some sub dressing as I read was recommended, at the deli counter at my grocer...2.99 sale price reg price 3.99 for 8 oz " />. Ok so being a frugal person CoughcheapCough I read the ingredients and compared them to the recipes I had found online...and came up with this:

Submarine Dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used soybean...evoo probably nice too)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 red pepper flakes (I removed the seeds)
1/4 teaspoon dried onion flakes (rehydrated if using within 2 hours)
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon dried minced garlic (rehydrated if using within 2 hours)
1/16 teaspoon celery salt
salt and pepper to taste, stir well or put in jar and shake.....refrigerate overnight for flavor to develop

I used mine after a short 2 hours in the fridge and it was fantastic bet it's really kick butt tomorrow

On a last note does anyone...anyone have a good recipe for a nice sub/italian sandwich bread loaf? I have an electric oven but I do own a nice pizza stone if that helps.

Yowsa didn't realize how long this was...promise to keep the next sandwich post down to a lean 12 or 8 inch sub if I can get a nice bread recipe

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1