The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 64
wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
  • Roadfood Insider
Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sat, 08/24/13 8:00 AM (permalink)
Yes! Eastern CT- that includes the area between Old Saybrook and Stonington and up to the Norwich and Colchester area...
The Boston Roadfooders have all agreed to this Roadfood gathering next month. 
So far we do not have a specific agenda except for Ayersian's request for Buttonwood Farm Ice Cream in Griswold.   

Everyone's invited!

So far in Attendance are
Yours Truly and Sandra
Bethgrd
Paulde  and daughter Kim
Karilyn
Mr and Ms Ayersian
Yvel  (Ayersian's Friend)
WaltpIII

We'll be firming up the itinerary over the next couple of weeks.

Please post here if interest in attending

<message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 09/19/13 8:42 AM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sat, 08/24/13 9:11 AM (permalink)
    I'm still out west helping mom with her broken hip ... seems like a good excuse to visit my homeland.  Can't promise though.  I miss you guys.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
      Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sat, 08/24/13 10:15 AM (permalink)
      wheregreggeats,

Hope you can make it- Let us know!

ayersian

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sat, 08/24/13 12:13 PM (permalink)
        I've never been to Kitchen Little before -- that's a great idea!    Chris

paulde

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sat, 08/24/13 2:07 PM (permalink)
          Always wanted to try the roasted clams at THE PLACE in Guilford.  I know this is about 15 miles west of our proposed area but may be worth the drive.  FLANDERS FISH HOUSE in East Lyme.  I have been once with Kim about 5 years ago.  There is an Artisen baker in Woodstock SOLEIL & SUNS. Kim says some of their stuff is very good.  Kim will most likely be joining us at some point.

Paul

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 11:20 AM (permalink)
            We'll devise an itinerary over the next week or two. 

We were hoping we could to some non "roadfoody" things too- perhaps a walk around Mystic or Ocean Beach in New London.

There are lots of great finds that aren't on roadfood that Sandra and I have been too.
            One of my favorites- Ford's Lobster in Noank has a lobster roll that you have to see to believe.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 11:20 AM (permalink)
              We'll devise an itinerary over the next week or two. 

We were hoping we could to some non "roadfoody" things too- perhaps a walk around Mystic or Ocean Beach in New London.

There are lots of great finds that aren't on roadfood that Sandra and I have been too.
              One of my favorites- Ford's Lobster in Noank has a lobster roll that you have to see to believe.

karilyn

• Total Posts: 141
                Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 5:12 PM (permalink)
                Two non-food related activity suggestions.

www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325204&depNav_GID=1650  Gillette Castle State Park in East Haddam

www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1390&Q=499780   Chester/ Hadlyme Ferry down the road from Gillette Castle

The best part about taking my kids to camp in Chester CT each summer was spending time at Gillette Castle State Park and then crossing the river by ferry!  Lyme is a few miles from the Ferry.  

Looking forward to a great CT adventure!!!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                  Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 7:17 PM (permalink)
                  Hope to make this one as it sounds great.  Sept. is shaping up to be a busy month visiting family, a friend's wedding and a Depeche Mode concert at Jones Beach.  Is anyone going up from NYC by chance?  I'd be willing to split gas and tolls!  

Or...is anyone passing through New Haven?  I could hitch a ride to there on the Metro North from Grand Central.  

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 7:34 PM (permalink)
                    billyboy

Hope to make this one as it sounds great.  Sept. is shaping up to be a busy month visiting family, a friend's wedding and a Depeche Mode concert at Jones Beach.  Is anyone going up from NYC by chance?  I'd be willing to split gas and tolls!  

Or...is anyone passing through New Haven?  I could hitch a ride to there on the Metro North from Grand Central.  

Billyboy

Greyhound does go to New London from NYC- it's $42 rt with an advance purchase web ticket, if you are unable to obtain another viable source of transportation

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                      Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 7:39 PM (permalink)
                      Good to know, WJ.  Thanks!  Any ballpark idea of when the tour will start & end that day?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
                        Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                        I envy those of you who'll be going to Flanders Fish Market, but a visit to The Shack just up the street would be a marvelous treat. By the way, if anyone does visit Gillette Castle, watch out for the copperheads.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sun, 08/25/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                          billyboy

Good to know, WJ.  Thanks!  Any ballpark idea of when the tour will start & end that day?

Considering Karilyn wants to go to Branford  (Sandra calls that "New York") and Paulde wants to go to Woodstock- oh about 2 days..... If we can limit the radius of where we go- I'm thinking we begin about 8:30 am at Muddy Waters in New London as a meeting point ....I'm thinking just based on the Worcester tour last year this will likely conclude at around 6pm, give or take, especially if we allow some sightseeing in between. Karilyn's suggestion of Gillete Casle is a good one- Sandra and I have been there.

buffetbuster

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Mon, 08/26/13 8:29 AM (permalink)
                            Would have loved to join all of you, but I already have plans to be in Kansas City that weekend.  I will think of all of you while I am hip deep in burnt ends and Stroud's fried chicken! 

Have a great time!

KarenZ

• Total Posts: 5
                              Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Mon, 08/26/13 11:31 PM (permalink)
                              There's also Shoreline East train service from NH to NL. Always prefer a train to a bus.

I've never joined one of these. Do you share things? Am not far and know the area well, but have not had opportunity to go to all the good stuff.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 08/27/13 1:01 AM (permalink)
                                buffetbuster

Would have loved to join all of you, but I already have plans to be in Kansas City that weekend.  I will think of all of you while I am hip deep in burnt ends and Stroud's fried chicken! 

Have a great time!

whatcha gonna do in KC, BB?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 08/27/13 8:03 AM (permalink)
                                  KarenZ

Unless the schedule has changed I thought the Shoreline East does not run on weekends?
                                  -edit- I just checked- they DO now run on weekends.
                                  Yes, since we usually hit several places we usually share things so everyone can get the most out of it. Hope you can join us

Bill

Please don't stray off topic
                                  Thanks
                                  <message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 08/27/13 9:13 AM>

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                    Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 08/27/13 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                    Sure thing, boss, Mr. Benny
                                    <message edited by 1bbqboy on Tue, 08/27/13 11:38 AM>

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                      Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 08/27/13 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                      Hello all

Happens to be the date for the 10th annual NJ Hot Dog Tour this year hosted by Benzee and John Fox and Hot Dog Nation on FB
                                      If it changes to a different day let me know and I will mention on our tour
                                      Otherwise have a great day !!

Benzee

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 08/27/13 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                        Benzee

Thanks for the heads up- This date is  confirmed right now.

Have fun on the hot dog tour!

ChiTownDiner

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Mon, 09/2/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                          Lots of Roadfood action that day....NJ, KC, CT....all the heavy weights are out in force!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Mon, 09/2/13 9:01 PM (permalink)
                                            Chi Town Diner

You may find our itinerary  geared towards "lightweights" but you're welcome to join us!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Mon, 09/2/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                              Here's the  ** REVISED** Itinerary for the Southeastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza

• We Meet at Kitchen Little for breakfast in Mystic at 9:00 AM
                                              •  Afterwards a late morning walk around Downtown Mystic
                                              • Kamp Dog in New London   
                                              • A stroll around Ocean Beach in New London if we are making good time
                                              • The Shack in East Lyme for Lunch (Flanders fish market is nearby for those who would prefer to there instead)
                                              • Gillette Castle after lunch
                                              • Harry's Drive In in Colchester tentative- if we're making good time)
                                              • D'Elia's Bakery and Grinder Shop in Norwich for grinders
                                              • Buttonwood Farms for Ice Cream in Griswold
                                              •  Ford's Lobster  in Noank for lobster rolls and other great seafood

The address for our initial meeting stop, Kitchen Little

Mystic River Marina
                                              36 Quarry Road Mystic CT
                                              <message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 09/12/13 10:25 AM>

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 09/3/13 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                                So far we still have

Yours Truly and Sandra
                                                Yvel
                                                Chris and Amy
                                                Paulde,( and daughter Kimberly at some point)
                                                Beth
                                                Karilyn
                                                Wheregreggeats  (maybe)

I know there are lots of other posters from New England that post all the time but never attend any Roadfood events- prove me wrong and surprise me!

buffetbuster

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 09/3/13 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                                  The place I really hate missing out on is Buttonwood Farms.  Chris took me there a few years ago for the graham cracker ice cream and it was spectacular!  Maybe the best ice cream I have ever had.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 09/3/13 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                                    Just an addendum to the itinerary:
                                                    Keep in mind that Flanders Fish Market is very close to the Shack
                                                    I don't think any of us would be insulted if part of the group wanted to split up and go there instead for lunch

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                      Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 09/3/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                                      ChiTownDiner

Lots of Roadfood action that day....NJ, KC, CT....all the heavy weights are out in force!

OKC.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Tue, 09/3/13 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        ....and OKC! 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Wed, 09/4/13 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                                          BUMP!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Eastern Connecticut Roadfood Extravaganza Saturday September 21 2013 Sat, 09/7/13 8:24 AM (permalink)
                                                            BUMP!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 64

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com