The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Roadfood and Jukebox/Pinball Memories

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 321
Roadfood and Jukebox/Pinball Memories Fri, 09/13/13 5:04 PM (permalink)
One of my great passions, besides Roadfood, is the coin-op amusements that used to be common in every roadfood-worthy joint.   I have several and almost always have one on the workbench.  The ambiance provided by the jukeboxes and pinball machines was, in the days of my youth particularly, as important to me as the food at the diner/truck stop/snack bar.   A couple of memories:  Just up the hill from my Granny’s house was a “Dairy Kone” type drive-in that did very little business, but had a terrific jukebox and a couple of pinballs.  I spent many an idle summer hour nursing a cherry Coke listening to the latest hits and trying to finally light the special before that fifth ball drained away.  I was bitterly disappointed when I arrived one summer to find it had become a real estate office.  Closer to home, we had a duckpin bowling alley in my neighborhood that had a great snack bar.  When we would tire of hurling balls at the duckpins, we would duck into the snack bar and get some dogs and fries and play the pinball machines, which were the old-school add-a-ball machines that would keep track of your additional balls, for which the cashier would surreptitiously pay you off.  Needless to say, the local government soon decided that pinball machines were actually gambling devices and imposed an 18-year age restriction, which left us out.  Ironically, the pool tables on which we gambled most of our money somehow were still on-limits to us juvenile delinquents.  Anyone else have roadfood/coin-op memories?  Does your local diner still have wallbox jukeboxes?
<message edited by Treetop Tom on Fri, 09/13/13 9:57 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com