The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Attention Midwesterners - need your help...

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sat, 09/14/13 11:27 AM (permalink)
My birthday's coming up this week and I'm having my parents mail me a bunch of foodstuffs that are easy to get in Iowa, and, in my experience, impossible to get here in Connecticut. Here's what I have so far. Please help me think of additions:

Boetje's mustard
Plochman's mustard
Sterzing's potato chips
Cookies BBQ sauce
Open Pit BBQ sauce
Salerno butter cookies

I haven't found any of these at my local Stop 'n' Shop, Price Chopper, or Wal-Mart. Perishables are out, otherwise I'd have them send me a ton of Wisconsin cheese curds, a pork chop from the Iowa Machine Shed, and a rack from Jim's Rib Haven in Rock Island.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
    Re:Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sat, 09/14/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
    Sorry, can't help you but I do have a story about receiving a package from Iowa.  I was living in Alaska and my former MIL decided to send me a pheasant.  She put it in a Zip-Lock bag, stuck that into a manila envelope and sent it regular mail!!!  Needless to say, when it arrived in Anchorage a week later, it was WELL AGED!!!!! 
    Happy Birthday!
    <message edited by lleechef on Sat, 09/14/13 12:45 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
      Re:Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sat, 09/14/13 9:00 PM (permalink)
      Good call on the Boetje's - it's an excellent mustard.

My local grocery store often has a display of unrefrigerated sausage and I recall receiving summer sausage and the like in care packages from home when I was in school, so that might be an option.

How about some Ken Davis to go along with the Cookie's?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4082
        Re:Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sat, 09/14/13 11:05 PM (permalink)
        Ken Davis' sauce is from Minneapolis.  Does that qualify as "Midwest"?  I guess it's just a couple hundred miles or so, south on I-35.

Buddy

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
          Re:Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sun, 09/15/13 3:46 AM (permalink)
          lleechef

Sorry, can't help you but I do have a story about receiving a package from Iowa.  I was living in Alaska and my former MIL decided to send me a pheasant.  She put it in a Zip-Lock bag, stuck that into a manila envelope and sent it regular mail!!!  Needless to say, when it arrived in Anchorage a week later, it was WELL AGED!!!!! 
          Happy Birthday!

Maybe as a "Former" MIL, she was sending you a message!

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
            Re:Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sun, 09/15/13 8:23 AM (permalink)
            Thanks for the bday wishes lleechef! 

I'm not even sure if I've had Ken Davis sauce but I'll add it to the list.  I just talked to my folks and they claim that they can't find Sterzing's in their area (Quad-Cities), which is B.S., I got them at a Hy-Vee in Davenport when I was there last year.  :(  I guess I could always order from the company website, though their smallest size is two pounds and I don't think I need quite that many chips!  Though I could share at the office...

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
              Re:Attention Midwesterners - need your help... Sun, 09/15/13 9:14 AM (permalink)
              BuddyRoadhouse

Ken Davis' sauce is from Minneapolis.  Does that qualify as "Midwest"?
              Yes, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but I think of the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas as the Plains States and more of a separate entity.  And to me Ohio is more Middle Eastern.

I suspect there's a good chance that Ken Davis can be found at Hy-Vee.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com