Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Soup help

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
Soup help Wed, 03/31/04 11:09 PM (permalink)
I like home made soups. When in the mood I'll boil down a chicken for chicken salad or I'll smoke a turkey breast for sandwich meat. I'll take the left over carcass and scraps, add onion, celery and seasoning to make a stock/broth.

Once I have the stock and have de-boned it I'll add either dry noodles or rice for the soup and simmer until done.

My problem is that once it is cooked the rice or pasta will continue to absorb the stock and usually it won't leave me any broth by the time I get back to it ther next day. (refrigated overnite, OK?)

Is there any thing I can do to keep the grain from absorbing all the broth?

Thanks,

MikeS.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
    RE: Soup help Wed, 03/31/04 11:31 PM (permalink)
    Not really, unless you want to make it like my Ukranian stepfather used to do. The rice, barley or noodles was always cooked in a separate batch of highly flavored broth and then added to the soup upon serving. The cooking broth for the rice or noodles was used to wet the dog's table scraps.

After years of my PA Dutch grandmother and mother's adding the rice or noodles to the soup to cook it, I thought he was whacky until the first time I saw that golden chicken soup - so clear and beautiful. And two nights later, it would look the same because the starches were stored in the fridge separate from the broth and vegetables.

I was about 16 years old at the time and loved to cook and began to do it his way from then on.

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
      RE: Soup help Thu, 04/1/04 7:26 AM (permalink)
      I just cook the noodles or rice separately in water and then add them in near the end of the cooking process, and that works for me. We eat a lot of rice and I usually make more than we need for any given meal so I can use it in leftovers for lunches and fried rice, etc., and it works well for adding it to soups at that point. I like the idea of cooking things separately in broth though RubyRose!

marberthenad

• Total Posts: 509
        RE: Soup help Thu, 04/1/04 7:49 AM (permalink)
        Same here. I usually make a large amount, freeze some, and use up the rest over the week. That way I can use different types of pasta too. Same goes for beef soup, which I usually have to make when my roasts or steaks end up too tough!

Growing up, my mother would every once in a while make refrigerator soup, which as one could guess, is a combination of a bunch of leftovers that were otherwise uncominable. I remember liking it, but when I tried to make it for our household, nooobody liked it.

Good luck with the soup

Alexander

• Total Posts: 164
          RE: Soup help Thu, 04/1/04 7:55 AM (permalink)
          The Charleston (SC) rule is: never cook rice in a soup or stew; cook the rice separately and serve it individually in the bowls. The result - no soggy, gummy rice or absorbtion of the liquid.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Soup help Thu, 04/1/04 9:14 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Alexander

The Charleston (SC) rule is: never cook rice in a soup or stew; cook the rice separately and serve it individually in the bowls. The result - no soggy, gummy rice or absorbtion of the liquid.

I think I'll try this idea first,

Thanks gang.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com