The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Sad closing in Columbia SC

Author Message
Alexander

  • Total Posts: 164
  • Joined: 2/27/2004
  • Location: Columbia, SC
Sad closing in Columbia SC Thu, 04/1/04 9:09 AM (permalink)
I passed by Millender's BBQ here in Columbia last night and saw a "For Lease" sign on it. It being Wednesday, I couldn't tell whether they had actually closed up or not, but I will check today.

I knew that they were hunting for a buyer, since new road construction had put them on a dead end, and Mrs. Millender told me that 30 years in the business was enough, but I hoped that by some miracle they would keep on going.

So Columbia has lost a really good bbq place of a type that will never be replaced.
 
#1
    angelfood

    • Total Posts: 204
    • Joined: 12/15/2003
    • Location: Lowcountry, SC
    RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Thu, 04/1/04 9:26 AM (permalink)
    We loved Millender's. That's where we always had BBQ when visiting Columbia. A sad day indeed.
     
    #2
      dixiebrave

      • Total Posts: 57
      • Joined: 2/25/2004
      • Location: Columbia, SC
      RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Thu, 04/1/04 9:39 AM (permalink)
      I hate to see them go. My husband and I had quite a few dates at Millender's! They will be missed.
       
      #3
        Alexander

        • Total Posts: 164
        • Joined: 2/27/2004
        • Location: Columbia, SC
        RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Fri, 04/2/04 6:55 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Alexander

        I passed by Millender's BBQ here in Columbia last night and saw a "For Lease" sign on it. It being Wednesday, I couldn't tell whether they had actually closed up or not, but I will check today.

        I knew that they were hunting for a buyer, since new road construction had put them on a dead end, and Mrs. Millender told me that 30 years in the business was enough, but I hoped that by some miracle they would keep on going.

        So Columbia has lost a really good bbq place of a type that will never be replaced.



        Moderately good news. I passed by there again last night and saw cars in the parking lot, so they have not closed quite yet. They are, BTW, having a sort of fish fry on Thursday nights, with BBQ only from a menu, so that means only Friday and Saturday for real BBQ. W'll probably go there tonight (after the Irmo HS JV softball game) and try to find out more.
         
        #4
          Alexander

          • Total Posts: 164
          • Joined: 2/27/2004
          • Location: Columbia, SC
          RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Mon, 04/5/04 7:47 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Alexander

          quote:
          Originally posted by Alexander

          I passed by Millender's BBQ here in Columbia last night and saw a "For Lease" sign on it. It being Wednesday, I couldn't tell whether they had actually closed up or not, but I will check today.

          I knew that they were hunting for a buyer, since new road construction had put them on a dead end, and Mrs. Millender told me that 30 years in the business was enough, but I hoped that by some miracle they would keep on going.

          So Columbia has lost a really good bbq place of a type that will never be replaced.



          Moderately good news. I passed by there again last night and saw cars in the parking lot, so they have not closed quite yet. They are, BTW, having a sort of fish fry on Thursday nights, with BBQ only from a menu, so that means only Friday and Saturday for real BBQ. W'll probably go there tonight (after the Irmo HS JV softball game) and try to find out more.



          Went there Friday night - 8pm, kind of late. It may have been the hour, but there were very few customers. The bbq and hash were, as usual, excellent, but the riblets were overdone. I spoke to Mrs. Millender but didn't raise the issue of closing. For the present we seem to be safe.
           
          #5
            angelfood

            • Total Posts: 204
            • Joined: 12/15/2003
            • Location: Lowcountry, SC
            RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Mon, 04/5/04 9:16 AM (permalink)
            Thanks for the update. There is a clear urgency, however, to run up to Columbia soon.
             
            #6
              Alexander

              • Total Posts: 164
              • Joined: 2/27/2004
              • Location: Columbia, SC
              RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Mon, 04/26/04 7:18 AM (permalink)
              We went to Millender's Friday night and were sorely disappointed. The riblets were undercooked and tough, and the banana pudding was almost without bananas and served in very small servings. The hash was good (as usual) but the rice tasted like Uncle Ben's. The bbq was still good, but the atmosphere in the place was funereal. They are discontinuing the AYCE buffet on May 8 and will be take-out only on and after that date. Beginning to look like the end of the road, which is where they have been put by the relocation of the frontage road.

              It was kind of like attending the funeral of an old friend.
               
              #7
                angelfood

                • Total Posts: 204
                • Joined: 12/15/2003
                • Location: Lowcountry, SC
                RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Mon, 04/26/04 11:44 AM (permalink)
                That is so sad. And if they are using lesser ingredients I'm sure it's monetarily motivated, poor souls. I'm not a litigious person, but is there any legal recourse that could be taken concerning the changing of the roads. It's sad to see one of the queens of BBQ end up this way.
                 
                #8
                  Alexander

                  • Total Posts: 164
                  • Joined: 2/27/2004
                  • Location: Columbia, SC
                  RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 7:30 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by angelfood

                  That is so sad. And if they are using lesser ingredients I'm sure it's monetarily motivated, poor souls. I'm not a litigious person, but is there any legal recourse that could be taken concerning the changing of the roads. It's sad to see one of the queens of BBQ end up this way.


                  Angelfood, It's pretty much a done deal. The new road has been open about a year now, so any litigation would be moot, unless it could be related (doubtful) to lost revenues. It would be very difficult (and expensive) to prove, and I think Mrs Millender is just tired of the whole thing.
                   
                  #9
                    scbuzz

                    • Total Posts: 844
                    • Joined: 3/7/2003
                    • Location: Sumter, SC
                    RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 8:51 AM (permalink)
                    That is sad news. I always enjoyed Millenders, but I have to admit I think that their quality had been going down in recent times. I guess they knew the end was coming. And yes ... they really made a mess of the whole area with the new off-ramp. I guess Little Pigs will get all my business now !!!
                     
                    #10
                      Alexander

                      • Total Posts: 164
                      • Joined: 2/27/2004
                      • Location: Columbia, SC
                      RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 9:59 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by scbuzz

                      That is sad news. I always enjoyed Millenders, but I have to admit I think that their quality had been going down in recent times. I guess they knew the end was coming. And yes ... they really made a mess of the whole area with the new off-ramp. I guess Little Pigs will get all my business now !!!


                      My last few trips to Little Pigs didn't fill me with joy. The sauce on the tables tsted almost rancid, as if they had used old oil. They do still bring out the hog, so you can tear off pieces of whatever portion you want (including the skin).

                      Have you tried Porky D's, out on Old Two Notch Rd. at the intersection with Emmanuel Church Rd? It's a chopped bbq rather than pulled, but well smoked (witness the piles of hickory logs in the yard). Their bbq chicken is supposed to be very good, although I've never had it. Take-out only, unfortunately, although there is a concrete table out front, in case you're fainting from hunger.

                       
                      #11
                        dixiebrave

                        • Total Posts: 57
                        • Joined: 2/25/2004
                        • Location: Columbia, SC
                        RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 10:39 AM (permalink)
                        Used to spend a lot of time at Little Pigs--it's close to my house-but haven't been in a while. Last time I was there it was fine. The folks there are really nice--never charged me for my daughter until she got to be about 6 years old! I like the fact that they offer a free bag of bones for your dog if you ask! They have even given me "just picked" bones for beans, etc.
                        When we really get the CRAVING around my house, we usually make the trek to Leesville and pig out at Shealy's--love their q and even more- the fried chicken!
                        Ask for pulley bones! Yum!
                         
                        #12
                          Alexander

                          • Total Posts: 164
                          • Joined: 2/27/2004
                          • Location: Columbia, SC
                          RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 12:33 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by dixiebrave

                          Used to spend a lot of time at Little Pigs--it's close to my house-but haven't been in a while. Last time I was there it was fine. The folks there are really nice--never charged me for my daughter until she got to be about 6 years old! I like the fact that they offer a free bag of bones for your dog if you ask! They have even given me "just picked" bones for beans, etc.
                          When we really get the CRAVING around my house, we usually make the trek to Leesville and pig out at Shealy's--love their q and even more- the fried chicken!
                          Ask for pulley bones! Yum!


                          Next time you drive out to Batesburg/Leesville, turn to the right off US 1 and go to Jackie Hite's - beats Shealy's all holler. I don't particularly care for Shealy's in-house bbq, but the catered bbq is different and very good. We go to Shealy's for their chicken livers, on which my 14-year old nearly founders. The idea of All-You-Can-Eat chicken livers grosses out most of her friends. But then she likes stick pudding as well.
                           
                          #13
                            dixiebrave

                            • Total Posts: 57
                            • Joined: 2/25/2004
                            • Location: Columbia, SC
                            RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 9:25 PM (permalink)
                            I have been to Hite's (though it has been a while). Their bbq was VERY good, but I prefer the vegetables at Shealy's. Their green beans and corn are my favorites. Frankly, I like the pulley bones at Shealy's as much or more than the bbq-they are worth the drive!
                            We will have to try Hite's again soon-as I say, it has been some time...
                             
                            #14
                              Ort. Carlton.

                              • Total Posts: 3589
                              • Joined: 4/9/2003
                              • Location: Athens, GA
                              RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Wed, 04/28/04 11:45 PM (permalink)
                              Dearfolk,
                              Thank y'all so much for your posts up to here!
                              While I've never been to Millender's, I did used to go to Ray Lever's up in Blythewood some years ago. I was deeply saddened when they closed: that was some seriously good mustard-based 'cue.
                              While I've only been to Shealy's/Jackie Hite's once apiece, I have to say that the 'cue and 'cue sides are way better at Hite's than at Shealy's; Shealy's' vegetables and non-'cue sides are top-notch. It's as if do you want lots of decent food or less excellent food: each is equally good, then, at what it does.
                              The Monday liver nips at Shealy's are reportedly worth a trip from here to there in and of themselves. Folks, I gotta lose some weight... this is a trek that is waiting to be made.
                              As If On 'Cue (I've Used That One Before: Alas), Ort. Carlton in Good Old Athens, GA.
                               
                              #15
                                Alexander

                                • Total Posts: 164
                                • Joined: 2/27/2004
                                • Location: Columbia, SC
                                RE: Sad closing in Columbia SC Thu, 04/29/04 7:35 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                                Dearfolk,
                                Thank y'all so much for your posts up to here!
                                While I've never been to Millender's, I did used to go to Ray Lever's up in Blythewood some years ago. I was deeply saddened when they closed: that was some seriously good mustard-based 'cue.
                                While I've only been to Shealy's/Jackie Hite's once apiece, I have to say that the 'cue and 'cue sides are way better at Hite's than at Shealy's; Shealy's' vegetables and non-'cue sides are top-notch. It's as if do you want lots of decent food or less excellent food: each is equally good, then, at what it does.
                                The Monday liver nips at Shealy's are reportedly worth a trip from here to there in and of themselves. Folks, I gotta lose some weight... this is a trek that is waiting to be made.
                                As If On 'Cue (I've Used That One Before: Alas), Ort. Carlton in Good Old Athens, GA.


                                The Ray Lever BBQ operation was sold to someone who runs it under a different name - I don't remember the new name exactly but it's something like "Southern Barbecue." There is also another bbq joint in Blythewood (10324 Wilson Blvd (US 21) in Blythewood) called "Myers Barbecue House," which is purported to serve a Lexington-type NC bbq. Others have told me that it is very good but I haven't been to either, so I can't give a review.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                  Jump to:

                                  Current active users

                                  There are 0 members and 3 guests.

                                  Icon Legend and Permission

                                  • New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

                                  2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com