Hot!Broasted Chicken And Pie

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18272
2013/10/22 19:43:14 (permalink)

Broasted Chicken And Pie

A drive to southeast Ohio for a bit of leaf-peeping and a visit to Old Man's Cave in the Hocking Hills was on the agenda today, and just before turning off the highway to enter the area we wanted to see lleechef suggested that we grab a little lunch. It had been several years since last I'd visited Bush's Family Restaurant in the city of Logan and lleechef had never been there so that's where I headed.

It was after one o'clock when we arrived at Bush's, and there were just a couple of cars in the parking lot so the place was very uncrowded, which would not have been the case had we arrived half an hour earlier.

The specials today included grilled chicken livers, country fried steak, all-you-can eat roast beef and stuffing, and chicken and noodles. We decided to skip the specials, and lleechef ordered the Broasted chicken and some cole slaw. I try not to pass up a chance to get liver and onions, and that's what I ordered. With the liver -- beef liver -- you had a choice of fried or baked and I picked baked, with mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans with bacon.

My meal was just fine. There was nothing great about it. It was just down home good, and filling. The Broasted chicken, on the other hand, was spectacular, according to lleechef. She proclaimed it the very best she'd ever tasted, and that included the Broasted chicken she'd had at Bob's in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. /http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/671/bobs

Now here's where buffetbuster is going to hurt. The list of house-baked pies was amazing. They had blueberry, raisin, strawberry rhubarb, butterscotch, blackberry, banana cream, and many more. lleechef ordered the blackberry pie and I chose the banana cream. She loved hers, I loved mine, and the thing is, both were every bit as delicious as the pies at the vaunted Henry's of West Jefferson, Ohio. http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/544/henrys

Following lunch we headed for Old Man's Cave State Park (on Ohio 664) where lleechef wanted to see the cave, itself. The cave got its name from a recluse named Richard Rowe who lived there in the 1800s. It's really just a huge recess in the sandstone rock of the half mile gorge. I'd not been there in more than 15 years so it was fun to sort of see it through lleechef's eyes. Three of the park's main areas are Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls and Ash Cave, and they are all along the six mile long Grandma Gatewood Trail, which is part of Ohio's Buckeye Trail, as well as part of two national systems - the North Country Scenic Trail and America's Discovery Trail.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable fall day, and the food was terrific. By the way, anyone planning to hunt deer in the area during Ohio's gun season, which opens the Monday after Thanksgiving, ought to consider breakfast at Bush's. They open for hunters at 4 a.m. during the season.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2013/10/22 19:54:03

37 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1