Hot!2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10424
2013/10/23 14:12:23 (permalink)

2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas

This past weekend was the 9th Annual Roadfood Bus Tour.  We spent Friday driving around Memphis, while Saturday was dedicated to Arkansas.  Having been on all nine tours, I can say that this was the best food on a bus tour, yet!

On Wednesday, I flew into Memphis, landing around 1:00PM, with the ChiTownDiner making the airport pickup.  Since he arrived in town a few hours earlier, he was already several stops ahead.  He gave full details on his visits to Women's Exchange, Donald's Donuts and Wiles-Smith Drugs.  By the time I gathered up my luggage, walked through this very long airport and met CTD outside, it was now 1:30.  Our first lunch stop (together) was Little Tea Shop in downtown Memphis and they close at 2:00PM.  And since we had plans out of town the next few days and they are closed on weekends, this would be our only chance to eat here.  The GPS said we were 15 minutes away, but that probably didn't include all the wrong turns and doubling back it asked us to do.  Thanks to some nifty Chicago-style u-turns and a convenient case of temporary color blindness at a stop light, we arrived in front at around seven 'til.  I ran in to plead our case, while CTD parked the car.  Fortunately, no begging was necessary as they told us to sit down, enjoy and take our time.  They are really nice people here.

Little Tea Shop

has one of my favorite methods of ordering your meal.  You get a slip of paper, a small pencil and you just mark down what you want. 

The waitress collects it, asks any necessary questions and passes it on to the kitchen.

First out were a basket of corn sticks. 

Knowing who I was with and how much food we would be consuming over the course of the day, I passed.  CTD chose the pimento cheese sandwich,

with the pea soup on the side.  Homemade pimento cheese on white bread seems like the right thing to order in a Southern tea shop and it was quite good.  Always creative, I noticed CTD was dipping the corn sticks into the pea soup.

My vegetable plate

consisted of English Peas, corn bread dressing, turnip greens and corn.  The standouts were the slightly bitter greens and the highly seasoned creamed corn.  Dessert was an order each of the apple cobbler and the peach cobbler. 

These cobblers were more of the breading than fruit style, with is my preferred cobbler, but the breading was just a little harder than it should have been.  Still, these were fine versions of the Southern dessert classics.

In the men's room, they have one of the strangest signs I have encountered.  They ask that men please sit down to urinate, so they don't get splashed by impurities.  Huh.

Little Tea Shop
69 Monroe Street
Memphis, TN
901-525-6000

Not much time to recover appetite since we had a fabulous meal waiting just a few minutes away.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/10/23 14:16:13

370 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1