The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Wed, 11/27/13 10:46 AM (permalink)
Explanation of title first: I have noted that because some kinds of food is going up at a much faster rate than others, sometimes, paradoxically, the "cheap substitutes" end up costing more than higher quality (and formerly more expensive) versions. This is especially useful with items with a longer shelf/freezer/refrigerator life when you can take advantage of sales. I'll mention a couple of products to get the ball rolling:

Cheese slices: OK, I formerly would frequently buy "pasteurized processed cheese food" (aka cheese with skim milk solids added) in pre-wrapped slices as a condiment. Anything less than $4 a pound was fine by me. Now, you can only buy "pasteurized processed cheese product" in pre-wrapped slices (although Kraft was selling p. p. American Cheese pre-wrapped for a while, although it was $5-6 a pound). These days, on sale, I can buy blocks of cheese or shredded cheese (generally cheddar or mixes), frequently at $4, and often enough down to $2-3 a pound. The shredded, in particular is very easy to use on sandwiches.

Hot dogs: Even the off-brand crap is almost always $4-$5 a pound. On the other hand, the Johnsonville and Hillshire farm "sausages" are often on sale at $2.50-$3 a pound (well, a bit more now that they've moved from 16 ounce to 14 ounce pacakges). These freeze very well; I wrap each one in a small piece of waxed paper.

Anybody else finding low quality stuff is passing higher quality equivalents in price, and switching over to the less expensive, higher quality?

Bart

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 321
    Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Wed, 11/27/13 11:33 AM (permalink)
    Haven't noticed the hot dog trend here.  Not sure what you would consider "off-brand" but the dreadful Bar(f) S dogs are $1.39 for a 1 lb. pack at our local Wegman's, and good ol' Oscar Mayer are $2.99.  It's not until you get to the Zweigle's, Sahlen's and Hoffmann's dogs that you get over $4 a pound here.  Johnsonville & Hillshire Farms sausages are $3.49 and $3.59, respectively, although, as you mention, they are often loss-leader priced, but (to make a fair comparison) so are OM, Hebrew National and Ballpark Franks.

bartl

Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Thu, 11/28/13 2:11 PM (permalink)
      In my area, Bar-S, etc. are usually about $3-4 a pound. The mid and upper level of the national brands (Oscar Meyer, Ballpark, Hebrew Nat) are usually about $5 a pound, on loss leader sale maybe about once every three months. The Hillshire Farms and Johnsonville are $4 a pound, but down to $2.50-3 a pound about one week out of three.

Bart

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
        Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Thu, 11/28/13 4:11 PM (permalink)
        I noticed the hot dog-smoked sausage price difference last month. Hot dogs were $5 and up in NC, sausage $3. It seemed really odd to me, but an easy shopping decision.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
          Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Thu, 11/28/13 4:16 PM (permalink)
          Inflation? 
          What inflation? 
          Our government tells me that it is only 1%.
          I'm trying to figure out what I'll buy with my $2,500 in reduced health care costs. 

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
            Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Thu, 11/28/13 8:25 PM (permalink)
            don't forget the economy is booming according to the government.and not to many prices are rising.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
              Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Fri, 11/29/13 4:14 PM (permalink)
              If we are all going to be getting a larger slice, but from a smaller pie, I'd like to be in the front of the line please

amyron

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sat, 01/11/14 3:17 AM (permalink)
                There has been a ton of discussion about how Americans aren't saving much cash or at least not putting it aside. Even if individuals were to up the rate of , inflation rates have practically made it a pointless exercise.

MetroplexJim

Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sat, 01/11/14 10:27 AM (permalink)
                  amyron

There has been a ton of discussion about how Americans aren't saving much cash or at least not putting it aside. Even if individuals were to up the rate of , inflation rates have practically made it a pointless exercise.

First:  WELCOME TO ROADFOOD!!!

----------------

Yes, "quantitative easing" has made real (nominal market rate for, say, C.D.'s minus the Consumer Price Indexinterest rates for savers negative.

As, for the sake of amity, 'political discussion' is verboten here I will simply quote John Maynard Keynes from his extraordinarily precient book "The Economic Consequences of the Peace (1919)" in which he prediced the collapse of Weimar Germany into a chaos from which would emerge an aggressive militaristic state that would wreak even greater destruction upon civilisation than had The Great War:

"The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency. By a
                  continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens".

bartl

Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sat, 01/11/14 5:33 PM (permalink)
                    amyron

BUSTED!!!!! Stolen from http://personalmoneynetwo...og/2012/10/24/savings/

Bart

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                      Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sat, 01/11/14 8:26 PM (permalink)
                      There's a current Velveeta shortage...

http://mobile.foodproduct...-shortage#.UtHuwXi9LTo

That says somethin' about somethin'....
                      <message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 01/11/14 8:28 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17823
                        Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sat, 01/11/14 9:06 PM (permalink)
                        It says there's going to be a lot of cheese dip served on Super Bowl Sunday.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                          Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sat, 01/11/14 9:22 PM (permalink)
                          I'm getting pizza delivered from Enzo's for the Super Bowl

MetroplexJim

Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Sun, 01/12/14 7:47 AM (permalink)
                            bartl

amyron

BUSTED!!!!! Stolen from http://personalmoneynetwo...og/2012/10/24/savings/

Bart

"Borrowed verbiage" or not, it is true that negative real rates of interest are a disincentive to saving and are, as Lord Keynes observed, in fact a theft of wealth.  

"Government Debt" does not impose a burden on future generations exclusively; deficit spending "financed" by the creation of money imposes an immense burden on any living individual who had saved in the past and on those who attempt to save in the present.  Keynes said that such policies confiscate wealth and "(do so) in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose".

(Strangely, present 'official' calculations of the Consumer Price Index do not include price changes in food, energy, or transportation.  So, if you do not eat, travel, or wish to be warm in the Winter and cool in the Summer, inflation is indeed 1.5%).
                            <message edited by MetroplexJim on Sun, 01/12/14 8:01 AM>

bartl

Re:Uneven Inflation -> Higher Quality Mon, 01/13/14 8:20 PM (permalink)
                              MetroplexJim

"Borrowed verbiage" or not, it is true that negative real rates of interest are a disincentive to saving and are, as Lord Keynes observed, in fact a theft of wealth.  

The point is that the poster just cut and pasted an off topic remark based on a word in the subject, probably to increase their message number so that they can link to their spam.

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com