Hot!Kaszeta's 2013 year in review.

Author
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 683
2013/12/13 22:04:01 (permalink)

Kaszeta's 2013 year in review.

Since I've done these the last few years, I figured I should keep up the tradition.

That said, 2013 was a rough year for my Roadfooding.  Coming off of a spectacular 2012 (Mmm, Iceland!), this year was substantially more mellow, but looking back over the year, I took photos at about 150 places, and wrote up 86 of them (so far).  But I'm not finding any clear patterns, so this time I'll summarize things chronologically.  That said, it ended up being a fun year, with a rather good trip to Montreal, another European bender (England and Belgium), a side trip back to Iceland, and a few other random wanderings about the US.

But the year started slowly.  In most of January and February, my day job had me spending entirely too much of my life in long days working in Boxborough and Ayer MA.  I'll have to throw myself on Roadfood's mercy, but even several attempts of mine to find some interesting eats fell flat; there's just not a lot in that immediate area.  But one night, we did find a particular gem of a restaurant, Woo Jung, a Korean place just off of what used to be Fort Ayer.  And for a semi-rural area out on the far outskirts of the Boston metro area, they have some surprisingly good food.  The banchan was quite flavorful and plentiful:

And the Kimchi Chigae was particularly flavorful as well:

(full review here)

Similarly, one of my midweek trips up to Vermont last winter allowed me to track down a place that had been on my radar for a while: Vermont has a pop-up Sushi place, Himitsu Sushi, that operates 5 nights a week out of different restaurants scattered over the state.  I finally tracked them down in Montpelier, at Kismet (an Asian fusion place that actually warranted a review of their own later in the year).  For a state that doesn't have a lot of sushi action, the temporary products of Himitsu made me want to track them down more often.  Here's their excellent tuna and watermelon ceviche:

And here's a selection of their rolls (that's mango slices, not American cheese):

(full review here)

Then, there was a major derailment of all my plans when I found out during a visit to Smuttynose Brewery in Portsmouth, NH that I had just come down with my second kidney stone (the first was way back in the 90s).  Unlike my previous stone, this one was big and nasty, and had me down for the count: I spent six weeks either suffering from the stone, or recovering from the stone removal.  I don't recommend the experience.

But then April rolled around, and it was time to get active again...

(Next up, the Boston Death March!)
post edited by kaszeta - 2013/12/13 22:05:20

88 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1