Young (prospective) restaurateur seeking advice on plan

Author
twinsfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2013/12/29 22:52:26 (permalink)

Young (prospective) restaurateur seeking advice on plan

Hi y'all,

I'm a seventeen year old chef- yes, seventeen, who's been working professionally around food for five or six years. I had the opportunity to start out on the professional barbecue circuit when I was twelve, and work as a caterer for three years. Recently, I've been working around so-called "molecular gastronomy" and other forms of nouveau Southern cuisine. 

Now, I understand this is a ridiculous pipe dream, but I've entered preliminary discussions around opening a very small (12-24 seat) restaurant on a shoestring budget. I understand limited funding is a terrible idea in the restaurant industry, but the cache would be that it would only remain open for nine months before I head off to college. This would be a venue for working with the modest modern techniques and preparations in a low risk situation. I've catered, worked in professional kitchens, and staged multiple times, and although I have little experience, I'd like to try it.

Considering I'm aiming for a 1000 sq ft restaurant with 20-24 seats, I have determined the project is possible for anywhere between $12-20k.  This would include rent, insurance, utilities, tables/chairs, plateware/glassware, maintenance equipment, etc. Is this worth pursuing if I can fund raise through crowd-funding?

24 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1