The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Thu, 01/2/14 12:56 PM (permalink)
Heading to Knoxville in the next couple days and looking for the finest regional variants on Hot Tamales and Barbecue. Thanks y'all.

Sundancer7

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Thu, 01/2/14 1:48 PM (permalink)
    I have lived in Knoxville for 71 years and I have had BBQ at most of the places that call themselves BBQ.  They are plentiful but few if any have quality BBQ  I have attached a list of the many BBQ places.  When I want BBQ, I go the main place of Buddy's at 5806 Kingston pike.  It is sorta large but that is where they do their smoking.  I always get a five pound shoulder whole as they give it to you right out of the smoker and it is always juicy and hot along with a quart of their BBQ sauce.  Go to the one I indicated as they supply all of the other Buddy's.  It will be dark on the exterior with definite smoke rings.  Get the whole one only as they are the juiciest and freshest.

http://www.metropulse.com/news/2010/may/19/knoxville-barbecue-joints/

As far as tamales, I haven't a clue.  Sorry to say that the only place that I have found decent tamales is at  Costco's.  I have attached a list of places that indicate that they have pork tamales.

https://foursquare.com/explore?mode=url&near=Knoxville%2C%20TN%2C%20United%20States&q=pork%20tamales

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

scrumptiouschef

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Thu, 01/2/14 6:19 PM (permalink)
      Thanks Paul, did manage to dig this up https://www.tnvacation.co...ary-039-s-hot-tamales/ Mary's Hot Tamales over on Magnolia, been around for 20 years-sounds promising.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Thu, 01/2/14 6:47 PM (permalink)
        “Harry Royston, Hot Tamale Vender, Dies / Well Known Negro, Introduced Mexican Dish in Knoxville Thirty Years Ago.”

typically excellent piece from Jack Neeley on the history of the delta tamale in Knoxville http://www.metropulse.com...ory-apparent-origin-k/

Sundancer7

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Fri, 01/3/14 10:36 AM (permalink)
          scrumptiouschef

Thanks Paul, did manage to dig this up https://www.tnvacation.co...ary-039-s-hot-tamales/ Mary's Hot Tamales over on Magnolia, been around for 20 years-sounds promising.

Before I posted my response to your request yesterday, I called Mary's and the phone was disconnected.  I believe they have closed.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
            Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Fri, 01/3/14 11:22 AM (permalink)
            scrumptiouschef

typically excellent piece from Jack Neeley on the history of the delta tamale in Knoxville http://www.metropulse.com...ory-apparent-origin-k/
            A very interesting and enlightening article!  Google Maps does have a photo of the Willow & Patton intersection, and it's a rather desolate area.

I work with a soon-to-be-retired Knoxville ex-pat and passed him the link.  I think he'll enjoy the story.
            <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Fri, 01/3/14 11:27 AM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3555
              Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Fri, 01/3/14 11:50 AM (permalink)
              I have seen so much by now on these delta/hot tamales I really am craving trying some. I think that's a lot of the fascination with food------seeing how a particular item evolves as it reaches different areas of the country and different ethnic groups.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
                Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Fri, 01/3/14 7:27 PM (permalink)
                Been to Dead End BBQ. It's good but not great. They do make a terrific sausage though.

I blogged about it: http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...12/12/end-of-road.html

DT

Sundancer7

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Fri, 01/3/14 7:37 PM (permalink)
                  Davwud

Been to Dead End BBQ. It's good but not great. They do make a terrific sausage though.

I blogged about it: http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...12/12/end-of-road.html

DT

I live in Knoxville and I have been to Dead End twice.  The first time was bad and the second time worse.  No more for me.
                  Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

scrumptiouschef

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Fri, 01/3/14 8:43 PM (permalink)
                    Lots of Knoxville barbecue info here http://www.metropulse.com...ville-barbecue-joints/

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9542
                      Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Sat, 01/4/14 1:29 AM (permalink)
                      Somehow Tamales and Knoxville just don't sound like they go together!
                      Somehow Just can't visualize a bunch of Orangenecks standin' around at a UT Football Tailgate suckin' on Jack Daniels and eatin' Tamales???????
                      <message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 01/4/14 1:34 AM>

JayL

• Total Posts: 213
                        Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Sat, 01/4/14 12:20 PM (permalink)
                        Sundancer7
                        I always get a five pound shoulder whole as they give it to you right out of the smoker and it is always juicy and hot along with a quart of their BBQ sauce. 

Sounds really good, but you are probably getting a 5# butt (1/2 a butt to be exact)...not a shoulder. 

If you had said "fifteen pound shoulder" it would have been closer...still a smallish shoulder, but close.

Nevertheless, it sounds like a good plan!

Sundancer7

Re:Hot Tamales And Barbecue In Knoxville TN Sat, 01/4/14 1:15 PM (permalink)
                          JayL

Sundancer7
                          I always get a five pound shoulder whole as they give it to you right out of the smoker and it is always juicy and hot along with a quart of their BBQ sauce. 

Sounds really good, but you are probably getting a 5# butt (1/2 a butt to be exact)...not a shoulder. 

If you had said "fifteen pound shoulder" it would have been closer...still a smallish shoulder, but close.

Nevertheless, it sounds like a good plan!

You are correct.  Thank you.
                          Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com