The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Mon, 01/20/14 11:46 AM (permalink)
Foodbme

I've seen White Castle's in Supermarkets but never anywhere else.

I routinely buy them at convenience stores when traveling.  They come in 2-burger clear packs that are labeled for resale.  The cheeseburger is available in the same packaging.   Interestingly, a mom & pop Shell station in my neighborhood sells them. 

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
    Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Tue, 01/21/14 2:33 AM (permalink)
    I tried White Castle for the first time recently and thought they were awful. I cant imagine what the frozen, supermarket ones would taste like.

MellowRoast

Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Tue, 01/21/14 4:12 AM (permalink)
      They're extremely good, but as with anything, not everyone will like them.
      <message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 01/21/14 4:48 AM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
        Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Tue, 01/21/14 7:28 AM (permalink)
        I used to work next door to a White Castle in Long Island City, Queens, NY and I'd get them for lunch a couple days a week.  Haven't had one in almost 10 years.  I was drawn to them but they'd stay with me for a few days and I had to break the habit! 
        Now, give me 4 or 6 sliders and a strawberry milkshake from White Manna in Hackensack, NJ and I'm in heaven. 

I'd say that McDonald's, specifically Ray Kroc, was more influential in terms of how FF runs their businesses/franchises today but in terms of how their burgers, in particular, influenced the industry, I'd guess that White Castle probably comes out on top.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
          Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Tue, 01/21/14 6:46 PM (permalink)
          McDonald's has buns thanks to Walter Anderson...

Vincere la Corona White Castle!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
            Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Tue, 01/21/14 7:31 PM (permalink)
            Indeed.

MellowRoast

Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Thu, 01/23/14 4:01 AM (permalink)
              Not only "indeed", but INDEED!  I just noticed something on the White Castle website I didn't know.  Not only are White Castles sold in supermarkets and convenience stores, their cheeseburgers are sold in movie theaters and stadiums across the USA.  Plus, the WC cheeseburger is the #1 selling sandwich in vending machines nationwide.  Quoting the site: "The first to sell a million hamburgers. The first to sell a billion hamburgers. And the first to sell frozen fast food."
              <message edited by MellowRoast on Fri, 01/24/14 4:55 AM>

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                Re:Time Magazine: Most Influential Burger of All Time Fri, 01/24/14 6:58 AM (permalink)
                Notice it's not most popular or best burger.  It's most influential.
                Louis Lunch was first and everything else was influenced by them.   Including White Castle and the McDonald Brothers. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com