Crab Cakes at Timbuktu

Author
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1067
2014/02/28 13:07:04 (permalink)

Crab Cakes at Timbuktu

It appears to have been a while since someone posted a trip report on Timbuktu restaurant in Hanover, MD. http://www.timbukturestaurant.com/

I spent Thursday  at meetings at a government agency which shall remain nameless, and that evening, had dinner with two of the other attendees (neither of whom I had known prior to this expedition).

Before I went to Maryland, I consulted with a good friend who suggested that I go to Timbuktu for crab cakes.  I checked it out online, and it looked great, but the reviews were a little mixed.  I spoke with two of the security guards at the nameless agency, and they both agreed that Timbuktu has wonderful crab cakes, though they also liked the nearby G&M (which my friend had also recommended). 

Well, I was still a little anxious -- it's always a bit of a gamble to go to a new place, and I felt responsible to my two colleagues to come up with a good place. But given that they were prepared to just eat in the hotel, I figured whatever Timbuktu was,  it at least wouldn't be institutional.

Our hotel concierge made a reservation, and the hotel shuttle van (none of us had a car) transported us to the restaurant. 

I was really quite taken with it. 

It is not a crab shack, but a white tablecloth restaurant (though not fancy) -- sort of a supper club ambience.  Our young waiter was polite and upbeat.  One of my companions ordered a martini and I ordered a Glenfiddich on the rocks. She pronounced her drink as "one of the best martinis [she's] had" -- and this is someone with extremely robust travel experience.  We each ordered a single crab cake, after the waiter told us that, while he wouldn't presume to suggest how much each of us could eat, he himself finds it almost impossible to eat more than one and a half crab cakes "unless I'm really hungry."  He brought us a basket of good dinner rolls, and we each chose a salad as one of our sides.  Not an extraordinary mixed salad, by any means, but it was fresh and crisp, and their homemade "Greek" dressing was quite tasty.

The crab cakes were, as others have reported here, fantastic. Tons of fresh crabmeat and very little filler. Two of us had baked potatoes (fine) and I honestly don't remember what the third person had for her second side. 

But the crab cakes were the main point of the meal, anyway.

The waiter also persuaded us to try dessert.  One of us had the bread pudding; the second had key lime pie; I had a homemade apple "crostata" with ice cream.  Everyone enjoyed his/her desssert; I thought my crostata was outstanding -- excellent crust and not-too-sweet apples, with caramel sauce on the ice cream.

I thought the food was very reasonably priced.  The service was great and, although I gather there have been some complaints about cleanliness in the past, I saw no problems at all with that on this visit.  

Our hotel sent the van back to fetch us, so getting back and forth was both painless and free.

I would certainly go back to Timbuktu.  One of my dining companions said she would stick with me for restaurant recommendations in the future.

post edited by rumaki - 2014/02/28 13:42:11

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1