Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah

Author
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
2014/03/07 17:34:01 (permalink)

Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah

We just finished a fabulous lunch at the Masada Cafe, located in the back part of the House of Prayer at 2301 W. Bay in Savannah. We'd been meaning to stop here for years. Pastor Jackson and his wife run it, along with church volunteers. Very gracious and friendly people. I had a fried chicken breast, delicious! I chose red rice, Mac and cheese, and collards to go with it. All excellent, but especially so the mac and cheese. My husband got the oxtails and gravy over red rice and Lima beans with okra and fried cabbage. He pronounced it to be wonderful. For dessert, I got a peach cobbler, still very hot from the oven. It wasn't overly sweet and was topped with a crisscross pastry crust sprinkled with cinnamon. My husband chose a slice of white layer cake with a dark chocolate frosting. He declared it to be "very homemade". They were written up a month or so ago in Southern Living, whose advice I don't usually take when it comes to Roadfood but the Masada Cafe is the real deal. Other choices of meats today were turkey leg, baked chicken, meatloaf, pig's feet and barbecued ribs. They're open Friday thru Monday 11:00-5:00. No credit cards. Our two meals plus dessert were $24. Also, they donate their profits to various community causes.

5 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4019
    Re:Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah 2014/03/07 17:47:12 (permalink)
    Oxtails are one of my favorite things. How did they make them there? Sounds like a great way to enjoy a family-style meal. Thanks for the report, sudie!
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1051
    Re:Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah 2014/03/08 09:33:35 (permalink)
    I love white cake and it is so hard to find these days. 

My late father retired to Hilton Head and we used to go to Savannah occasionally.  It's unlikely I'll ever get back there, but you never know. Thanks for the great write-up!
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re:Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah 2014/03/08 09:46:34 (permalink)
    Great write up sudie. I have eaten there numerous times and have never been dissapointed. Always,always get the Savannah red rice.....
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    Re:Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah 2014/03/08 16:58:33 (permalink)
    This place sounds like a real Roadfood adventure!  We will be stopping,  twice, in Savannah at end of July so hoping to get there one of the times!  Thanks for the great information on this place........now we will have two good Roadfood worthy places to eat while there.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Prayers in the front, provisions in the back - Savannah 2014/03/08 19:11:22 (permalink)
    Bless you, Sudie. "Very homemade" is the name of the game. Your husband is a cool dude as you well know.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1