Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 17
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
2014/04/10 07:04:37 (permalink)

All Roads Lead To Cincinnati

Wednesday April 9th:
It was early morning yesterday, I was up before the dawn...
We've had a lot of fun planning the Cincinnati Chili crawl for this coming Saturday, April 12th lead by our own Cajun King.  With over 40 Roadfooders responding at one time or another and 27 confirmed attendees, I thought I would kick off the trip report for this gigantic meet-up.
We've got folks coming for all over the country, and most are arriving 1, 2 or even 3 days in advance....which means there's always a story and always some more Roadfood involved. 
EVERYONE - please feel free to chime in, post pictures, tell us about your trip within the trip...let's set a new Roadfood record for most posters on the same trip!!!  Yep, even you Dale! Come out of retirement.....
My day began on Wednesday, April 9th with a before dawn departure from the Windy City to beat the traffic.  Driving conditions were superb, tunes were preselected in advance and, I had my Roadfood spreadsheets!   The roads were empty and I made great time to my first stop, the Roadfood reviewed...

Shapiro's is located in a gentrified area of Indianapolis and has a huge, huge seating area.  I was surprised to see 6 people sitting in 200-300 seat restaurant but I have heard lunch is packed as there are lots of businesses near by.
While I am an omelet lover, I knew I had several coming up and it's not often you find a Jewish deli with so distinctive a lineage....so it was the lox plate pictured below.

It was ok...so I'll give it a C-...but on closer inspection, I watched the girl open a package of lox and grab a clump of way to thickly sliced and smallish pieces.  My bagel choice is always Everything and after accepting my order, she stopped by the table to tell me they were out of Everything and to pick another flavor...went with toasted garlic.  After inquiring about cream cheese flavors, I was told there was only one and now I see why....Philly in a package. 
Not the best start to my trip, but not a disaster either.  It still makes the bottom of the average scale at a C-, but I had much higher hopes.  Should of tried the corned beef omelet! 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/19 10:30:50

497 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 07:36:29 (permalink)
    Long live the spreadsheet!!!!!

Good idea for this thread CTD and I love the title.  I will be posting all my photos in this thread.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 09:53:56 (permalink)
    EdSails will be arriving from CA this afternoon.  I think he may be the Roadfooder coming the longest distance to have Cincinnati chili.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 10:34:40 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    Where are you taking Ed once he lands?  And bravo for him for coming that far!

I am visiting two airports today without flying.  Picking up wanderingjew at the Pittsburgh airport and then picking up cousin Johnny at the Columbus airport later this afternoon.
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 10:53:54 (permalink)
    Have a great time, everybody!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 11:10:42 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

lleechef-
    Where are you taking Ed once he lands?  And bravo for him for coming that far!

I am visiting two airports today without flying.  Picking up wanderingjew at the Pittsburgh airport and then picking up cousin Johnny at the Columbus airport later this afternoon.

If Ed lands on time, 5:30, we could still make it to Henry's.  We were thinking Schmidt's for dinner.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 11:20:11 (permalink)
    That's a long way to go Lisa, but you guys would be most welcome!  And Schmidt's is a fine choice.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 11:23:19 (permalink)
    And he's going to breakfast with me in the morning for his first Waffle House experience. Then it's off to Crabill's for lunch. We did plan to go from Crabill's to Henry's, but if we manage to get to Henry's this evening there's be no point to anther visit to Henry's. I mean, who would want to eat pie two days in a row? Other stops around here for Ed will include White Castle, and G&R Tavern for their famous fried bologna sandwiches. lleechef promised to at least take a bite of one. (You heard her make that promise BB.)
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2509
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 11:43:11 (permalink)
    Michael, bring a hooded jacket for Ed, he's not used to chilly 70's weather.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 11:48:17 (permalink)
    It's all the way up to 60 here now.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 12:16:16 (permalink)
    I'm sitting in LAX right now waiting for the plane. Looking forward to the trip. Looks like the plane is on time, scheduled for 5:29 arrival. I did bring a jacket, but at least I didn't need to bring the snowshoes and cross-country skis. 

Michael, I'm definitely going to Waffle House with you, but this won't be my first time. I've been to Waffle Houses in FL, AL and AZ. Looking forward to smothered hash browns!

I did bring a jacket, but a fairly light one. Hard wearing it this morning---at 7AM when I left the house it was already in the 70's. 

To start the trip off with a little excitement, when I packed last night, I decided to shower afterwards. Kathi had said that the shower handle was looking a little weird. I went to turn on the upstairs shower and the whole valve broke off and started spraying water. I threw on sweat pants and went out to try to find the house shut off. I finally found it but by that time water was dripping in the garage. I am glad I won't be around for the plumber! Needless to say, it was fun brushing my teeth using a bottle of water this morning. 

Yes, I bet I'm the farthest traveling to Cincinnati, but I am sure the trip will be a blast!
    ChrisOC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1035
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 14:12:29 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great time.  Enjoy, everyone.  Hope we see lots of pictures!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 14:13:06 (permalink)
    Gregg- We were at the IUPUI (pronounced Ouueee Poouuuee) the acronym for Ind. University/Purdue University-Indianapolis Med Center getting the 6 month probe and check up on the earlier tumor removal. Looking good.   But I wasn't allowed a Shapiro's visit this trip so I missed a chance to meet up with you as you rolled thru town.

Sorry we won't be headed for Cincsy this weekend, but I need a few days after the internal probing to get back to moving around at all.  Have fun folks. I look forward to all the details being shared here.
    Lisa-  Loved the Halibut photo on FB
    Al
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 16:07:44 (permalink)
    Al,
    That was quite a lunker!!  If I had one like that on my line it would surely pull me overboard!
    Looks like we won't be able to meet Cliff, Dale, cousin Johnny, Gregg and Danny at Henry's for pie.  Ed's flight arrival is now set for 6:30. 
    Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 17:38:26 (permalink)
    I made it safe and sound... at the Quality inn on Sharon rd, next to a Slyline Chili, and a Fritshs Big Boy :)
    Cel is four 2 three two 5 two 71 zero two if anyone is out and about or up for something.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 18:00:45 (permalink)
    lleechef

Al,
    That was quite a lunker!!  If I had one like that on my line it would surely pull me overboard!
    Looks like we won't be able to meet Cliff, Dale, cousin Johnny, Gregg and Danny at Henry's for pie.  Ed's flight arrival is now set for 6:30. 

Let me get this right! Pie or Ed............it looks like Ed's walkin. I shouldn't say that, pay backs are Hell when I see Ed in June.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/10 23:13:08 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

And he's going to breakfast with me in the morning for his first Waffle House experience. Then it's off to Crabill's for lunch. We did plan to go from Crabill's to Henry's, but if we manage to get to Henry's this evening there's be no point to anther visit to Henry's. I mean, who would want to eat pie two days in a row? Other stops around here for Ed will include White Castle, and G&R Tavern for their famous fried bologna sandwiches. lleechef promised to at least take a bite of one. (You heard her make that promise BB.)

Crabill's was one of our 15 stops today...loved it!  Had mine with cheese...2 singles and a double for comparison!  Great recommendation Michael!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 09:21:20 (permalink)
    A successful trip into Cincy yesterday.  Our stop at St. Elmo Steak House in Indianapolis was a winner, but could have been a miss if not for dumb luck.  About two hours outside Indy (3:30pm EDST), I figured it might be a good idea to call ahead for a reservation.An overwhelmed woman told us the earliest reservation would be at 9:00pm.  Since we were supposed to meet the gang at The Pine Club in Dayton at 8:00pm, that clearly wasn't going to work

I drove on, figuring if we couldn't get a walk-in table, we'd try one of our back up stops, The Gaslight or Mug N Bun for pork tenderloin sandwiches.  As we drove through downtown Indy it became clear why there was such a long wait at St. Elmo: A firefighter convention was in town.  Thousand of first responders from all over the country clogged the streets.  I've never felt so safe and so claustrophobic in my life.

We pulled up to the valet parking at St. Elmo and told the valet, before we give him our ten bucks to park we wanted to make sure there was a table available inside.  He ran in to check and said if we go in right now, they'd be able to seat us.  I have never whipped out a sawbuck so fast in my life. 

We waved goodbye to our car and walked into a different era.  St. Elmo is exactly what you'd expect in a steak house: high ceilings, lots of dark wood paneling, stained glass, and hanging ceiling fans to keep the smell of perfectly charred beef circulating through the room.  It was really beautiful, but, to quote Mrs. Roadhouse: "It doesn't have the ambiance of Doe's Eat Place, but I guess it'll do."

We started our meal with one of St. Elmo's famous Shrimp Cocktails which lived up to its promise to clear our sinuses.  They don't skimp on the horseradish in the Hoosier State.  There were five large, succulent shrimp hiding under a mound of cocktail sauce.  The trick is to chew the shrimp in the front of your mouth as you exhale, and move it back as you inhale.  otherwise that horseradish will blow off the back of your head.

Knowing our next stop would be another Steak House, and knowing our dining companions would mock us if we didn't order beef there, we opted to make our first meal the chicken dinner.  Our brilliant waiter brought out a half chicken, done to a gorgeous deep mahogany, with moist meat within.  The mashed potatoes that came with the dinner were kind of like a double baked potato without the skin around it, loaded with cheese and leeks.  They tasted really good, but the consistency was a little gluey.

At the end of the meal our wonderful waiter obliged our request for a half dozen of the amazing house Onion Rolls, the ones where the minced onions are baked into the center of the roll.  We later used these as barter, trading for some doughnuts acquired by CTD and the gang earlier in the day.

Two hours later we were sitting with ChiTownDiner, buffetbuster, wanderingjew, Ralph Melton, icecreamchick, Cousin Johnny and new guy, ChiBears 15 at the Pine Club.  If only that poor cow knew what was in store for it with this group, it might have broken off from the herd and made a run for it.

It was steaks all around with a smorgasbord of sides.  Lyonaisse Potatoes and fried onions accompanied the small filet Mrs. Roadhouse and I shared.  The steak was beautifully seared with a very flavorful char.  The potatoes has a lovely crisp exterior and a rich creamy, oniony inside.  Great fried onions too.

After dinner we thought we'd finish the night with a stop at Graeter's, but a quick phone call revealed they were closing at 10pm, not 11 as stated on their website.

As I type this (in the dark, mind you, so please excuse any spelong mostikes) most of last night's crew are already on their third or fourth stop of the day.  We'll be meeting them just before 11am at Terry's Turf Club for what is purported to be Cincinnati's Best Burger.

More as it becomes available.

Buddy
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 11:07:14 (permalink)

EdSails at Schmidt's Sausage Haus last night.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 11:11:34 (permalink)

Bahama Mama platter
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 12:58:44 (permalink)
    It looks like a great start to a great weekend. I wish you all a happy and fun time...........my best to all.............Bill
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5207
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 14:03:34 (permalink)
    And what might that be in Ed's glass?  It looks tasty...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 18:25:48 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

And what might that be in Ed's glass?  It looks tasty...

A dark German lager called Dunkel.  And it's very tasty!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/11 19:58:41 (permalink)

Doubles with mustard and relish

Pie at Henry's......apple, blackberry, banana cream, coconut cream

Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/12 02:40:54 (permalink)
    I finally got Channel 9 to agree to let me write a story about this gathering! Here it is!

http://www.wcpo.com/lifestyle/food/group-holding-cincinnati-chili-crawl

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/12 04:59:16 (permalink)
    Nice Article- Well Done!

will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/12 07:02:54 (permalink)
    Wish I was there!  I'll be moving this weekend while all of you are feasting!  I know it will be a blast!  A great big delicious blast!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/12 08:19:54 (permalink)
    Bonk - nice article! Also....to compliment the article, Cajun King aka The Donald is our leader on this trip. He's put in the sweat and organized this get together but has also had to deal with the passing of his mom. As with Roadfooders we all stick together and helpout where we can! Lots of the gang were there for me....and we're there for The Donald!
    Ok....back to business....first stop done and we are enjoyong Servatti psatries as the group begins assembling!
    post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/12 18:17:08
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/12 08:46:45 (permalink)
    Bonk

I finally got Channel 9 to agree to let me write a story about this gathering! Here it is!

http://www.wcpo.com/lifestyle/food/group-holding-cincinnati-chili-crawl

Bonk, great job!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:All Roads Lead To Cincinnati 2014/04/14 08:09:05 (permalink)
    After a mediocre start, my next stop was only 20 minutes away.  Conveniently located just off I-65 and just south of Indy,  Jonathan Byrd's Cafeteria  is a great stop for travelers as well as locals. 
    Now, as our traveling group already knows, I had a major phone melt down and many of my pictures from the first 3 days of the trip were lost, so....

Here's my only surviving picture of this stop.  Chicken and noodles, mac n cheese, green beans, a sweet corn muffin and blueberry pie!  A nice plate and an average grade of C! 
    Having just eaten at Gray Brothers Cafeteria less than 2 months ago, I had ordered the same main plate and found it better at Gray Brothers.  The chicken and noodles as well as the mac were clearly better at Gray Brothers.  The green beans here were a soggy mess, perhaps left over from the previous day.  The dessert selection, a hallmark of Jonathan Byrd's was double the size at Gray Brothers.  Still, an A for convenience and service and an easy in and out for a solid meal.

[link=http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/1310/jonathan-byrds-cafeteria]http://www.roadfood.com/R...nathan-byrds-cafeteria[/link]
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 17
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1