New VT food truck build underway... this is the beginning of a variety of questions...

Author
phantomtruck
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2014/04/15 20:58:35 (permalink)

New VT food truck build underway... this is the beginning of a variety of questions...

Hey folks. I'm starting this thread to document a new build I'm doing on a '06 Workhorse step van I'm turning into a fully functional commercial kitchen. Plans are to have a full line (6 burner, grill, griddle, fryolator), a variety of fridges, the requisite sinks and prep areas, as well as a few specialty items like a meat slicer and maybe a panini press.

I'm a professional builder first, a semi-professional chef second, so I have a leg up on the construction aspect of the build-out. However, there are some "food truck specific" construction details I'd love some advice on... a few questions I have now, many, many more, I'm sure, as I get fully underway. I'll really appreciate any advice anyone wants to share... it will not fall on deaf ears, I assure you.

So, a couple of my first questions.... I'm in the beginning stages of the build. I've given the truck a really thorough cleaning, I've glued and screwed plywood to the floor to receive my finish flooring, and I've just begun framing out the walls on the inside... question #1... I'm planning to apply stainless steel to the walls behind the line, and FRP to the rest of the walls and ceiling. How have most of you applied the stainless steel? Are you gluing it to the plywood with the occasional fasteners? Fastening without glue? I was probably planning to use construction adhesive (the kind from a caulking gun) to apply a general pattern of glue, then fasten with brads or screws... any thoughts on that?

Second question involves the electrical system... Obviously I'm going to have a generator and a way to hook up to shore power... does anyone have pics showing some of the connections and details of their system? I have a pretty good working understanding of household electrical systems, but have never dealt with the generator/on-grid scenario, and its various components... I know this is kind of a vague question, and if no one has any input as of yet it's no problem, I can ask more specific questions as I progress.

That's all for now. Really psyched to be part of this forum, and the "food truck owners club" in general. I'd be super appreciative of any advice you all would care to share.

Thanks!

28 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1