Hot!Hamming it up in Virginia

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
2014/04/30 21:00:08 (permalink)

Hamming it up in Virginia

**************UPDATED MAY 27****************

Better late than never....Before DC and before Cincinnati there was trip 1 of 3. That's right this was the first of 3 consecutive trips in a row that each time took me back home and back to work. It was  quite the surreal experience that began back on Saturday March 29  and ended on Tuesday April 15....

Saturday, March 29

Sandra had her kids this weekend, so she came over Friday evening and we had breakfast at Jigger's Diner. Afterwards she dropped me off at TF Green Airport.
Weather was not my friend on this trip......Delays began as soon as we tried to land in Philly due to rain and air traffic. Typical  Philly airport delays had us circling around before finally landing. Of course my flight to Richmond on a 35 seater prop lane was also delayed. I was extra nervous, this was my first time on a prop lane (Philly to Richmond) and I didn' t know what to expect. I'll admit the flight was somewhat unnerving and it brought back memories of my first flight ever at the age of 19 to Albuquerque in 1985 as well as my first flight on a small (50 seater)plane to Cleveland back in 2005 at the age of 40. Well we landed uneventfully about 35 minutes late. After getting the rental,  I drove just under a half hour to my first stop

King's Restaurant

in Petersburg

I was so hungry having had breakfast much earlier in the day that I completely forgot to take photos of the exterior and signage...

My meal began with warm biscuits and hushpuppiesl

IMG_3676 by ohso37, on Flickr

both were a pleasant surprise, but I particularly enjoyed the hushpuppies which were slightly sweet and oniony.

I perused the menu and couldn't decide if I wanted pulled or minced pork. or "half and half" I asked the waitress for suggestions. She recommended the half and half, which is pulled pork half  exterior (brown) and half interior (white)

IMG_3681 by ohso37, on Flickr

I knew what I was getting was fresh and I could see and hear  it being hand chopped. I ordered slaw and sweet potato sticks as my sides. I was impressed with the taste and texture of the q, but was hoping for a more smokey flavor. The slaw was fine and the sweet potato sticks were sprinked with a just a little cinnamon sugar and were quite good. 

IMG_3682 by ohso37, on Flickr

The q comes unsauced, but there is a squirt bottle of a vinegary mustard sauce, very reminiscent of the sauce  used at Luling City Market in Houston (not City Market in Luling)

IMG_3685 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_3684 by ohso37, on Flickr

Overall, Kings Restaurant was much better than I was anticipating and I would return if in the area of Petersburg,  but I'm still searching for that solid "go to" Richmond bbq joint..

Much more to come..
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/05/28 18:14:55

95 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1