Hot!Royal Treatment - a visit to Kansas City

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5077
2014/05/05 10:26:53 (permalink)

Royal Treatment - a visit to Kansas City

Last month Mrs. Chicken and I ventured to Kansas City to see the White Sox and Royals play.  We'd never been to Kauffman Stadium before and since the Sox have only 1 weekend series in KC this season our schedule was determined for us.

Thursday, April 3

The game wasn't until Saturday but since Kansas City is over 500 miles from home we decided to break the trip down into 2 segments, to keep from being cold and tired and all alone.  We have a friend in Iowa City so we spent Thursday there and went out dinner at the Iron Hawk, a downtown bar and grill.

We started with a basket of pork bites, which are pieces of loin that're breaded, deep-fried and served with a really good chipotle aioli.

Nick liked his Cuban sandwich.

Mrs. C chose the pulled pork wrap and sweet potato fries.

It's a state law that when there are more than 2 people at a table at least 1 pork tenderloin sandwich must be ordered, so that responsibility fell to me.

It was pretty good but I think I would've liked it better had it been pounded just a hair thinner.  Yes, a BPT that was too thick.

After dinner we took a walk around the pedestrian mall and downtown area, which includes the Englert Theatre.

It was a chilly, damp evening so we decided to wrap things up at the Sanctuary Pub, a 40-plus-year Iowa City institution that Nick describes as "a bar for grownups".  It was dark inside and despite being a Thursday night it wasn't overwhelmingly busy.

The menu had some interesting offerings but I really didn't feel like eating, so Nick and Mrs. C chose to split an espresso creme brulee while I nursed a glass of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout.  They liked the dessert so much that I felt obliged to take a small taste, and it did have a rich flavor with a definite coffee presence.

After that it was time to call it a night, as Friday was going to be fairly busy and we wanted to be well-rested for the 300 miles ahead.  We stayed at the Brown Street Inn, a b&b on Iowa City's north side and slept well.

53 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1