Forgotten Coast, FL to Austin, TX (by a lightweight)

Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1487
2014/05/05 10:58:47 (permalink)

Forgotten Coast, FL to Austin, TX (by a lightweight)

Just returned from a short road trip from Mexico Beach, FL to Austin, TX and thought I'd share a few highlights here, especially since I've learned so much from reading reviews and posts on this site.  Thanks to all of those contributors!! 

First stop, Killer Seafood in Mexico Beach, where I got shrimp and scallops in their signature seafood sauce, served in a grilled bread bowl. I loved this dish.  Also had a slice of their key lime pie (sorry, no pic, but it's well documented on RF).

Here's their fried grouper:

We also went to Toucan's on this visit.  While it's had problems off and on over the years, our experience was excellent.

Oysters Rockefeller:

Steam bucket with two kinds of crab, shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes, and hush puppies:

View from Toucan's is lovely:  

Leaving Mexico Beach, and being the heathen I am,  I had to stop at Hardee's for a breakfast biscuit.  I got the steak and gravy and loved it.

Several hours ahead of the closure of I-10 due to flooding, I arrived in New Orleans unscathed and found myself on a praline crawl, searching for the best in town.  It was hard work, of course.

Of all the pralines I tried, my favorites came from Southern Candymakers on Decatur.  Apparently they've won awards and been featured in a number of articles--definitely deserved!

On my bucket list was Camellia Grill, and the location on Chartres appears to have dropped the Camellia name, so I don't know what happened there.  Anyway, I ordered their muffaletta (that's their preferred spelling), which was unusual, in that the meats and everything on the sandwich were grilled, then put onto the bun which they also grilled.  While not a traditional version, it was nevertheless a tasty sandwich.

In the morning I made a beeline for Mother's Restaurant, as I couldn't get there on my last visit, and I so wanted to try this:

Biscuit with debris.  So good!

I also got their grits, and a ham biscuit to go:

Amusing sidewalk sign near Jackson Square:

And made my way to Cafe du Monde, which as always, was heaven.

Wandering around town I saw this sign and wondered whether it was a warning or something a potential tenant would want! 

Also on my list was Central Grocery for a real deal muffuletta (their spelling, and I suspect the right one, as no autocorrect kicks in!).  It was wonderful.

Headed out of town for Austin the next morning.  Stopped at Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles because I hadn't had any traditional Louisiana gumbo or jambalaya, etc.  It turned out to be a tasty stop.

Chicken and sausage gumbo was smoky and spicy:

Crawfish pistolette was great!  I'd never heard of these or frying rolls, so this was a fun food experience for me:

post edited by love2bake - 2014/05/05 11:23:27

19 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1