Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4120
2014/05/14 19:12:31 (permalink)

Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA

Last week, I went to the KCBS and CBBQA sanctioned Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. It was a great location---the Queen Mary is one of my favorite places to go. Friday was the setup day but I was able to go and meet some of the teams, some that I'd never met before and others that I had met at the last year's competition.

I stopped first at the Woodshed BBQ Team, who is made up of people from the Woodshed Gourmet Cooking Wood and Firewood. Renea Teasdale showed me some of the wood they had and told me that they also supplied a lot of the teams with their wood.

It was interesting talking with her and now I've found a new source for pellets for my Traeger smoker. 

Next stop was the Outta Gas BBQ Team, who were already grilling' but not chill in'. I'd met Chris last year so it was good to see him again. They were grilling Korean BBQ Short Ribs that they were going to use for Short rib Tacos for one of their "People's Choice" offerings, which is the category that allows people to try the 'que and vote on their favorite. 
" "
I tried some, hot off the grill and delicious.

I really love some of the names that the teams come up with. 

With everyone still setting up and cars, trucks, RV's and SUV's unloading, it was fun walking around and smelling the delicicious aroma of cooking meat.

I dropped by a new team, Smoky Doky BBQ and he brought these out for me to try, fresh off the grill. Yum!

With not a lot set up yet, you could see the Queen Mary clearly from the park.

When I left, some of the teams were just getting ready to put their brisket and pork butts into their smokers. It was going to be an all night cook on those meats. Some of the people doing those may get 1 to 2 hours of sleep Friday night.

Saturday, I got to the Queen Mary just before the gates opened and got right in. I made a beeline for Big Mista's BBQ. I'd met Neil Strawder last year, a nice guy and a genius at BBQ.

Some of you may recognize him from the Arby's commercial for their brisket sandwich where he says he smokes his for 15 hours. 

The reason I went to Big Mista's first? Pig Candy, one of the most delicious foods ever invented. 

It a simple thing, really. Neil takes thick applewood smoked bacon, coats it with brown sugar, cayenne and a rub, smokes it, puts more spices and brown sugar on it and smokes it again till it's glazed and chewy-tender. In case you can't taste it yet---here:

Taste it now?

After a brief stop to visit Natalie and Fiona at the Queen Mary booth

I ventured over to Jet Coating Monkey Style's site to see how they were doing with their BBQ. They were just taking the brisket out to prepare for the judging
"
Stay tuned for more from Jet Coating Monkey Style. They were having fun!

Next stop was the Woodshed, where they were cooking Hawaiian Chicken Skewers on the Santa Maria Grill.

Again, I had some yummy food, chicken, brisket and some pulled pork. 

Meanwhile, members of the teams were busy putting the judge's boxes together for the competition. 
"
They will make a few pork butts and briskets, eight racks of ribs and a dozen pieces of chicken just to find the perfect couple ribs and dozen slices of meat to go into the judge's styrofoam box.
Stay hungry---more to come!
post edited by EdSails - 2014/05/15 03:58:53

17 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1