Hot!Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
SFS Fan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
2014/05/19 05:13:51 (permalink)

Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please?

Recently, a Dickey's opened up in my town and I thought the food was good.  However, as someone who is probably the least traveled American anywhere, I must admit that I have never been to ANY of the barbecue shrines in the South, Kansas City, Texas, et. al., so I can't claim to know what is truly good barbecue.  (Yeah, yeah, I know, I know.  I don't know what I'm missing.)  This is where I'd like to have your opinion: on a scale of 1 to 10 (with "10" being the best), where does Dickey's rate compared to the best BBQ places you've been to and why?  I'm trying to get an idea of what superior BBQ "should" taste like, so I'm hoping for something more than just "So-and-so's BBQ just tastes terrific and you should go there to understand!"  First, my travel budget is very, very small at the moment, so traveling beyond, say, 40 miles in any direction (okay, 75 or so if we're talking about the S.F. Bay Area) is out of the question.  Second, why is it terrific?  What are you looking for in a BBQ spot that will let you recommend it to your friends and others here on Roadfood.com?  Again, please keep in mind that Dickey's is, so far, my ONLY experience to "true" BBQ, so I hope your descriptions will help me to imagine what a good BBQ should be when I search for places between San Francisco and Sacramento.  Thank you to all of you who reply!

31 Replies Related Threads

Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 511
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 07:34:10 (permalink)
    being in North Carolina, I'm no brisket expert, but I think Dickey's does a great job with it.  Haven't tried the pork.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4193
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 07:56:21 (permalink)
    Here's what I said on a similar thread:

"As with sex, BBQ - constantly dwelling on "the best I ever had" (or the best I ever read about/heard of) - diminishes unnecessarily the enjoyment of that which is before you.

Both Rudy's and Dickey's serve perfectly acceptable protein made with whole meats and some really decent sides.  I enjoy Dickey's pulled pork which I order "unsauced" and add my own Scott's (Eastern Carolina) 'Cue Sauce.  If I sat there wistfully thinking about Wilber's of Goldsboro, NC while eating at Dickey's, my enjoyment would be greatly diminished -- and it would be my own damned fault!  And, I really enjoy Rudy's ribs.  

So, compare a meal at your neighborhood Rudy's or Dickey's with your actual alternatives:  other fast food or fast casual franchises.  Looking at "it" from that perspective will definitely enhance your enjoyment.

And, I think that most of Dickey's and Rudy's clientele do look at them from such a perspective.  And, truth be known, a family with kids probably gets "more bang for the buck" at Dickey's than they would from most any other franchise".

Make an analogy to steak houses: there is onlu one Peter Luger's; then there are the Palms, Morton's, and Capital Grilles.  A big cut below (but still very decent for the price) is Outback; far below are the Ponderosas, Bonanzas, and Golden Corrals.  Think of Dickey's as being the "Outback" of chain BBQ
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/05/19 07:58:56
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 08:59:26 (permalink)
    I will share my opinion of Dickey's that I posted on another thread. I had the misfortune of being stranded at DFW some time back and was hungry. There was Dickey's. It was horrible. No discernible smoke ring on the brisket, the sausage had a mealy texture and all in all a bad experience. Now having said that I said to myself this is an airport outlet and perhaps not the best choice I could have made. A Dickey's recently opened here in Georgetown Tx so I thought I would give them another chance. I was not surprised to find that the BBQ was just as bad. There is a Rudy's not 200 yards from my work but I will drive seven miles to Stile's Switch if I want bbq. The only comment I have is that Rudy's claims to be the worst BBQ in Texas. They're correct, they are. And so is Dickey's.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1851
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 09:24:39 (permalink)
    A Dickies JUST opened up in town.  This is a big deal because being in the northern tundra, it's the only BBQ joint in maybe 200+ miles. (excluding Applebees, TGI Fridays, and the disposable like.)  Got a half rack ribs, half pound pork, half pound brisket.  Having had quite a bit of Texas BBQ.... I was impressed.  It's no cookoff winner, but it had nice smoke, nice rub, decent sauce.   Being the only dedicated BBQ game in town, the place is PACKED and it's typically sold out well before closing.  We'll be going again.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 10:39:09 (permalink)
    Living in Dallas, I can assure you that most folks here think Dickey's BBQ is a total joke. We consider Dickey's the Micky D's of BBQ. I live less than a mile from Dicky's original location and I wouldn't eat there if they were the only BBQ in Dallas!
    Thanks goodness Dallas is blessed with over a dozen real BBQ joints with real pit masters tending smokers with tender loving care. That's the difference between a true BBQ joint and a BBQ chain.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 10:48:09 (permalink)
    brisketboy

I will share my opinion of Dickey's that I posted on another thread. I had the misfortune of being stranded at DFW some time back and was hungry. There was Dickey's. It was horrible. No discernible smoke ring on the brisket, the sausage had a mealy texture and all in all a bad experience. Now having said that I said to myself this is an airport outlet and perhaps not the best choice I could have made. A Dickey's recently opened here in Georgetown Tx so I thought I would give them another chance. I was not surprised to find that the BBQ was just as bad. There is a Rudy's not 200 yards from my work but I will drive seven miles to Stile's Switch if I want bbq. The only comment I have is that Rudy's claims to be the worst BBQ in Texas. They're correct, they are. And so is Dickey's.

Thank you, brisketboy. I totally concur!
    But, you really can't fault most of the posters here who enjoy Dickey's chain BBQ. After all, they haven't been exposed to genuine smoked Texas BBQ meats. And unfortunately for most, Dickey's is their first "BBQ" experience.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 11:23:28 (permalink)
    Though Southern New Jersey is pretty much a barren wasteland when it comes to authentic BBQ, with the exception of roadside stands that come and go, and Uncle Dewey's (which is a hike), I don't think I'll be crossing the bridge over to Philadelphia for that Dickey's location on South Street. I want to see that smoker!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 11:45:35 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

brisketboy

But, you really can't fault most of the posters here who enjoy Dickey's chain BBQ. After all, they haven't been exposed to genuine smoked Texas BBQ meats. And unfortunately for most, Dickey's is their first "BBQ" experience.

I've been 'exposed' to plenty of 'genuine smoked Texas BBQ', yet still happily use 2 for 1 coupons for Mrs. Metro and I to have an eat-in meal at Dickey's with enough leftovers for another meal at home.  Compared to spending the same money at, say, Arby's it's a 'no-brainer'.  By the same token I've been 'exposed' to Peter Luger's, too; yet I still enjoy a rib-eye at Outback every now and then.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 11:51:55 (permalink)
    There's gotta be tastier places in the bay area.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 11:58:13 (permalink)
    I have stayed at a Marriott hotel in Round Rock, TX several times and there was a Dickey's within waling distance of the hotel.  I went there often as it was convenient.  I always got the brisket wet and it was always very good.  I have had BBQ all over TX and his was not even close to the best but it worked for me at the time.  I enjoyed it at the time and I would go back but not if there was other available great BBQ close.  After a hard day, a cocktail sometimes closer is much better.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 14:43:36 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

brisketboy

I've been 'exposed' to plenty of 'genuine smoked Texas BBQ', yet still happily use 2 for 1 coupons for Mrs. Metro and I to have an eat-in meal at Dickey's with enough leftovers for another meal at home.  Compared to spending the same money at, say, Arby's it's a 'no-brainer'.  By the same token I've been 'exposed' to Peter Luger's, too; yet I still enjoy a rib-eye at Outback every now and then.

What you just uttered is  a mortal sin to some around here.........BUT I AGREE...it's what we like...our taste buds or our roots..it's something...while I'd never eat a chain pizza...I do eat at Outback....and such,if the need comes up.....I know good from OK...but sometimes ok is good, if the money is right. And before someone calls me out, around here in Jersey with tons of Mom & Pop great pizza, Pizza Hut is NEVER all right for me!!!!!!
    brisketboy
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 14:49:54 (permalink)
    Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's Caeser's are never all right form me. Now they have this new joint, Papa Murphy's. This guys gig is to charge you twenty bucks for a pizza but you gotta take it home and cook it. Like ordering a brisket sandwich and you go home and cook the brisket. What chaps my ass is people are falling for this nonsense.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 15:13:19 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

brisketboy

Jim, I consider you a buddy and so, If I should ever find myself on the receiving end of some two for one coupons to any of those chains you and Mrs. Metro enjoy, I'll be happy to send them to you.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/05/19 15:14:35
    brisketboy
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 15:45:52 (permalink)
    For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, there are two more chains that suffer a terminal case of mediocre to just plain lousy and they are right here in the Austin and are called Smokey Mo's (How original!) and Pokey-Joe's. Yeah I'll be visiting these places as well.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 16:47:53 (permalink)
    I'll agree with the "Dickey's as the McD's of BBQ" assessment.  Then again, I do occasionally actually visit McD's....
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 17:18:31 (permalink)
    kaszeta

I'll agree with the "Dickey's as the McD's of BBQ" assessment.  Then again, I do occasionally actually visit McD's....

I do too. On the road, their bathrooms are usually very clean.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 18:47:45 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

There's gotta be tastier places in the bay area.

Oh my, yes! 

The smoked tofu is absolutely divine down at the Crying Game Lounge

(That said, I can't recommend their 'Sausage Surprise'.)
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/19 18:51:42 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

brisketboy

Jim, I consider you a buddy and so, If I should ever find myself on the receiving end of some two for one coupons to any of those chains you and Mrs. Metro enjoy, I'll be happy to send them to you.

Thanks!  You can save them up and give them to me when we meet at the grand relocation of The Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum.
    WarToad
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/20 07:48:08 (permalink)
    brisketboy 

... Now they have this new joint, Papa Murphy's. This guys gig is to charge you twenty bucks for a pizza but you gotta take it home and cook it. Like ordering a brisket sandwich and you go home and cook the brisket. What chaps my ass is people are falling for this nonsense.

LOL!  We love Papa Murphys.  And it's price is more like $13 for a large.  The best part of bake at home is it's still HOT at home, plus you control the crispiness of the crust and how brown you want the cheese.  That is one chain that got it right.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/20 09:15:53 (permalink)
    brisketboy

Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's Caeser's are never all right form me. Now they have this new joint, Papa Murphy's. This guys gig is to charge you twenty bucks for a pizza but you gotta take it home and cook it. Like ordering a brisket sandwich and you go home and cook the brisket. What chaps my ass is people are falling for this nonsense.
    Sorry to read that.

If people like something, I don't usually care as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way.

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/20 11:09:13 (permalink)
    If I can't do better, and I usually can...
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 464
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/20 15:15:01 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

kaszeta

My toddler (now three) once had a blowout at a restaurant with an awfully small and cramped bathroom, so we decamped for the McD's across the street.  He shouted "Yay, clean potty!" because that's what he knows it for.
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/20 15:41:48 (permalink)
    Too funny, Heartbreaksoup. Usually I'm kinda shy about letting it go in a public restroom but obviously, your child had no choice. I don't blame you for leaving quietly.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/20 18:04:41 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

Twinwillow

kaszeta

My toddler (now three) once had a blowout at a restaurant with an awfully small and cramped bathroom, so we decamped for the McD's across the street.  He shouted "Yay, clean potty!" because that's what he knows it for.

Yep, McPotty is the cleanest you'll find on the road.
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/21 09:47:22 (permalink)
    WarToad 
    The best part of bake at home is it's still HOT at home, plus you control the crispiness of the crust and how brown you want the cheese.  That is one chain that got it right.

We accomplish the same result (hot, fresh, and personalized crispiness) by asking our favorite locally-owned pizzeria to "half-bake" our pie of choice and leave it uncut. Then we bring it home and finish it in our oven on a pizza stone. We get a great, non-chain pie fresh out of the oven at home using this method.

post edited by Howard Baratz - 2014/05/21 12:12:12
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/21 11:49:19 (permalink)
    What about Catshead bbq on Folsom? Menu looks good :-)
    WarToad
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/21 14:55:28 (permalink)
    Howard Baratz
    We accomplish the same result (hot, fresh, and personalized crispiness) by asking our favorite locally-owned pizzeria to "half-bake" our pie of choice and leave it uncut. Then we bring it home and finish it in our oven on a pizza stone. We get a great, non-chain pie fresh out of the oven at home using this method.

I used to do that when I live in Seattle and there were some decent pizza joints there.  It's just that in Minot, that's not the case.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/21 17:00:09 (permalink)
    Howard Baratz

WarToad 
    The best part of bake at home is it's still HOT at home, plus you control the crispiness of the crust and how brown you want the cheese.  That is one chain that got it right.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Your opinion of Dickey's BBQ Chain, please? 2014/05/21 17:01:10 (permalink)
    Howard Baratz

WarToad 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1