The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

orange julius

syrup

• Total Posts: 164
orange julius Tue, 04/20/04 1:58 PM (permalink)
Yesterday I had an Orange Julius for the first time in more than a year. It tasted good, but not as great as I remembered. I know there is a certain formula to making them (Milk,Orange Juice, Vanila, Etc,) and the taste depends on the ammount of these ingredients. My question is have anybody noticed a regional difference between Orange Julius stands ? (now mostly partof the Dairy Queen Chain.) Also, at three dollars for a medium are they overpriced ? (I know things are more expensive at a mall.)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
    RE: orange julius Tue, 04/20/04 2:14 PM (permalink)
    I haven't seen an Orange Julius in years. I didn't know they were still around.

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
      RE: orange julius Tue, 04/20/04 3:06 PM (permalink)
      I'm curious: how do you make an Orange Julius? Doesn't milk curdle when you add orange juice to it?

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
        RE: orange julius Tue, 04/20/04 3:09 PM (permalink)
        Do they still serve it with the raw egg, as they did when I was in knee pants?

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
          RE: orange julius Tue, 04/20/04 3:12 PM (permalink)
          I love these, but I can make much better ones at home. I just use OJ & vanilla ice cream. Blend. That's it. So refreshing and it's nice to be able to control the ingredients yourself.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
            RE: orange julius Wed, 04/21/04 9:07 AM (permalink)
            I also remember Orange Julius to be much better when I was younger. But is the way it is most cases.

As far as regional differences, I grew up in NJ and am now in MA. I have had a number of them at different places along the east coast. Basically if I see an 80's mall (pretty rare these days) i stop in in hopes of finding an Orange Julius. They are in the nicer malls though. They taste pretty much the same with slight variations that I attribute to the pride the kid behind the counter takes in mixing up a good batch.

Most of the time, there is no pride as the kid is too young to remember what a cultural mainstay an Orange Julius was on a mall night out with friends during the 80's.

syrup

RE: orange julius Wed, 04/21/04 10:44 AM (permalink)
              There's an Orange Julius recipie at www.recipeplace.com/b/16005/

syrup

RE: orange julius Wed, 04/21/04 11:24 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Grampy

I don't remember any raw eggs.

blake76

• Total Posts: 41
                  RE: orange julius Wed, 04/21/04 1:16 PM (permalink)
                  I think Orange Juliuses were the high point of my dad's trips to the mall as chauffeur for me and my friends in SoCal in the '80s..... :)
                  But when one opened in the Denver 'burbs a couple of years ago (also in a mall), it didn't taste anything like what I remembered. I didn't know they were owned by Dairy Queen...

Grampy

RE: orange julius Wed, 04/21/04 1:23 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by syrup

quote:
                    Originally posted by Grampy

I don't remember any raw eggs.

Dating myself again. This was back in the late 60s early 70s. The large OJ had a raw egg they would blend in. Otherwise, from the Web:

Coffeehouses have replaced many of the old Orange Julius stands, but there's still a nostalgic group of us who long for the frothy juice drinks invented decades ago by Julius Freed. Today Orange Julius has tailored its business to meet the changing demands of its customers by including several varieties of fruit drinks and updated smoothies on its menu. But it's the foamy fruit juice creation developed in the late twenties that made the company famous, and that's what I've cloned here in an improved version that's found in the new book Top Secret Recipes - Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes. The flavor and consistency is better now, plus we use the blender to dissolve the sugar before adding the ice. Use pasteurized egg whites found packaged in your local supermarket or just use egg substitute, which is also made from pasteurized egg whites.

1 1/4 cups orange juice
                    1 cup water
                    3 tablespoons egg white or egg substitute
                    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                    1/4 cup sugar
                    1 1/2 cups ice

Combine all of the ingredients except ice in a blender and blend on high speed for 15-30 seconds or until the sugar is dissolved. Add the ice and blend for another 10 to 15 seconds or so, until ice is mostly crushed yet still a bit coarse. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
                    Makes 2 16-ounce drinks.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                      RE: orange julius Wed, 04/21/04 1:30 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Dating myself again.

You mean you're not master of your domain?

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
                        RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 3:14 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I haven't seen an Orange Julius in years. I didn't know they were still around.

Exactly what I was thinking...ours closed something like ten years ago, I figured they'd gone the way of Stuckey's.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                          RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 12:47 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

I'm not going to dig out the book for the exact quote unless someone really wants it, but in William Poundstone's book Big Secrets (1982), the topic of eggs in Orange Julius is covered. A company spokesman emphatically states that the Julius recipe does not contain eggs and never has.

There are still Orange Juliuses in a few malls -- I know Winrock Mall in Albuquerque still has one, and so does the Eaton Centre in Toronto. Personally, I was always all about the raspberry Julius.

renfrew

RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 1:17 PM (permalink)
                            Stuckey's is still around! Are you talking the candy place?

Here on the East Coast, I can think of at least ten orange julius's in the NJ,CT,MA area.

Grampy

RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 1:18 PM (permalink)
                              What I remeber is that you had to ask for the egg. it was actually on the menu in the 60s, but they took it off. Still, you could ask for it. I never went near it, but a friend of mine always asked for an egg in it. Somebody bear me out here. I'm not making this up.

Lucky Bishop

RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 1:34 PM (permalink)
                                Renfrew: details, please! I'm in Allston and have been jonesing for a Julius ever since this thread opened.

To give you an example of the lengths I'm willing to go to, I quite regularly drive from Allston all the way out to Burlington to eat at the Chick-Fil-A in the Burlington Mall!

angelfood

• Total Posts: 204
                                  RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                  We have Stuckey's and Orange Julius. The OJ is at the mall and tastes like orange-flavored water. Ick.

syrup

RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Renfrew: details, please! I'm in Allston and have been jonesing for a Julius ever since this thread opened.

To give you an example of the lengths I'm willing to go to, I quite regularly drive from Allston all the way out to Burlington to eat at the Chick-Fil-A in the Burlington Mall!

There is a web site www.orangejulius.com that has a store locater.

renfrew

RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Hmm, well if your willing to go to the Burlingtom Mall, why not the Natick Mall? Go to the second level, outside of Filene's and you'll find an Orange Julius. Probably the closest to Allston.

syrup

RE: orange julius Thu, 04/22/04 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by blake76

I think Orange Juliuses were the high point of my dad's trips to the mall as chauffeur for me and my friends in SoCal in the '80s..... :)
                                        But when one opened in the Denver 'burbs a couple of years ago (also in a mall), it didn't taste anything like what I remembered. I didn't know they were owned by Dairy Queen...

I think Orange Julius is a seperate franchise; Dairy Queen owners purchase it to suppliment their menu. It's kind of like a Subway/Baskin Robbins operation. One owner has invested in two franchises and has them at the same location. I could be wrong though.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
                                          RE: orange julius Fri, 04/23/04 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                          Huh...now I'm gonna have another couple of things to look for when I'm traveling. The Stuckey's I'm thinking of wasn't a candy place, though...it was a truck stop restaurant that served the most excellent pecan milkshakes. We never had them here, but we used to always get them on family roadtrips.

OHMYGOD!!!! There's an Orange Julius in the new mall on the other side of town. OK, now I know what I have to do next week. (cannot believe I'm going to the mall just for that, I hate the mall).

renfrew

RE: orange julius Fri, 04/23/04 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                            Felix - yeah thats the stuckeys I remember. I just called it a candy shop cuz I remember my mom loading up on Stuckey Rolls. Pecan nougat thing with about 5 pounds of sugar. Anyway, they are still around.

renfrew

RE: orange julius Mon, 04/26/04 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                              Hey bishop - ever make it to the Natick mall to grab a Julius?

Lucky Bishop

RE: orange julius Mon, 04/26/04 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                                Actually, we drove right past the Natick Mall twice yesterday on our way out to NEFFA, but the mall was closed when we went out and we were stuffed with scotch eggs, Hungarian sausages, stuffed cabbage, pierogies, patties, cream squares, shortbread, jam tarts, and ginger beer on our way home!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com